Michelin Pr 4

lshark

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm surprised they don't recommend the PR4 GT for the VFR1200... Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking the same thing...is the FJR a heavier bike than the VFR1200?

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised they don't recommend the PR4 GT for the VFR1200... Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

They do recommend for the VFR1200... right around 0:45. It's the first bike mentioned right there with the Suzuki Bandit

• Member Contributer

They do recommend for the VFR1200... right around 0:55! It's right there with the Suzuki Bandit

The reference was for the GT model, they mention the FJR and BMW, the VFR1200 was mentioned but not in reference to the GT version.

• Member Contributer

They do recommend for the VFR1200... right around 0:55! It's right there with the Suzuki Bandit

The reference was for the GT model, they mention the FJR and BMW, the VFR1200 was mentioned but not in reference to the GT version.

Gotcha... my bad. I guess they are classifying the VFR1200 as a pure Sport Tourer and not a GT (Grand Touring?) class bike

the GT seems to feature a hybrid radial/bias belt construction...i guess they feel that the VFR deserves the full sport model, probably based on the way they feel the bikes will be ridden

if you have seen the promo stuff from Michelin, it seems that the VFR1200 was used as a test bed for developing the PR3 and PR4 standard. it seems that the PR4 GT was designed in part to be an OEM tire for the BMW1200RT

i guess that the GT would be a good choice for the VFR1200 if you primarily use it 2 up with luggage....the tire selector on the Michelin website doesn't suggest the GT for the VFR but it is available in the sizes

So for the price is the only problem I see ...

I did the math on the pr3 vs. the pilot power and cost the same to run either of the two,the only advantage would be less changes.So if you change your own tires which I do pilot power is still the best option,unless you were doing a long tour.I'm talking rear's only,the front another ball of wax all together.

Actually, there are other problem with running sporbike tires on heavier rigs like the VFR1200.

1. Sportbike tires are constructed to yield optimum result with relatively lightweight machines. Mounted on ST bikes, the tire could potentially flex excessively under load, overheat and wear rapidly.

2. Sportbike tires will likely wear uneven on heavier bikes. I ran a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front and a Metzeler M5 rear when I first got my VFR1200 (got a killer deal on this set of mix match), while they worked well handling wise, the front wore very quickly, as expected, and cupped badly. The M5 rear faired better, but it too also wore the center flat within a couple of thousand miles.

The GT tire thing is a tricky question. I just picked up a set of Bridgestone T30 for the VFR1200. I was interested in the PR4 too, but the intro offer I got on the T30 was just too good a deal to pass up. Anyhow, the distributor said Bridgestone apparently recommended a GT front and a non-GT rear for the VFR1200. Based on my experience with the Pirelli/Metzeler, I can see why.

• Member Contributer

So for the price is the only problem I see ...

I did the math on the pr3 vs. the pilot power and cost the same to run either of the two,the only advantage would be less changes.So if you change your own tires which I do pilot power is still the best option,unless you were doing a long tour.I'm talking rear's only,the front another ball of wax all together.

I change my own. But i have 5 sets on hand right now. So next year probably will be my first set of PR4's.

Hurry up and put some miles on those and report back... I need to decide between the PR4 and PR3... And now I need to figure out if I need/want the GT version of the PR4 or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I replaced my OEM's with a set on Pirelli Angel GTs, put 3500 miles on them in a weeks ride from Reno to Kansas City and back....nothing but spectacular...with a Track Day coming up in April...and thats saying that the OEM's werent that bad on the track back in April...

About 60 lbs heavier with a full tank of fuel (almost two gallons more than the VFR). The VFR is a virtual lightweight by comparison. The FJR is also very top heavy. 6.6 gallons of fuel up high, electric windshield motor, and the battery is in the upper fairing! Parking lot maneuvers with the wife on the back were always white knuckle moments for me. I don't miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

60 pounds sounds about right between my 08 FJR and the 13 VFR Dave. My VFR feels even lighter than the 60 pound difference due to it's lower CG.

my 2000 Valkyrie is only 75 lbs more than the VFR !!! and very low CG !! it handles pretty damn good !! tires aren't too sticky tho ...wish it had a 17" rear wheel, the PR4's would be nice on there !!

Had PR3s replaced with PR4s just over a week ago and done about 400 miles of commuting. First impressions of the 4s are that they feel harder than the 3s, but handling and grip are at least as good, i.e. brilliant.

Going by the performance of the 3s, of which, I've had 4 or 5 sets on the VFR12, I'm expecting great things from the 4s.

Archived