Lots Of Weight Added To My Rear

2thdr

• Member Contributer

So you were able to do a little testing :unsure: the unbalance would be a good thing....if you had the beads in you wouldn't know you had a nail :cool:

Well then maybe we would have stayed on schedule last year, at least till the nail came shooting out like a bullet on some of our spirited adventures. :cool:

I've been doing a little reading and it seems folks are having good success with airsoft pellets. One guy even said he put golf balls in his 4x4 tires with good results.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Had my rear wheel balanced on Saturday. When the PP was fitted the balancer machine was not yet in (new shop starting out). I did notice some imbalance it at certain speeds so now the machine was in, it got done

It needed 35gramms on one side and 15 on the other.

Got the rattle can out to hide the weights somewhat.

post-8974-0-28329300-1384174630.jpg

post-8974-0-72433600-1384174641.jpg

So if deflating the tire and rotating a bit will eliminate -some- of the imbalance, I will ask him to try this next time/tire... :cool:

• Member Contributer

Next time before he inflates the tire put it on the balancer and see how far out it is . I like to put it on the static balancer and see how hard it swing's down to the heavy spot and it does rotate down fast then I put back on the tire mounting machine and rotated 90 degree and check it again ..

• Member Contributer

Some OEM wheels are way out of balance. Pirelli on a Dymag showed less than 1/8 oz, which is close enough for me. Pirelli on Suzuki wheel took 4oz's, removed the tire and there was no difference. The wheel was out 4oz's (8 weights). Now I balance wheels first to find the heavy and light spots.

I recall a few years back sending my 250 in for new tyres, when I went to pick it up the mechanic greeted me with a concerned look on his face and an "I tried to balance your front wheel, but there are 3 major buckles here, here and here.. you should look into finding a new one ASAP"

So that was.. encouraging :P ended up blowing the engine before I found a new wheel anyway

Back to wheel weights though, every time I've balanced one myself I always aim to get within 5 grams.. the OCD occasionally kicks in until the machine reads '000'.. but even with wheels that are significantly out with zero weights on I've rarely noticed the difference.

Old bike / new bike / old car the imbalance wasn't noticeable at any speeds. Brand new car that can cruise highways with negative decibels inside started to hum a little as if the road surface was a bit rough, but didn't vibrate at all.

Either way I wouldn't worry about having a few extra weights on the rim, as long it drives nicely.

• Member Contributer

Had my rear wheel balanced on Saturday. When the PP was fitted the balancer machine was not yet in (new shop starting out). I did notice some imbalance it at certain speeds so now the machine was in, it got done

attachicon.gifIMAG2386.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG2387.jpg

So if deflating the tire and rotating a bit will eliminate -some- of the imbalance, I will ask him to try this next time/tire... :cool:

Spray paint on your newly powdercoated wheel???

• Member Contributer

I taped off the rim and any stray paint removed with some terpentine! I like a clean rim! :goofy:

:cool:

There is actually black colored weights awable, so no spay can would be needed. I had the guy that painted my wheels HRC gold paint a few weight straps same color to get a nice look as i change tires.....HRC gold weights not awable in shops....

• Member Contributer

And this is why I use Dynabeads. I just drop 3 ounces into each tire and I'm done. Smooth as silk!

FYI I have tire pressure sensors in my wheels, hence the need for 3 ounces.

• Member Contributer

And this is why I use Dynabeads. I just drop 3 ounces into each tire and I'm done. Smooth as silk!

FYI I have tire pressure sensors in my wheels, hence the need for 3 ounces.

Time to trade back to VFR ?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Fact 1... Tires are elastic bodies and cannot be produced absolutely

round without imbalance. Therefore balance is paramount after fitting

a new tire...

Fact 2... Dynamic balancing is the preferred method because the wheel

is rotating and measures the deviation of masses with respect to

center...

Conventional wisdom states that you align the dot (lightest spot of the

tire) with the valve stem (heaviest spot of the rim)... true but

deceptive... your wheel's heaviest spot may be independently of the

valve stem which can be learned if you first balance the bare wheel...

Now what??? well I marked the heaviest spot of the wheel with the

letter "R" so I may align the tire's lightest point indicated by the

Red Dot...

Why all the fuss??? by aligning the heaviest spot of the wheel with

the lightest spot of the tire you add the least amount of lead weight

to achieve harmony balance... weight is the enemy especially on a

spinning wheel... it negatively effects acceleration... suspension and

braking... to what degree is mainly tied to the level of your

sensitivity... if you don't care then you don't care... it doesn't

mean it doesn't effect your machine...

But what if my tire has no "dots"??? Some tire manufactures skip the

expensive step of adding the "dots"... but that doesn't mean your tire

was produced absolutely round... quite the contrary... you still have

to balance because a Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can hop at

certain speeds and greatly accelerate tread wear...

How much weight is too much??? if you employ more than 3.5 ounces of

lead weight which is 14 1/4oz stick on lead weights to the tire it can

be judged defective in manufacturing and you may request a refund or

replacement... contact the seller and state your gripe...

Ive seen no evidence the barcode is of use on Mich's, with my own installations. out of dosens of powers and road 2's the weight seems to be fairly similar and in the same place, as a general rule. If I wasn't so lazy Id balance the rim itself, it would be a lot simpler afterwards, little to no weight. All tires ive ever mounted all seem to need weight in the same general area.

I haven't used cycle gear for mounting for many years, they used to be about $30 if not bought from them and about 20 dollars if bought from them, but that was many years ago, I think nowadays they are $30 for even there tires, or higher if not.

The problem with their mounting, Is employee turn over rate and inexperience, the last time I used them they tore the bead on my tire. But whether cycle gear or the dealer, they all are pretty bad with balancing IMO. they normally get the weight in the right place but its not right.

Archived