Michelin Pr 4

lshark

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 8121 out of my OE Dunlops but planned to get at least 500 more till I ran over a fair sized something. The PR4 got baptized almost immediately. Better feel dry and much more confidence inspiring in driving rain.

• Member Contributer

I now have about 100 miles on the PR4's (and the bike, before the snow returned to Chicago)

Like them - they are a non-issue, I don't think about them, bike does what I want. Still slowly pushing the bike harder in the leans, but nothing at all to indicate I couldn't take these to the peg feelers. So far so good, nice transition from side to side, holds a line well, doesn't feel soft (e.g., like I should have gotten the GT's...)

Really like them. Feels planted. Haven't ridden in the rain yet, so that test will come as the weather improves and I can commute on the bike again.

-Dan

ahhh yes..put about 50 miles on the new PR4 rear ...new front PR4 has 150 miles from before the recent ice age set in.....feels nice....can't say if i feel any difference from the PR3, but she feels good !!!..changed the final drive oil while i had the tire off...i'm ready for spring

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

My PR4s went on yesterday. Got 8163 miles out of the OEM Dunlops. Probably could have gone about another 500 miles.

And those PR4's came off today. I got 16540 miles out of them. Replaced by another set of PR4's. Great tires.

Swimmer while you rode 16,540, I've gone just over 3,000 and now I know I'll be able to look forward to at least 13,000 more miles. They feel great. Thanks.

My PR4s went on yesterday. Got 8163 miles out of the OEM Dunlops. Probably could have gone about another 500 miles.

And those PR4's came off today. I got 16540 miles out of them. Replaced by another set of PR4's. Great tires.

How much tread did you have left at 16,540 miles and what tire pressure were you running to get that kind of mileage? I'm on my 2nd set of PR4 and thought 12,000 miles was good.

Other than nursing the bike everywhere, PR4's will not return that kind of mileage, especially on a 300kg bike. 12-13k is as good as it gets in reality, but drive the bike hard and it'll chew through them in no time - I've had PR4's since day of release on a variety of bikes and can testify to what I'm saying.

Looks like I'll probably get about 10k out of the front. The back on the other hand looks like I might get 15k out of it... WTH is with that. I've never had a bike that chewed through front tires so much faster than a rear.

• Member Contributer

How much tread did you have left at 16,540 miles and what tire pressure were you running to get that kind of mileage? I'm on my 2nd set of PR4 and thought 12,000 miles was good.

The front tire was down to the wear bars, the rear almost there. I run 40psi front, 42psi rear. A lot of highway miles and open stretches of road for me living in the southwest US. Most people shouldn't expect that kind of mileage from these tires but its possible without being overly concerned about getting max mileage.

• Member Contributer

How the hell, people get 12,000 miles out of a motorcycle tyre beats me, I think the PR4's in the wet are really good, but millage, cupping on the front tyre starts at 4,000 miles, and at that point the rear is just starting to square off, which at that point I change the tyre anyway. 4,000 max for me.

• Member Contributer

How the hell, people get 12,000 miles out of a motorcycle tyre beats me, I think the PR4's in the wet are really good, but millage, cupping on the front tyre starts at 4,000 miles, and at that point the rear is just starting to square off, which at that point I change the tyre anyway. 4,000 max

^^

Beats me as well, must be the way us Brits ride. Angel GTs on mine 6000 rear were showing canvas. Front could have got more but i change pairs at a time.

Just put the new Metzeler Roadtec 01s on my BBird. MCN sport touring tyre of the year. We will see.

• Member Contributer

Although I do post what mileage I get, it's mostly for a reference, as I know not everyone will get the same. Considering a lot goes into tire wear considerations, riding style, pavement, air pressures, etc. the term YMMV is really true when it comes to tires. With my 6 Gen (commuting/touring) I use the PP3 front with a PR4 rear and can get over 10k miles more than once (13.6k & 11.2k with the last two sets) but on my 5 Gen (sport riding/track days) I run PP3s front/rear I get around 4-6k (5.8k max). Here not all of my time is in the twisty stuff as most of the good riding areas are between 35-50 miles from my house, so a lot of slab riding goes with my local sport riding adventures. Even though I am more aggressive than most of my riding buddies, I am not a VR or MM on the streets, so maybe I would get a lot less if I did more track days and was even more aggressive in the canyons.

When looking at the 16k miles reported, knowing how he rides, where he rides and what kind of care is given to the tires would really help put it in perspective. Although I would love to get that mileage, I'm just happy to even surpass 10k just once!

How the hell, people get 12,000 miles out of a motorcycle tyre beats me, I think the PR4's in the wet are really good, but millage, cupping on the front tyre starts at 4,000 miles, and at that point the rear is just starting to square off, which at that point I change the tyre anyway. 4,000 max for me.

Same here, I really like the PR4s and would say they're the best road tyre I've used in the wet and are very capable in dry conditions. But I've never got more than 4000 out of a set of anything and 3000 is about my average for a rear.

Go round corners more

(I'm joking, I'm joking!)

• Member Contributer

Go round corners more

(I'm joking, I'm joking!)

You obviously don't know me.

• Member Contributer

I got 2,000 miles out of my rear PR4GT at TMAC last year. About 400 more than U would have expected. Great wearing tire, probably the best sport touring tire for wear.

• Member Contributer

Same. But I try to remember people commute on these things, and buy twinkies at the store. Mine is only used for aggressive sport riding so my tires never last that long. I just replaced the tires on my VFR and I think the last set was 2XXX miles. The rear was shot, and the front was cupping.

• Member Contributer

Same. But I try to remember people commute on these things, and buy twinkies at the store. Mine is only used for aggressive sport riding so my tires never last that long. I just replaced the tires on my VFR and I think the last set was 2XXX miles. The rear was shot, and the front was cupping.

I agree, I normally only get between 2-2500 miles out of a rear tyre, but I have to admit, I did get 4,000 out of a PR4 rear tyre. But I did not have the same feel as the Dunlop, give me grip over millage any day.

Archived