Surprise At The Gas Station 100Miles From Home

Rear tire was getting a bit worn, but these bt-021s just have no tread marks down the middle. Anyhow, surprise! I've got cords showing. Sunday night with work in the AM. Think I should call it an night or can I limp home? Red Green Show time? Think a bit of duct tape over the spot would keep it a bit safer? Obviously I'll lose some traction but I'll be giving myself extra space/time to slow down.

• Member Contributer

I found my self with 4" of cord showing on back tire 100 miles from civilization in the Nevada desert. Rode 50 mph keeping an eye out for a soft landing among the road side rocks. Made it no sweat.

I had a rear tire go flat on the freeway so. of St. Louis. I felt the rear start to wobble side to side; took about three seconds to get to the shoulder. Tire was flat when I got there.

I've seen guys do burn-outs in the parking lot of the tire store with a cord-showing rear tire. It takes a while to blow it (and can damage a wheel if it blows big)

Always do the "penny" tire test before a ride.

Tire survived the trip home. I do need to work on my internet sarcasm though, but here's a similar clip to the one I was thinking of from Red Green show. Pretty sure there was one where they did a "re-tread" using duct tape, but I can't find that one. Skip to 5m46s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU589SHzzuU&feature=youtu.be&t=5m46s

I've never seen a tire go bare so quickly. Looked fine when I left and, wow, sure doesn't now. Anyhow, otherwise I had a great weekend at Mid Ohio, saw a couple other VFRs there and saw one of our own riding East on I80 making his way home to Boston after making it all the way to Cali.

• Member Contributer

There is rubber under the cords...but it feels kinda like an inner tube when you get to that point

That last bit of rubber goes fast.

I thought they seemed more like a drum when worn so far down.

Tapping on it I could tell it was very thin. :mellow:

Glad you made it home OK.

I can usually tell when I'm about to hit cords, and I generally wait 'til I see them to replace the rear tire - unless I'm about to do some sportriding or start a tour. (Fronts always replaced earlier.) Never had a problem, but wary about being more than 20 miles from home once I see cords.

I have a friend who did a weekend tour in VA a couple years ago, and who rode the 400 miles home on rear tire cords on a Sunday. It was necessary to get home but crazy nonetheless.

The speed tires seem to go at the end is one reason why I now keep a new tire ready to go as soon as I mount one up. That way all I have to do is walk into my second bedroom (the parts storeroom) and carry it down to mount it in a few minutes.

I do something similar with consumable parts from brake pads to chains and sprockets.

• Member Contributer

There is rubber under the cords...but it feels kinda like an inner tube when you get to that point

I've only ever found that there's AIR underneath the cords. Especially with Michelins. Vertical cords are OK but when you see horizontal cords....well, uhh... you're screwed.

Ah yeah...200 miles from home.

100_1908aa.jpg

111107023.jpg

The speed tires seem to go at the end is one reason why I now keep a new tire ready to go as soon as I mount one up. That way all I have to do is walk into my second bedroom (the parts storeroom) and carry it down to mount it in a few minutes.

I do something similar with consumable parts from brake pads to chains and sprockets.

Great strategy. :fing02: It also saves the hassle of trying to find something locally in a hurry, and gives you time to comparison shop or buy at a discount when possible.

Personally, I try to buy tires when they're on sale and have a set ready at home at all times. I've had as many as 2 or 3 sets stored in the garage at one time. At the moment, however, I'm done to one new front sitting, and that's going on soon. Need to restock, but I'm short on funds these days. :sad:

Archived