Lots Of Weight Added To My Rear

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Not my a$$, but my rear wheel! Had a new PR2 mounted up on my 5 spoke rear wheel at Cycle Gear yesterday and they used almost an entire strip of the stickon weights! I have never had more than 3-5 of the 1/4 oz weights added to this wheel. Does this seem unusual?

• Member Contributer

It does seem unusual. Got any pictures?

• Member Contributer

It does seem unusual. Got any pictures?

Not until I get home tonight...

• Member Contributer

Mounted a set of PP3's last nite and the rear tire started out that bad so I deflated it twice and kept moving the heavy spot until I found the light spot of the rim(I had aleady mark the light spot of wheel) it took 3/4 of ounce to balance.

P.S. yeah thats alot of weight.

• Member Contributer

Possibly a bad wheel. Excessive overlap in the radial belt ? Investigate this before trusting it !

• Member Contributer

Yes, it does seem unusual. They should have tried moving the tire around the rim. I would estimate that the tire is off balance and the wheel is off balance. It sounds like tire and wheel both wound up at their heaviest spot.

• Member Contributer

You know Cycle Gear started out with awesone custmer service and even better prices on parts and services but now they have turned into crap. Not long ago it was $10 a wheel for mounting and balancing( didn't pay to mount your on) but now its like $30 a wheel and the do a $hitty job.

Guest Recalcitrance

You know Cycle Gear started out with awesone custmer service and even better prices on parts and services but now they have turned into crap. Not long ago it was $10 a wheel for mounting and balancing( didn't pay to mount you on) but now its like $30 a wheel and the do a $hitty job.

+1 Used to love Cycle Gear about 3 or 4 years ago. Now they carry nothing good and do nothing good. I buy basic maintenance parts there (lube, oil, filters, etc.) and nothing else. Sad to see them tank so far so quickly.

And yes, that's a lot of weight. Get it done again somewhere else.

• Member Contributer

A lot os shops do not have the right tools to mount a SSSA wheel on their balancer. Was this the first time you had them mount a new tire?

Nope, they have done a few for me. I think they just lined up the heavy side of the tire with the heavy side of the wheel and were lazy. They should have broken the bead and rotated the tire and remounted it...

• Member Contributer

I probably just need to walk away from the bike for the next few days...everytime I do something, I cause a problem! LOL. Now I wasn't going to tell you about how my voltmeter registers 13.8V steady when it's running becase BLS said that was on the low side of being OK.

But hey, I bleed the clutch fluid and everything turned out OK!!!

• Member Contributer

I mount my own, I always try to find the heavy spot of the rim (no tire) and then match it up to the mark on the tire, very rarely is it the valve steam that is the heaviest part of the rim, but that is the assumption some shops use. Others just mount them up and stick on the weights. Most large shops are a crap shot, might have one good tire guy and several bad tire guys. Smaller shops tend to have just one tire guy.

A lot os shops do not have the right tools to mount a SSSA wheel on their balancer. Was this the first time you had them mount a new tire?

Nope, they have done a few for me. I think they just lined up the heavy side of the tire with the heavy side of the wheel and were lazy. They should have broken the bead and rotated the tire and remounted it...

You know Michelins don't really have a "light spot mark" like most other brands. The only thing I see is the Ber Code label on the bead area and use that, not sure if it's the light, heavy or anything at all.

Never needed that much weight on a Mich.

BR

• Member Contributer

You know Michelins don't really have a "light spot mark" like most other brands. The only thing I see is the Ber Code label on the bead area and use that, not sure if it's the light, heavy or anything at all.

Never needed that much weight on a Mich.

BR

I do the same. Would be great to know if it's significant of anything. Seems to take a bunch of weight to balance my PR tires, bunch = 1.25oz or so.

• Member Contributer

I have had to take a tire/wheel back to my local Honda shop for a rebalance. It was fine until I hit about 80 and got the shakes. They tried to tell me it was my steering head bearings. I had to tell them that it wasn't that way earlier and just about wound up in a wrestling match with the GM over this. They SENT IT TO ANOTHER COMPETITOR'S DEALERSHIP for another shot at it. It came back perfect. Needless to say, Britt Honda of Littleton, Colorado is now a Doggie Daycare facility.

• Member Contributer

The PR2 on my 5 spoke has 1 1/2 oz's on it and the other with the PR3 has 1 3/4 oz's.

• Member Contributer

The PR2 on my 5 spoke has 1 1/2 oz's on it and the other with the PR3 has 1 3/4 oz's.

Did you mount and balance it yourself?

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just got new tires front and back PP and PR2. I had them mounted and balanced at the local bmw dealer and when I went to pick them up at the arranged time, the guy I usually deal with said it was going to be a few minutes as the tech was demounting the tire to spin it on the rim as it was taking 4 ounces (2 per side) to balance. I waited till they were done and he brought it out with 3 ounces(1.5 per side). I tried it on the highway tonight and was not happy with the way it felt so I came home and spun it up on the center stand, first at low speed and couldn't see any runout in either rim or tire. I then spun it up to speed and sure enough, it was shaking like the proverbial dog licking sh## off a thistle. I peeled 3 of the 1/4 oz weights off each side and tried it again at speed, taking it up to 160kph. Much better but still not perfect so I took all of the weights off and tried again. This time it was almost perfect and I think I'd be satisfied as it sits. I guess this is a cautionary tale about trusting your balance agent.

Those that rode with me on the Victoria to Bonneville salt flats run will recall that I was complaining about a shuddering at speed. Half way through the trip, I got a nail and had a proper patch and balance job which seemed to make the shuddering issue better but not fixed. Recently, before the tires were replaced, I had an opportunity to test at a significant speed and it was almost scary the amount of shuddering from the back end/seat at 80-90mph.

Now, finding this issue with a new tire and new mount/balance, I'm wondering if there is some irregularity with my wheel that makes it hard to balance? I'll pull the rear off tomorrow evening but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions as to the possible issue resulting in three bad balance jobs?

• Member Contributer

I would not think that it would be the wheel unless it has done it all the time. I have used dynabeads or the cheap knock offs and I have never had any tire balance issues....Even at significant speeds :wink: that might be worth a try I hope you get it figured out!

• Member Contributer

I just got new tires front and back PP and PR2. I had them mounted and balanced at the local bmw dealer and when I went to pick them up at the arranged time, the guy I usually deal with said it was going to be a few minutes as the tech was demounting the tire to spin it on the rim as it was taking 4 ounces (2 per side) to balance. I waited till they were done and he brought it out with 3 ounces(1.5 per side). I tried it on the highway tonight and was not happy with the way it felt so I came home and spun it up on the center stand, first at low speed and couldn't see any runout in either rim or tire. I then spun it up to speed and sure enough, it was shaking like the proverbial dog licking sh## off a thistle. I peeled 3 of the 1/4 oz weights off each side and tried it again at speed, taking it up to 160kph. Much better but still not perfect so I took all of the weights off and tried again. This time it was almost perfect and I think I'd be satisfied as it sits. I guess this is a cautionary tale about trusting your balance agent.

Those that rode with me on the Victoria to Bonneville salt flats run will recall that I was complaining about a shuddering at speed. Half way through the trip, I got a nail and had a proper patch and balance job which seemed to make the shuddering issue better but not fixed. Recently, before the tires were replaced, I had an opportunity to test at a significant speed and it was almost scary the amount of shuddering from the back end/seat at 80-90mph.

Now, finding this issue with a new tire and new mount/balance, I'm wondering if there is some irregularity with my wheel that makes it hard to balance? I'll pull the rear off tomorrow evening but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions as to the possible issue resulting in three bad balance jobs?

Sounds like your wheel to me. I'd pull it and take it to a straightening outfit and have them check it.

• Member Contributer

Well, the ride to work this am, I was able to test at about 120 k and it was smooth smooth so I think the balancing shop just screwed up. As to why the seemingly recurrent problem, I'm now thinking that the nail in the tire was causing the first issue on the Bonnevlile run, followed by imperfect balancing when I had the tire patched. On the recent run, I now realize that I found another nail in the tire afterward so that's probably the answer. Like I said, I didn't see any runout in the rim or tire. Just got to figure out where all the damn nails are coming from because this makes three in the last two years as the tire that just got replaced was itself installed due to an unrepairable nail in the previous tire.

• Member Contributer

So you were able to do a little testing :unsure: the unbalance would be a good thing....if you had the beads in you wouldn't know you had a nail :cool:

Archived