Michelin Pr 4

lshark

I have about 3500 miles on my PR4s now & have no reservations about buying them. The front looks brand new, but the rear is beginning to flatspot a little (daily commuter bike).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still using the PR3 but thinking about going to the PR4 when mine are done. For my customers I usually just charge retail for the tires but do the mount and balance for free. The end price usually works out better that way...

• Member Contributer

Had PR3s replaced with PR4s just over a week ago and done about 400 miles of commuting. First impressions of the 4s are that they feel harder than the 3s, but handling and grip are at least as good, i.e. brilliant.

Going by the performance of the 3s, of which, I've had 4 or 5 sets on the VFR12, I'm expecting great things from the 4s.

I put a set on my gen5 about 4 weeks ago and it seemed like they took longer to scrub in than the PR3 I'd been using (harder?). I like the handling now, maybe a little better than the PR3. I hope the PR4 rear do not wear as bad on the left side as the PR3 did for me (lots of cupping on the left as well). My last 3 sets of PR3 rears wore out the left sides leaving over 50 percent on the right.

The new PR4 have chamfered the tread grooves to counter act this tendency but I think they're starting to do it again (not as bad though). It may not be fair to blame the tire...I probably go slower on right turns (can't see as much apex?).

I have ended up with more wear (cupping?) on the right side of the front tire. I also wondered about how I was cornering, however the dealer suggested this happens because roads are generally cambered away from the centre to promote water run off. NZ drives on the opposite side of the road to the US so this might explain why different sides of the tire affected. Maybe someone knows the science for sure?

I get the same thing on my 2010 VFR1200 DCT with OEM tires. The left side of the tire is wearing of much faster than on the right - especially in the front.

I thought maybe it was due to the DCT (5.5 lbs) being on the right side of the bike. If I check bike balance by riding hands free the bike will go the right. My theory is I am always leaning slightly left to counteract this tendency leading to more tire wear on the left.

Does this make sense or am I over analyzing things?

I get the same thing on my 2010 VFR1200 DCT with OEM tires. The left side of the tire is wearing of much faster than on the right - especially in the front.

I thought maybe it was due to the DCT (5.5 lbs) being on the right side of the bike. If I check bike balance by riding hands free the bike will go the right. My theory is I am always leaning slightly left to counteract this tendency leading to more tire wear on the left.

Does this make sense or am I over analyzing things?

I think this is more a thing whit most tires, as today`s roads are build so the lean slightly towards the edge, so as it rains the water faster drain from the road. Of corse this mean thous living in countrys whit left side traffic should find the opposite wear pattern.

The PR4 is sure intresting and a evolution of the PR3 that didn´t work as good as the PR2(in all areas), even I do hear Busa riders getting very good milage from the rear PR3, seen the front wears bad more easy.

But its still very costy.....

The reason one side of the tire wears much more than the other is because it is farther around the curves or corners in that direction.

For example, in countries where we ride on the right side of the road even a 180* turn to the right might only be half the distance on the side of the tire than that same corner taken in the other direction.

For those of us lucky enough to spend more than half our time in the twisties you will always see one side of the tire raising the white flag while the shorter distance side is still ready for at least a couple hundred additional miles.

Thanks for the various reply's. That all makes sense.

I spoke with the service manager at the local Honda dealership; he said 90+% of the tires he sees are worn more on the left side due to road camber. The fronts wear more than the backs.

He said some of the Goldwing riders are running 42 lbs in the fronts (and backs) and it helps reduce uneven front wear somewhat.

I also found a nail in my front tire, so will most likely go with a new pair of Michelin PR 4's.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the various reply's. That all makes sense.

I spoke with the service manager at the local Honda dealership; he said 90+% of the tires he sees are worn more on the left side due to road camber. The fronts wear more than the backs.

He said some of the Goldwing riders are running 42 lbs in the fronts (and backs) and it helps reduce uneven front wear somewhat.

I also found a nail in my front tire, so will most likely go with a new pair of Michelin PR 4's.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I run 42/42 on my ST1300 as well...front vs rear wear is more due to riding style or weight distribution in my experience and road camber has very little to do with tire wear.

When you have an opportunity, walk a curve in both directions and see how the left turn (on the same corner) is almost twice the distance of the right turn and you may grasp the tire wear issue.

Then think about how your bike would react if the road crown was enough to make you ride on the left of side of your tire consistently...would you not HAVE to correct that by steering inputs or shifting your body/weight?

If the service manager lived where they ride on the other side of the road he would see 90+% of the tire wear on the right side.

• Member Contributer

Not to mention the fact that most people(who are right handed) corner left much better then right and at a higher rate of speed on left turns.

Dont have to walk a corner to figure that out .

I ride the same road most of the time(both direction) and the right of tire as your standing in front of bike as always wears out first because my left hand turn are at least 15 mph faster .

Oh yeah the mileage is same .

• Member Contributer

Tires wear out?

Exactly my thought! This does not happen!

Seriously though, I've yet to hear any reviews that make me try the newer pr tires over the pr2. Until Michelin stops making them, which I suspect won't happen for a while since the pr3 didn't turn out to be a replacement, I won't switch. Have fun trying the latest and greatest in tires, I know what they are.

At 4000 miles on my PR4s now & I'm extremely happy with them in all road conditions.

THAT SAID, the rear has begun to flatspot & I'll be surprised if I get 6000 miles out of it before it's gone (probably less). I was hoping to get more, although I do ride quite aggressively. This is a commuter bike so lots of highway time = flat spotted tire.

The front is wearing evenly & has plenty of tread left. Never had a moments trouble with it.

Going to try a PR2 on the rear next to see if I get any longer life.

I will say the PR4s are outstanding in the wet as well as dry.

• Member Contributer

Just put a couple hundred miles on a new PR4 gt and it seemed to grip pretty good except on hot smooth pavement where the rear end stepped out a couple of times. But that was when pushing it pretty hard on coastal backroads around Petaluma, but on Chelano Valley Rd., Hicks Valley, Petaluma Marshall road and Hwy 1 from Marshall to Tomales they held well even when tickling my toes(damn toe sliders sure wear out fast) I still think the PR 2's feel is more comparable to the PP's than the new PR4's.

Ive only ran one GT tire and that was the BT23 GT, I had similar results in tight corners with some slippage on the sides, it may be the extra belt in the gt tires, the vfr is not heavy enough in that aspect.

I imagine 2 up they would be fine

My new set of PR4's came in today and will be mounted tomorrow. Very interested in the results. I will be taking the bike on a couple thousand mile tour in a month or so. I will really get a good test on them then.

About 4500 miles now; front still looks great, rear is getting a small flat spot (daily commuter). I ride pretty aggressively, so not surprised it's worn this much.

Front:

20140613_170348_zpsjsyppriw.jpg

Rear:

20140613_170429_zpssckpags3.jpg

Looking forward to mounting up a set of PR4s before my annual mancation to the Indy MotoGP round in August.

I buy from my former race tire supplier (out of loyalty more than anything else, although he does hook me up with a very decent deal).

My (used) bike came with PR3s and my reaction has been sort of "meh" with them compared to the PR2s which I got along well with on the '03 800.

But then, I didn't know if that was the 1200 or the tire -- so it's interesting to see that confirmed a bit on this thread.

Nothing beats fresh rubber -- it's like getting a new bike all over again ;)

What pressures do the PR4s call for?

Well the pair are mounted and looking good. Nice test ride home today even though it rained the entire way. No real report on feel other than another great PR tire in the rain! Maybe tomorrow will be better but then again it is Florida in summer, it rains everyday...

• Member Contributer

CVVFR put a set on in Denver during our long trip. Hoping he'll chime in with a review.

I'm still finishing off the PR3's I had put on in Utah last year on another ride. So far, almost 7000 miles out of the 3's and I'm quite happy with them.

Even being worn at least 75% or more, they handled very well in the rainy ride home (really rainy I might add).

Looking at the 4's for replacement my local Honda Powerhouse (in Canada) wants $280 for fronts and $322 for rears, plus $116 for install. $720 plus taxes? I think I'll go South.

There's a dealer in Coure d'Alene offing installed for around $500 US. Seems pretty clear to me as I'll be there anyway.

• Member Contributer

I love the PR2 s on both my (working) fifth gens. And at $300 a set for the PR2 s, PR4 s (and 3 s) look expensive. I just realized I've never worn out a set of PR2 s! Both deer KIAs had PR2 s and one set went away with the totaled one. I need to ride more!

Had a 400-mile aggressive excursion over the weekend & got my new PR4 rear tire in the mail today. Another week or two & the old one will be ready to go.

20140616_165551_zpsk9fr4z3j.jpg

20140616_165605_zpsqrgjxfjr.jpg

20140616_165615_zps1n5t7w2m.jpg

• Member Contributer

... I just realized I've never worn out a set of PR2 s! Both deer KIAs had PR2 s and one set went away with the totaled one. I need to ride more!

What are they using for mold release on the PR2s... doe urine?!?

• Member Contributer

... I just realized I've never worn out a set of PR2 s! Both deer KIAs had PR2 s and one set went away with the totaled one. I need to ride more!

HA! Funny. But you just gave me an idea. I'm going to start peeing on my tires before I ride in deer teritory just so they know I'm coming. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

HA! Funny. But you just gave me an idea. I'm going to start peeing on my tires before I ride in deer teritory just so they know I'm coming. :laugh:
I thought everyone did that.

Just an FYI; have 5,000 miles on my PR4s now; front tire is still in good shape but the rear will be replaced next week. Incidentally, I plugged the rear tire with only 500 miles on it & not an ounce of trouble out of the plug since then~

Archived