Michelin Pr 4

lshark

After serious internal debate I put on PR2's again. I like the wear and the ride. The PR2's are sticky enough for me and I didn't need need any improvement regarding the rain sipes here in So Cal. Cheeper is better for me.

I hated the Dunlop's it came with.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to pick up a set of 4's has anyone ridden on them for a decent period of time? I am going to be doing a Ontario West Coast run and would like to run on them if they actually live up to the Hype.

post-30832-0-70863100-1406385813.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ran mostly Dunlops on my '02 VFR800, was OK with them but probably didn't know better. When the OEM Bridgestones on my '10

VFR1200 wore out I switched to P3's, and have been a big Michelin fan ever since.

Prepping the bike for a trip to the WSBK races two weeks ago I found a 3" nail in my rear. Ordered the P4 rear from my dealer (and paid too much, almost $250).

The P4 now has just over 400 miles on it and my impression is that handling is at least as good as the P3, which I liked a lot. The miles include some highway, but mostly sporty riding, including technical and gnarly roads such as Mountain View from Pt. Arena to Booneville. With the P3 front still on, it was at least as sticky, turn-in very light, and very compliant.

Hopefully I'll get my premium price back in mileage. The most I ever got from a P3 rear was 6000, and that was with cord showing, just didn't want to buy a new tire 300 miles from home. Can anyone report on mileage?

(BTW, finally used the Dynaplug tire repair tool I've been carrying around for three years--worked great! I definitely recommend it. Of course, this was in the comfort of my own garage…)

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I read that the PR4 GT is going to be standard OEM fitment on the R1200RT, which weighs 40-50lbs less than our VFR1200's.

Does that mean the GT makes more sense?

Never really understood what made a 'GT Class' bike...

- Dan

Ran mostly Dunlops on my '02 VFR800, was OK with them but probably didn't know better. When the OEM Bridgestones on my '10

VFR1200 wore out I switched to P3's, and have been a big Michelin fan ever since.

Prepping the bike for a trip to the WSBK races two weeks ago I found a 3" nail in my rear. Ordered the P4 rear from my dealer (and paid too much, almost $250).

The P4 now has just over 400 miles on it and my impression is that handling is at least as good as the P3, which I liked a lot. The miles include some highway, but mostly sporty riding, including technical and gnarly roads such as Mountain View from Pt. Arena to Booneville. With the P3 front still on, it was at least as sticky, turn-in very light, and very compliant.

Hopefully I'll get my premium price back in mileage. The most I ever got from a P3 rear was 6000, and that was with cord showing, just didn't want to buy a new tire 300 miles from home. Can anyone report on mileage?

(BTW, finally used the Dynaplug tire repair tool I've been carrying around for three years--worked great! I definitely recommend it. Of course, this was in the comfort of my own garage…)

If you'll read this multi-page thread, you'll see mileage figures have been posted. I got five thousand miles of hard hard riding done on my first PR4 and the second one is at 7000 still have tread left.

• Member Contributer

I have a PR4 rear on the Tiger 800 that is holding up well. The T30 it replaced did 6K and did it well. The front T30 refuses to wear out, 9K and still going. By 4K a new record for the Tiger. The combination of the T30 front/PR4 rear is actually quite good as far as steering and grip goes but I feel the T30 may have a slight edge in dry grip. But it is close. Your mileage is impressive TNR

• Member Contributer

FWIW, Bridgestone is running a $40 rebate, which includes the T30.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4058/mngr/bridgestone-tire-rebate-2015.aspx

You are the F'IN MAN bro! 190/55 & 120/70 T30's for $220 shipped after rebate. That is a damn good deal. Bridgestone keeps staying around in the garage. I've wanted a set of Angel Gt's since they came out but I'm not spending an extra $75 for them when Bridgestone keeps having these killer deals. I've got a set of S20's I got for the same price last year in condoms in the garage.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Me too. I'm still riding on a set of T30's I bought when Bridgestone had a similar rebate (in '13). I've been wanting to try the PR4, but damn B-stone keep throwing deals like these. I don't mind spending a bit more for the Michelins (I do believe PR4s are better tires), but when the difference is $140/set, it's hard not to give T30 another go.

BTW, Angel GTs are great tires too. Got them on my S3R when Pirelli were giving away free front tire if you buy a rear one. Come to think of it... the last 3 sets I bought were all promo of some kind. :cool:

• Member Contributer

With this set I've got 3 complete sets (becoming a tire hoarder). I got the S20's on promo, a set of Michelin Pilot Powers on promo (for $200 shipped), both of these for the R1 in condoms on the tire rack. The M5's currently mounted on it were promo priced.

The 23GT's on the VFR were bought on promo, now a spare set of T30's. If I keep this up every set of tires I buy will be on promo. By the time I get to try those Angel GT's they'll be on close out because their next gen ST tire will be released.

• Member Contributer

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4058/mngr/bridgestone-tire-rebate-2015.aspx

You are the F'IN MAN bro! 190/55 & 120/70 T30's for $220 shipped after rebate. That is a damn good deal. Bridgestone keeps staying around in the garage. I've wanted a set of Angel Gt's since they came out but I'm not spending an extra $75 for them when Bridgestone keeps having these killer deals. I've got a set of S20's I got for the same price last year in condoms in the garage.

Thanks again.

Out of curiosity, how do you typically store your tires in "condoms"? I know they're not really condoms, but is there anything you do to the tires or put in the bag before you store them? What other considerations need to be taken into account? I have typically have passed on some tire deals in the past because I don't feel real comfortable storing tires when I don't know how long they'll be sitting around. Seems like most of the tire deals come after I already spooned on a new set too! Although tire deals do come and go, sometimes there's a deal too good to want to pass up!

• Member Contributer

Thanks again.

Out of curiosity, how do you typically store your tires in "condoms"? I know they're not really condoms, but is there anything you do to the tires or put in the bag before you store them? What other considerations need to be taken into account? I have typically have passed on some tire deals in the past because I don't feel real comfortable storing tires when I don't know how long they'll be sitting around. Seems like most of the tire deals come after I already spooned on a new set too! Although tire deals do come and go, sometimes there's a deal too good to want to pass up!

Large black garbage bags for me .

Key to tire storage is to avoid temp swings, which mimics heat cycling that ages the tire compound. Ideally, store them in air conditioned location. Do not throw them up in the attic.

I have a PR4 rear on the Tiger 800 that is holding up well. The T30 it replaced did 6K and did it well. The front T30 refuses to wear out, 9K and still going. By 4K a new record for the Tiger. The combination of the T30 front/PR4 rear is actually quite good as far as steering and grip goes but I feel the T30 may have a slight edge in dry grip. But it is close. Your mileage is impressive TNR

That was just the rear! 1st front got 13,000 miles. Spooned on a new front this past fall & have about 1500 on it now.

• Member Contributer

The Girl will get 10K out of her front T30 and she is fairly quick actually. I get 3 to 4 K out of a T30 front but when I park they are blue and smoking usually. A normal front tire for me is 1,700 miles so the T30 is tough. Thing is the steer and grip like a sport tire. Wish they could get th erear to last as well.

• Member Contributer

I stuck with regular PR4's. GT's were about $10 more, but after digging, I don't think I need the stiffer sidewall.

- Dan

• Member Contributer

I stuck with regular PR4's. GT's were about $10 more, but after digging, I don't think I need the stiffer sidewall.

- Dan

After looking around I also found no need for the GT as it didn't seem like it would offer better life, only a harsher ride

I had the normal PR4 and after 8000 Km the front was complete gone with extreme "cubbing". I can't understand that they propose for the BMW R1200RT the "GT" version because of his weight and the VFR1200F the normal version with the same weight.

The rear no problem normal wear.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, Bridgestone is running a $40 rebate, which includes the T30.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4058/mngr/bridgestone-tire-rebate-2015.aspx

Thanks again.

I bought a tire rack from Home Depot and bolted it to the wall. Was pretty inexpensive, maybe $50, and entirely bought for motorcycle tires. I got tired of waiting to order tires when I need them and tired of passing up deals like this. I stick each tire in a recycling bag and put them on the rack until use. With tire storage the key is to keep them off the ground. I'm try to get all the air out of the bag, that's about it. My garage is heavily insulated (attic) and the garage door is well sealed.

A3025425-93F4-4DA4-ADAF-E8E3FEE01ED5_zps

• Member Contributer

I had the normal PR4 and after 8000 Km the front was complete gone with extreme "cubbing". I can't understand that they propose for the BMW R1200RT the "GT" version because of his weight and the VFR1200F the normal version with the same weight.

The rear no problem normal wear.

What tire pressure did you keep the front inflated to?

- Dan

• Member Contributer

PR4's being mounted today. Now that riding weather has returned to CHicago area, I'll be riding more and more. Will report on the tires once I break them in a bit.

_ Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived