Michelin Pr 4

lshark

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

my 2000 Valkyrie is only 75 lbs more than the VFR !!! and very low CG !! it handles pretty damn good !! tires aren't too sticky tho ...wish it had a 17" rear wheel, the PR4's would be nice on there !!

Valkyrie 660lbs dry ?

VFR dry 481lbs .

Dry weight GoldWing 803 lbs.

not a Gold Wing it's a Valkyrie ...681 lbs dry VFR1200... 591 lbs wet .....diff is a little over 100 lbs

I am happy to trade faster wear for feel to a point. I have just done 7000 kms on Michelin Pilot Power 3s. The tyre wear indicator is not quite reached so probably 1000 kms legally left. They feel better than the PR3 to me and as good as some earlier Dunlop SportSmarts I had. The SportSmarts were toast at 5000 kms so PP3s probably my pick. A hard pick though as the PR3 got about 20% better wear, however I can get another set of PP3s at $NZ525 fitted rather than PR3 at $NZ585. I cannot find a discounted price yet for the PR4 as probably too new onto the market, however from what is said here, probably no advantage to me as just longer wearing.

• Member Contributer

not a Gold Wing it's a Valkyrie ...681 lbs dry VFR1200... 591 lbs wet .....diff is a little over 100 lbs

The big girl oh yeah too heavy for me ...

my 2000 Valkyrie is only 75 lbs more than the VFR !!! and very low CG !! it handles pretty damn good !! tires aren't too sticky tho ...wish it had a 17" rear wheel, the PR4's would be nice on there !!

Valkyrie 660lbs dry ?

VFR dry 481lbs .

^^^^^

Yes, a little over... like 145 lbs. :happy:

Mfrs used to get real "creative" with dry weights, excluding things like battery, brake pads, tires, and even brake discs. Just about anything that can be construed as "routine maintenance replaceable" was fair game. They've gotten a bit better about it over the years, but still there is little consistency on how different mfrs measure "dry" weight. I don't even bother paying attention to those. Curb, or ready to ride, weight is much more useful to the rider.

Valkyrie's curb weight is 736 lbs. The Rune is 838 lbs. The new 2014 Valkyrie is supposedly around 750 lbs.

Anyhoo... any feedback on the PR4's yet. BTW, anybody know if Michelin recommends the B-Spec version for the VFR1200? 591 lbs might be heavy compared to 450 lbs litre sports, but is still a far cry from the 700+ lbs big rigs like K1600 and C14.

The big girl oh yeah too heavy for me ...

Valkyrie 660lbs dry ?

VFR dry 481lbs .

^^^^^

the Valk is a pretty damn good handling bike, esp for her size...all that weight is down very low, giving it a unique feel...and like the VFR,and most Hondas, that weight disappears as soon as you get rolling....wish i could find some stickier rubber for it though, the Metzeler 880's are like bricks compared to the PR3's esp in the cold..but it's a 16" rear.....i lit up the rear the other day jumping on it out of a slow turn and got a little sideways but she handled it fine, i just stayed on the throttle and rode it out.....i really bought it for riding with my harleyboys from work and to stop me from wrenching too much on the VFR, but this bike is a pisser to ride....amazing machine

wanna hear something crazy ??? these guys on the Valk forum page are running automobile tires on the rear and rear m/c tires on the front mounted reverse rotation !!!!!!! yikes !!!!!

one guy asked for advise on his front end prob...hit a bump at 3/4 throttle and the fr wheel made this oscillation !!!! i replied, congrats, you did your first wheelie !!!

• Member Contributer

Had PR3s replaced with PR4s just over a week ago and done about 400 miles of commuting. First impressions of the 4s are that they feel harder than the 3s, but handling and grip are at least as good, i.e. brilliant.

Going by the performance of the 3s, of which, I've had 4 or 5 sets on the VFR12, I'm expecting great things from the 4s.

I put a set on my gen5 about 4 weeks ago and it seemed like they took longer to scrub in than the PR3 I'd been using (harder?). I like the handling now, maybe a little better than the PR3. I hope the PR4 rear do not wear as bad on the left side as the PR3 did for me (lots of cupping on the left as well). My last 3 sets of PR3 rears wore out the left sides leaving over 50 percent on the right.

The new PR4 have chamfered the tread grooves to counter act this tendency but I think they're starting to do it again (not as bad though). It may not be fair to blame the tire...I probably go slower on right turns (can't see as much apex?).

Had PR3s replaced with PR4s just over a week ago and done about 400 miles of commuting. First impressions of the 4s are that they feel harder than the 3s, but handling and grip are at least as good, i.e. brilliant.

Going by the performance of the 3s, of which, I've had 4 or 5 sets on the VFR12, I'm expecting great things from the 4s.

I put a set on my gen5 about 4 weeks ago and it seemed like they took longer to scrub in than the PR3 I'd been using (harder?). I like the handling now, maybe a little better than the PR3. I hope the PR4 rear do not wear as bad on the left side as the PR3 did for me (lots of cupping on the left as well). My last 3 sets of PR3 rears wore out the left sides leaving over 50 percent on the right.

The new PR4 have chamfered the tread grooves to counter act this tendency but I think they're starting to do it again (not as bad though). It may not be fair to blame the tire...I probably go slower on right turns (can't see as much apex?).

I have ended up with more wear (cupping?) on the right side of the front tire. I also wondered about how I was cornering, however the dealer suggested this happens because roads are generally cambered away from the centre to promote water run off. NZ drives on the opposite side of the road to the US so this might explain why different sides of the tire affected. Maybe someone knows the science for sure?

• Member Contributer

Maybe the more popular term to describe the type of wear I see is scalloping (terms used on other PR3 threads). The leading edge of the tire grooves get rounded and the trailing edge develops a lip (google pr3 scallop for pics). My theory is that this tire design is sensitive to certain riding habits (maybe I can correct them as not all users experience the same problem with this tire). Whatever side we ride on where we can see further around the corner is the one we tend to be more aggressive with trail braking or engine braking. it's kind of a vicious circle for me because the new PR4 does seem to grip better than the PR3...,which means I'll end up tossing them with nearly new right side and worn off left side (or learn to ride differently..or loose weight to not stress them as much). Who knows, maybe I'm a candidate for the GT heavy bike model tires..anyone actually use these to stop scalloping?

I'm a little disappointed that road2 prices haven't fallen, I paid $159 for a road 2 rear and that's about the most Ive ever paid for one, road 3 seems is the same cost.

I have no issue with the road 2, but not sure if they are ending stock or still being made.

• Member Contributer

I'm a little disappointed that road2 prices haven't fallen, I paid $159 for a road 2 rear and that's about the most Ive ever paid for one, road 3 seems is the same cost.

I have no issue with the road 2, but not sure if they are ending stock or still being made.

Did the PR3s have better mileage than the PR2s. The fat man says the PR4s have better mileage than the PR3s.

I'm going to be looking at tires in the next few weeks. Do you guys buy your rubber online or do you give your money to local businesses? I've always been a little skeptical about buying something SO important online...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I'm going to be looking at tires in the next few weeks. Do you guys buy your rubber online or do you give your money to local businesses? I've always been a little skeptical about buying something SO important online...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I would go broke buying from a dealer so I mostly buy online with very few exceptions where I may get a set from a dealer or Cycle Gear. Never had an issue buying online. I spent $2,500 on tires last season and I rode less miles than average. I change my own tires which is a major time and money saver as the VFR alone is good for a set a month when the weather is good.

The NC is taking some of the riding load this year which is really saving me money on tires and fuel. Who knew fun could be so cheap?

KEB

I'm blessed with a local dealer that sells them cheaper than I can get online on most tires. That said, I have bought tires online and have no problem with that. The only thing with buying online is you cannot really check the date code prior to putting down your money. Not a problem if you are buying relatively new tires like the PR4, but for tires that have been around a while, like the PR2, the possibility is there that you might get one that's a few yrs old.

Where are you guys buying your PR4s online? There is a local shop that has the set for ~$365 (after tax). It's a better price than Revzilla and you save an extra $20 on installation if you buy the tires from this shop. This seems to be the best price I've found, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spots.

• Member Contributer

Just a little insert since we're talking battery prices. I was talking with a family member in Hungary who rides. The cost of tires went up in price so much in the last year that a set of tires now costs him 1/2 his MONTHLY paycheck. And he doesn't pump gas for a living either.

a quick check online ....PR4 190/55ZR-17....Competition Accessories...$193.99 ...Bike Bandit 203.95 ...Revzilla $218.48

• Member Contributer

I got a set shipped for $309 from Sportbike Toy Store in Florida. Check their price and then look for a discount code (on-line search will turn it up) for another 5% off. Best price I could find.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just put a PR4 gt on my 94 4th gen that I leave on the coast and only got about 70 mi ride on thurs and they seemed very similar to the PR 3 that it replaced. Had to go w/ the gt because it's the only one in a 170/17. I'll be back on the coast next wed - sat so I sould be able to get a better feel for them.

I get the same thing on my 2010 VFR1200 DCT with OEM tires. The left side of the tire is wearing of much faster than on the right - especially in the front.

I thought maybe it was due to the DCT (5.5 lbs) being on the right side of the bike. If I check bike balance by riding hands free the bike will go the right. My theory is I am always leaning slightly left to counteract this tendency leading to more tire wear on the left.

Does this make sense or am I over analyzing things?

I get the same thing on my 2010 VFR1200 DCT with OEM tires. The left side of the tire is wearing of much faster than on the right - especially in the front.

I thought maybe it was due to the DCT (5.5 lbs) being on the right side of the bike. If I check bike balance by riding hands free the bike will go the right. My theory is I am always leaning slightly left to counteract this tendency leading to more tire wear on the left.

Does this make sense or am I over analyzing things?

I think this is more a thing whit most tires, as today`s roads are build so the lean slightly towards the edge, so as it rains the water faster drain from the road. Of corse this mean thous living in countrys whit left side traffic should find the opposite wear pattern.

The PR4 is sure intresting and a evolution of the PR3 that didn´t work as good as the PR2(in all areas), even I do hear Busa riders getting very good milage from the rear PR3, seen the front wears bad more easy.

But its still very costy.....

Archived