If You Love Your Vfr1200 And Are Allowed A Second Bike, What Is It?

LoopRider

I go thru bikes like most people go thru socks....put a ton of miles on one, sell it, and move on. Since '68 I'm on number 63...

When I got the VFR I had an '80 R100RS, Husqvarna TE310 and had just sold a Stelvio NTX to a buddy....

Sold the R100RS and TE310 and picked up a TR650 and a mint (14k mile) 2004 R1150RT, and recently sold the TR650 and picked up a DRZ400 to do a few offroad trips I had on the books.

After Death Valley and Moab next Spring, it might get replaced with another KTM

I'm still scratching my head on how this information was to be used by the OP...?

That it isn't that critical to get the choice just right. That sauntering through the journey is often more fun than arriving at the destination. That experiencing the unexpected might be more rewarding than getting it right on the first shot.

I say this because I know exactly where blackbird is coming from. I myself went through 10 bikes since I got back to riding some 3yrs ago. VFR1200 and S3R are 9th and 10th, but each one that preceded them was a great experience in and of themselves. I don't think I would have appreciate these last two bikes quite as much - and in more nuanced ways - as I do now, if I did not have the benefit of having owned all the others.

Take it easy, man. Go ahead and take a piece from that box of chocolates.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

All joking aside, the Honda CBR600RR is really a great bike, I love taking it out for rides and my wife absolutely loves this bike. I know the OP said no sportbikes but this bike fits my wife perfectly. She is 5'7" and 115lbs, the bike is light and has a low seat height, at least have her test ride one before you right it off. I'm glad that I did, plus there are tons of aftermarket and support for these.(Arguably the most popular bike of all). :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

@ Volfy and Blakebird...I now understand what you have pointed out. I didn't get what he (Blakebird) was saying. I wish I was financially independent enough to enjoy the luxury of doing that. For me, every purchase I make (car, house, motorcycle) is an event that costs me money (mostly depreciation for vehicles and interest for a mortgage). I just can't afford to "play around" and experience lots of bikes...wish I could!

Right now the two different bikes I own are for different purposes, the ST1300 for two up with my wife, and the CB1R for me. When we replace a bike for my wife (I think what the OP is doing), it will be something light, with a lower seat, and not crazy powerful. CB500F is one of the front runners at this point...I can't imaging my wife on a Speed Triple R!

hehe... I could be wrong about the whole thing, for all I know. I just like the thought of it. :happy:

Quite a few of the bikes I bought I actually end up selling for more than what I paid for them. The '08 ZX10R I bought from a guy that lived in Baytown, TX but was working in Pennsylvania (probably the oil fields there). He apparently was never home enough to ride it much (500 miles on the clock when I bought it in '11) and ended up buying another bike up in Penn. His wife got tired of it sitting in the garage and wanted it gone. He probably made enough money there he couldn't care less. I paid $5k for it and later traded it in for $6200. I probably could've sold it privately for more than $7k, but I can't complain.

The Green Ninja wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. Ended up being an 6-month test ride, and it let me know I didn't care for an I4 litre sport that hard-edged. It made me look for - and found - an '08 RSV1000R Factory, which I took to like bees to honey. The Italian V-twin hit every button the Japanese inline4 had missed. But, of course, it was a love affair I knew wouldn't last. As voluptuous as the V-twin Italian Goddess was, it just wan't daily practical. Keeping a bike that nice only to be let out to see the sun on the most perfect of Sundays wasn't something I could afford. So the quest continued....

post-23836-0-22145400-1387209106.jpg

• Member Contributer

FZ-09 for sure. But wait for anti-lock brakes.

Yup, buy the new Yamaha. Reviews are awesome. On the cheaper end, find a good, used, FI'd, SV650.

Cant wait to see it in person ...

• Member Contributer

Allowed ???? oh, you married guys are so funny !!! i have a 1983 VF750F and a 2000 Valkyrie

I know right....

ps...check my sig 9 V4 Hondas including the ST1300 that I only ride with my wife.

pps...in case she reads this 2 of the bikes are for sale, just haven't found the right buyer yet :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Allowed ???? oh, you married guys are so funny !!! i have a 1983 VF750F and a 2000 Valkyrie

I know right....

ps...check my sig 9 V4 Hondas including the ST1300 that I only ride with my wife.

pps...in case she reads this 2 of the bikes are for sale, just haven't found the right buyer yet :warranty:

I would check your sig, but it appears to have migrated up to your 'Garage' section.

• Member Contributer

I know right....

I would check your sig, but it appears to have migrated up to your 'Garage' section.

Oh yeah, I have been meaning to make a proper sig....got a message recently from someone who told me I should not be so certain of my response (was it self assured or cocky - i forget) because according to my signature I hadn't been to any events with this site.

Well, off to figure out how to cut and paste those iconic little 64x64 pictures that you folks have at the bottom of your posts

• Member Contributer

I know right....

unfortunately............or is it fortunately..............the 2 for sale don't offset the 3 that you'll buy.

The first few years of marriage we funny guys ask for permission.............years later we ask for forgiveness...........eventually we just bring bikes home and don't even mention it. My mantra............when the new toy is finally noticed.........."it was too cheap to pass up and I'll probably end up selling it".

• Member Contributer

Knowing the prices of the Street Triple here (Aus) and with my dad having just got back into riding in NZ (he ended up with a KTM 690 Duke, that's an option) I think you would need to look at a Street Triple that was a year or two old. I've ridden the current one and it was a bundle of fun. Not aware of any major problems with the older ones, though I haven't really looked into them much. Suzuki SVs are a good option as well.

Shame she didn't like the Daytona though, its a wicked fun machine and I'm happy with it complementing my VFR8 very well.

• Member Contributer

A lot of people will probably disagree but I can't stop thinking about the new KTM 1290 Super Duke R...

I love my VFR1200 for long trips and highway riding but I found I wasn't taking it out for short rides, commuting, bike nights, and summer runs to the coffee shop or ice cream parlour. It's too big, fast and sophisticated.... It's a lot of fun at high speeds but a bit of a handful at lower "around-town" speeds. so I decided I would complement it with something small, light, and simple. Something that was more fun to ride below 55mph. I also wanted something..... "cool". That's how I ended up with my GB500. It's a perfect stablemate to the VFR. Photos and stories here: http://gb500tt.blogspot.com

• Member Contributer

I know right....

unfortunately............or is it fortunately..............the 2 for sale don't offset the 3 that you'll buy.

The first few years of marriage we funny guys ask for permission.............years later we ask for forgiveness...........eventually we just bring bikes home and don't even mention it. My mantra............when the new toy is finally noticed.........."it was too cheap to pass up and I'll probably end up selling it".

This last mess we picked up, my dad just said "We're going to pick up some tooling and equipment". Not that she didn't know what was going on. But this also comes right after I sold two bikes, trying to sell a third, and two more just happen to appear in the garage in their place.

Just one, can't do that. Haven't had less than 3 bikes in over 20 years.

I pick two additional bikes to add to the VFR 12.

1. A Ducati 1199 Panigle R

2. A MV Agusta F4R

Doesn't matter that I can't ride either one farther than a couple of miles without visiting my chirapractor. I would set both up on stands in my family room just to look at.

• Member Contributer

Thats easy cause I already own it, my around town bike a PCX150

Do you like your PCX? My current winter runner and town bike is a Yamaha C3 but I'd love to get something highway capable. The PCX looks like the perfect replacement

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply!

What's the real world highway cruising speed? I am fine with 60-65 mph because I would really only use it for short highway jaunts into the city.

Are you getting the claimed 90-100 mpg?

Archived