Ride To Hell - Part Deux

• Member Contributer

zero.jpg

How to own a zero emission motorcycle....

or "what could possibly go wrong???"  

My 1st "Ride to Hell" post (to Passchendaele) has disappeared/lost here on VFRD for some reason.  :unsure:  :sad2:  :wacko:

EDIT:  restored it from a different site

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/67920-ride-to-hell/

So I thought lets have another ride to Hell, this time a hamlet called Hell.

Capture.JPG

Punched in the GPS coordinates because there is no address for Hell in my Garmin.

Managed to come within 200 meters...

13.jpg

(did you notice the house number.....?)

I did however find the "hell road"

hellerweg.jpg

Some strange thing happened.... all of a sudden the streetname sign had disapeared!!!

batoutofhell.jpg

So I got out like a bat out of hell....

Up ahead, I came to the classic blues junction, to "greater hell" or "dark alley"....   

groothel.jpg

:lobby: Do I go left??

weggroter.jpg

:lobby: Do I go right??

xroads.jpg

This place was full of bad juju so let's go home...

Now what is wrong with this picture???

elloello.jpg

You are not allowed to park there just for fun...

roadside.jpg

Yes redslut had a monkey on her shoulder......  :wacko:

she cut out at once, so I pulled over from the left lane and came to a silent stop.

No hesitation, just stop.  So I suspected something electrical. Lights etc still worked, checked the fuse box...   hhmmmm fuse "fuel pump 10A" was toast.

Put in a new 10A fuse... pooofff.  Put in a 20A.............  pooofff..

:owned:

Phoned the ANWB (roadside assistance) and 20 minutes later................

not1but2.jpg

So redslut got to ride bitch...

strap.jpg

Always knew she was a bit kinky, turns out she likes bondage...

gocruise.jpg

Next is to check the user manual on how to test the fuel pump. But I suspect that after 16 years/90K kms this is the first thing that went wrong with her.... 

Do I source a 2nd hand  :lobby: or buy a new OEM one....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for going to Hell and back for us, Dutchy! I always enjoy your photos.

Sorry to hear about the involuntary roadside stop. At least it looks like your roadside assistance people know how to handle bikes.

Here's wishing you speedy (and inexpensive) repairs--judging by the last photo you have the right attitude!

I'm sure the other 4th gen owners will be along shortly with diagnostic, repair and parts advice. Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Really like the looks of your tow truck - major improvement over what we have over here. Although in both Canada and the US the tow drivers let you ride in the cab with them - they don't force you to sit on your bike. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If there's one rider that doesn't deserve to be stranded, that's you Dutchy, but if here is one rider who can take it in stride, that's you Dutchy! Who else smiles while sitting on their bike while it's on the tow truck? Sorry you had to have her towed, but if you were planning on going to Hell, this is a much better outcome if you ask me.

• Member Contributer

Don't know if this would cause the fuse to blow, but check and see if the fuel pump points are fused together. They need to be cleaned up every so often, an emory board woks great. Good luck finding the cause.

What did the sheep do wrong to end up in hell?

And why do you suspect the fuel pump? I think it is not very likely the fuel pump is causing the short.

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/forum/honda-hawk-gt-bros-discussions/mechanical-and-technical/how-to-s/13701-stock-fuel-pump-upgrade-mods-repairs?t=19132

When the contact points are worn, the electromagnet in the pump works permanently, using a lot of electricity, causing the fuse to overheat.

• Member Contributer

One more thing:

With fuse for the fuel pump blown, will that also stop the starter from working?

whilst the battery was still ok/all lights working, pushing the starter button gave no reaction.

• Member Contributer

What did the sheep do wrong to end up in hell?

And why do you suspect the fuel pump? I think it is not very likely the fuel pump is causing the short.

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/forum/honda-hawk-gt-bros-discussions/mechanical-and-technical/how-to-s/13701-stock-fuel-pump-upgrade-mods-repairs?t=19132

When the contact points are worn, the electromagnet in the pump works permanently, using a lot of electricity, causing the fuse to overheat.

+1 that is what I would suspect ..

Sorry Dutchy looks like you having a great ride. Of course I would have thought stator .....

One more thing:

With fuse for the fuel pump blown, will that also stop the starter from working?

whilst the battery was still ok/all lights working, pushing the starter button gave no reaction.

Yes, that fuse is from ignition, starter and fuelpump according to the wiring diagram.

• Member Contributer

Right!

With hindsight.....

disconnect the fuel pump from the wiring, put in a new fuse and she fired right up. so I *could* have gotten myself home by bypassing the pump and let gravity do the work...

But being a member of the ANWB got me help/home 30 minutes later than planned..

(and I didnot take the tool pouch with me :wacko: I only had a screwdriver in my tank bag so I could get to the fuses.. :blush: )

So this is how she looks....

post-8974-0-65875900-1385991264.jpg

post-8974-0-30024300-1385991308.jpg

post-8974-0-37189500-1385991546.jpg

Does this look "farked" to the expert eye(s)??? :unsure:

Spend Euro 22 on a new points assembly?

And she drank a lot of single barrel malt scotch..

PS looks like poor maintenance to me !!!

In these modern times i fear the single malt has changed into a poor quality blended :sad:

There is nothing to maintain, pump is working or not. Some go after a few years, some work for more than 30 years. And the pump is not mentioned in any maintenance schedule. Maybe a good idea to have a set of spare points for long holiday trips, next to the spare rr.

• Member Contributer

Life is too short to drink cheap blends..... so the one bottle of blended whisky i own is Chivas 18yr.

the rest single malts.........

TOP TIP

stay clear of FABER, single malt from Germany........ as GRADUS can attest (I had him blind test 6 malts) :cool:

I imagine it to be the dram of choice in Hell...

• Member Contributer

If really intent on getting to Hell, an alternate could be to take Finnair's flight 666 to Helsinki (HEL) on Friday the 13th. The most popular seats . . . in what else - row 13. Hopefully the pilots aren't enjoying the Scotch though . . . :wacko:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/13/is-this-the-unluckiest-flight-ever-route-666-to-hel-on-friday-the-13th-3982930/

Archived