If You Love Your Vfr1200 And Are Allowed A Second Bike, What Is It?

LoopRider

• Member Contributer

FZ6 with Leo's to give it a little attitude. Similar situation with my daughter who is currently on a ZZR 250. Looking for something a little more while still being very manage & commute-able.

Of course other than 10kgs + 5mm ... a 5th ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i test rode a 'busa this past summer in an around town, don't break the 40mph speed limit, dealer event, and i like the VFR12 better

One has to try speeds higher than 120mph to see where the 'busa or the ZZR14 shine, while the VFR1200 shines between 40mph and 120mph. That's why I recently bought me a Yamaha Grizzly 700, to fill the gap at speeds below 40mph. (Mainly snow/ice, gravel/dirt/mud and shopping.)

Unfortunately maybe not what the thread opener is looking for.

Well, you got the 1200VFR, that takes care of the hooligan side of riding pretty well. I went with 1300 FJR for my second bike, also fun in the twisties, very reliable, good range for long distance riding. I'm very happy with 1200-VFR and the 1300-FJR.. :woohoo:

Well I would have to say the Ducati 1199 Panigale. I had a 2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory before this bike so any of you who have ridden a powerful v twin know what I'm saying. Imagine 50 more ponies with 50 less pounds then the Aprilia, OMG sign me up.

In NZ the Yamaha MT-09 is cheaper than the Street Triple but you can not get the ABS one here whereas Street Triple has ABS as an option. Wife needs ABS. Seat height right on standard street triple, 800 mm.

post-24365-0-48000400-1388081699.jpgPicked up a NT 700v in September with very low miles. Always wanted to try a NT , upright seating , very comfortable , good low-end , great weather protection. Did'nt ride the VFR again this year till I rode it to storage garage for the winter . Reminded me of how great this bike is . Brakes ! , effortless acceleration , very natural neutral handling for the weight of this bike , and the quality and tightness of controls.

Speed Triple R.

Pretty sure the Speed Triple seat height is quite a bit more than 31.5" and very top heavy feeling, not to mention a beast. Street Triple would be a better choice unless your wife is uber strong. I hate the look of the FZ-09, but you can't beat the package for the low price. A used Euro spec CB1000R with ABS would be cool, but it's quite a bit of power. There are a bunch of naked bikes available in Europe that may fill the bill. New CB500F may be too uninspiring for you, but comfy for your wife...

... basic Street Triple getting checked out ... Looking very good .... signed 'one of those funny married guys' ...

The order is in, just visited the dealer now and have ordered the basic Street Triple with ABS. The Yamaha MT-09 here does not have ABS even though it is is $2000 dollars cheaper and for us no ABS is a deal breaker. I also like the bigger tank on the Street Triple ... And yes irony I know coming form a VFR1200 owner! We are getting the white one with blue lettering, apparently this looks good with denim ...

Congrats on a fine choice. The Streetie is a hoot to ride. Light as a feather compared to the VFR1200, but can be kitted up as a pretty darn good sport tourer. Head on over to TriumphRAT, if you haven't already. Lots of good info.

• Member Contributer

According to your initial post, the Street Triple checks all the boxes...good bit of research. Did you ever consider the CB1000R? Just curious...

According to your initial post, the Street Triple checks all the boxes...good bit of research. Did you ever consider the CB1000R? Just curious...

Yes, some dealers had new for $nz16000 or close a while back. We liked the styling and Honda quality. Big pluses. Against it was weight for her, seat height too if I remember right but also we liked idea of getting something other than an in-line 4. Only because I have had a few in line 4s and never a triple or V2. ... Actually still not a V2, maybe I might, 'be allowed' a resto too .... Maybe a SP1, maybe ...

You owe it to yourself to sample a good V-twin at some point. Not all, but a lot of riders really take to it. I don't mean the lay-back traditional cruisers, of course. Not that there is anything wrong with cruisers, but folks tend to like them for a whole lot of other reasons.

• Member Contributer

Yes, some dealers had new for $nz16000 or close a while back. We liked the styling and Honda quality. Big pluses. Against it was weight for her, seat height too if I remember right but also we liked idea of getting something other than an in-line 4. Only because I have had a few in line 4s and never a triple or V2. ... Actually still not a V2, maybe I might, 'be allowed' a resto too .... Maybe a SP1, maybe ...

Well, I think you made an excellent choice. The street triple was on my short list, but I came across my current bike and couldn't pass it up. 2011 CB1000R, 1200 miles, Yosh r77d carbon fiber 3/4 system, LED tail and indicators, $7000 usd. I stole it.

What about a ducati monster 696 or 796?

These were top of the list and would be a great contrast to the VFR1200. Against was mainly price (ABS 796) in NZ at $20k and also reviews from magazines consistently rated Street Triple as better all round. But hardly anything in it really, they are nice looking bikes.

Well, I think you made an excellent choice. The street triple was on my short list, but I came across my current bike and couldn't pass it up. 2011 CB1000R, 1200 miles, Yosh r77d carbon fiber 3/4 system, LED tail and indicators, $7000 usd. I stole it.

Nice! A lot of bike for the money, US seems to have great bike prices, lucky you guys.

I think that's felony grand theft in some states. You done robbed the guy blind.

• 2 weeks later...

A Goldwing F6B; just enough luggage and windshield to make the very long trips comfortable, and just enough "sport" to make the twisties interesting.

Archived