If You Love Your Vfr1200 And Are Allowed A Second Bike, What Is It?

LoopRider

Bit of a fun question this for me, as I have decided I am going to buy another bike to compliment my VFR1200. I am going to trade the small 250 I have as my wife wants a different bike when she rides with me ... But it is mainly for me, to be different to the VFR which I just could not bear to part with.

There are some constraints. Seat height can't be higher than about 800 mm and weight must be less than 200 kgs fuelled. Cost wise I want to stay around NZ$15k ish plus it must have ABS. Cannot be a racer crouch either, she loved the look of the Daytona but said too prone ... Standard VFR and anything more upright than that is fine.

Other than that, no constraints. Chain, belt, shaft, brand, luggage, fairings etc

Tell me what you would do ...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Speed Triple R.

Pretty sure the Speed Triple seat height is quite a bit more than 31.5" and very top heavy feeling, not to mention a beast. Street Triple would be a better choice unless your wife is uber strong. I hate the look of the FZ-09, but you can't beat the package for the low price. A used Euro spec CB1000R with ABS would be cool, but it's quite a bit of power. There are a bunch of naked bikes available in Europe that may fill the bill. New CB500F may be too uninspiring for you, but comfy for your wife...

• Member Contributer

There are some constraints. Seat height can't be higher than about 800 mm and weight must be less than 200 kgs fuelled. Cost wise I want to stay around NZ$15k ish plus it must have ABS. Cannot be a racer crouch either, she loved the look of the Daytona but said too prone ... Standard VFR and anything more upright than that is fine.

Other than that, no constraints. Chain, belt, shaft, brand, luggage, fairings etc...

These combined criteria rule out several options. Sounds like the base-model Triumph Street Triple meets your threshold (although the higher spec R model raises the seat height unacceptably). Also the honda cb500f and cbr500r. The Yamaha fz/mt-09 lacks abs currently. I may find some other options for you too...

Also, i think the bmw f800r & the g650gs and the ducati monster 659 all squeak in under your cutoffs. I think. And the f700r is close...

What a fun problem to have! Good luck,

Ron

• Member Contributer

I already have a second bike... :goofy: But my wife doesn't know it... Because she calls it hers :cool: I have to take it out at least once a month, to make sure it runs right... You know, make sure to run a tank of gas through it and keep the tires warm... Oh crap, hope she doesn't read this forum. :unsure:

2013-06-07163532_zps674dc2c2.jpg

Glad to see quite a few like minds here. :fing02:

My VFR1200's stablemate started out being SV1000S, but is now mainly the S3R. Great compliment to the VFR1200 and everything it does well.

K7D_2281m_zps3b7d5f85.jpg

Based on your requirement though, I would agree the Street Triple R would be a better bet. The Speedie's seat is wayyy up there. I've got a Triumph lower seat on it and I've lowered it about 1/2" or so, which is about the max without starting to mess with chassis geometry. It is still kind tall for my 30" inseam but the S3 being such a light bike, I'm very comfortable with it. I can handle either heavy weight or tall seat, but not both. The C14 was both, and I sold it for the VFR1200.

I can appreciate how you're trying to cover as much ground as you can with the second bike. Just bear in mind that the wider the application base, the less that compromise bike will likely excel in any one task. Being an VFR1200 owner though, you probably already know that. Good luck with the hunt. Have fun... this is the best part. :beer:

I go thru bikes like most people go thru socks....put a ton of miles on one, sell it, and move on. Since '68 I'm on number 63...

When I got the VFR I had an '80 R100RS, Husqvarna TE310 and had just sold a Stelvio NTX to a buddy....

Sold the R100RS and TE310 and picked up a TR650 and a mint (14k mile) 2004 R1150RT, and recently sold the TR650 and picked up a DRZ400 to do a few offroad trips I had on the books.

After Death Valley and Moab next Spring, it might get replaced with another KTM

NC700X. Low seat height, great MPG and inexpensive. And if someone give me crap about its scooter-esk design, I just say it's my wife's bike...

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I go thru bikes like most people go thru socks....put a ton of miles on one, sell it, and move on. Since '68 I'm on number 63...

When I got the VFR I had an '80 R100RS, Husqvarna TE310 and had just sold a Stelvio NTX to a buddy....

Sold the R100RS and TE310 and picked up a TR650 and a mint (14k mile) 2004 R1150RT, and recently sold the TR650 and picked up a DRZ400 to do a few offroad trips I had on the books.

I'm still scratching my head on how this information was to be used by the OP...?

I'm still scratching my head on how this information was to be used by the OP...?

keep scratching...

looks like everyone is just throwing out what their other bikes are... but gosh, thanks for noticing

there's lots of second bike options out there, the OP didnt' seem to be looking for suggestions

I already have a second bike... :goofy: But my wife doesn't know it... Because she calls it hers :cool: I have to take it out at least once a month, to make sure it runs right... You know, make sure to run a tank of gas through it and keep the tires warm... Oh crap, hope she doesn't read this forum. :unsure:

I had the exact same problem until I finally said enough is enough. Got tired of maintaining a bike for her to ride 200 miles a year. I hope the OP is sure his wife is gonna ride it some, otherwise all these restrictions are for naught.

keep scratching...

looks like everyone is just throwing out what their other bikes are... but gosh, thanks for noticing

there's lots of second bike options out there, the OP didnt' seem to be looking for suggestions

i'm not qualified to comment on bikes i've never ridden and the bikes i've owned are the bikes i've ridden, for the most part.....i test rode a 'busa this past summer in an around town, don't break the 40mph speed limit, dealer event, and i like the VFR12 better

Speed Triple R.

Pretty sure the Speed Triple seat height is quite a bit more than 31.5" and very top heavy feeling, not to mention a beast. Street Triple would be a better choice unless your wife is uber strong. I hate the look of the FZ-09, but you can't beat the package for the low price. A used Euro spec CB1000R with ABS would be cool, but it's quite a bit of power. There are a bunch of naked bikes available in Europe that may fill the bill. New CB500F may be too uninspiring for you, but comfy for your wife...

... basic Street Triple getting checked out ... Looking very good .... signed 'one of those funny married guys' ...

Archived