My Vfr 750 Project < Lots Of Questions >

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an f3 that was gravity fed. It would rev fine, but it wouldn't run for cr@p otherwise in any gear. I prefer what the engineers at Honda set the bike up with vs what we may come up with unless we have degrees in such fields. AKA, they know best in most situations

update. Checked the exhaust with a bottle of water front 2 pipes were hot

and boiled the water. Rear 2 were cold and I could grab them. Pulled the coil packs and put the meter on then. One read 3.2 ohms other was 3.0 ohms awesome. reconnected them and put the spark plug in 1 at a time started the bike and arced top the frame. Other arced to the frame .

Suppose I should fill the carbs and check drainage next be back soon with an update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Also note the plugs both had oily looking gas residue on them when I pulled them

you may need to go back into the carbs and check out how the rear ones look. Verify the slow jets and all are cleared out and all. If you have spark, you are 1/3 of the way there. X off the coils. Clean the plugs. I'd suspect something in the rear carbs for sure now. I know how much of a pain the v4 carbs can be, I've cleaned my one set off my 95 now three times because it sat for so long. Make sure there isn't any crap in the tank. Verify that the fuel filter isn't clogged and also check the fuel pump for crap. I couldn't believe how much crap got through all three levels into my carbs. My bet is after you give the rear carbs a good cleaning (btw, I'd do all the carbs over again and very thoroughly since you are there) you will be back in business. Keep us up to date.

One other point, make sure the fuel mixture screws passages are clear, but be forewarned, there is a small o ring, and spring in there. Be careful. fwiw, I put my mixture screws at 2.25 turns out from bottom after I scribe a notch in them so I can use a straight screwdriver on them...damn Honda and their D ring!

re reading your post, I see where the two rear plugs were fouled. Make sure that the needle seats and needles themselves are clean and that the needle valves are functioning properly. You could be getting too much gas going by the needles. Also inspect the floats for cracks or gunk that has collected on them.

IDK how many people have done this, but I've found that mothers polish on a tooth brush works wonders for bringing back the color of the floats and takes off crap. But be careful to ensure you clean the float off with carb cleaner afterwards and ensure no residue from the polish remains or you'll be right back in there cleaning again. I wait until the float is completely dry so I can see if there is any polish left on there I can brush away.

I ordered some new boots when those come in ill be giving an update after another thorough cleaning. I never had the carb jet wire set or anything. The jets were clean never checked the seats.

Make sure the rear coils are grounded properly.

There is something else special about how the rear coils are fired, but can't remember what it is right now. I think the rear coils and fuel pump are tied together somehow. If you went to gravity feed and removed fuel pump and relay, you may have broken that circuit which would cause the bike to run on front 2 cylinders only.

Check that out before you kill yourself over the carbs.

Excellent I had the rear coils floating in the battery tray. I'll run a frame jumper to the bracket and see if that fixes the issue

Make sure the rear coils are grounded properly.

There is something else special about how the rear coils are fired, but can't remember what it is right now. I think the rear coils and fuel pump are tied together somehow. If you went to gravity feed and removed fuel pump and relay, you may have broken that circuit which would cause the bike to run on front 2 cylinders only.

Check that out before you kill yourself over the carbs.

so you think that'd throw the timing off or something?

Because the spark plug did spark to the frame

Archived