Cleaning Techniques?

Guest MightyHare

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can also get Kerosene at some gas stations....at least around me you can. It is normally in a pump by itself over in the corner and labelled K-1 Kerosene or something like that.

I don't think Ive ever seen a gas station around here that has that. not even the old ones that are still in buisness. I think I'll pay a little more attention at the places I fill up at to see what they got.

Do a Google search - Where to buy kerosene in Omaha, NE. It comes up with a list:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Kerosene/S-NE/T-Omaha/

Disclaimer - May want to call first though. I actually only see 1 place that lists it specifically.

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Omaha-NE/Pitstop-Convenience-Store-L0133583550.htm?SRC=portals&C=Kerosene&lbp=1&STYPE=S&TR=77&bidType=FLCLIK&PGID=yp607.8082.1365162774465.1452011047331&dls=true&bpp=1

• Member Contributer

If you can't find kerosene, diesel is a cousin, and JP5, JP8 or Jet A used in turbine engines are very close cousins to kero and for cleaning purposes will do the same. When I want to clean some heavy grease, I tap off a pint or so from my diesel pickup's fuel system drain. Occasionally I'll get a gallon or so in a can like I do gas for my mower. Any airport that services or fuels helicopters or turbine aircraft should be able to sell you a bit of JP or Jet A as well if dispensed to an approved container.

You can also use Tiki torch fuel and it kills mosquitos.

Its just kerosene but it is easier to find for some people in some areas.

Whelp, I gave it a go today. Pulled the chain and sprockets and began cleaning 26,000 miles worth of caked on chain lube.

tumblr_mkt9mlmOL91s3k0p4o1_500.jpg

The picture really doesn't do it justice; this stuff had apparently been there long enough to petrify. First I tried straight kerosene and a stiff bristled brush, no luck. Then I tried the gunk and kerosene mixture, no luck. Thought I'd let that sit awhile, came back an hour later, no luck. Frustrated, I broke out the carb cleaner and WHAMMY, the stuff turned to sludge. I got most of it cleaned up but ran out of daylight.

I was stoked to find out that Cycle Gear has a chain tool-kit for $29.99. Only catch is you have to make another purchase; I bought a sticker and walked out the door for $32.00. I used it to press the old chain apart without grinding the rivets down first and it handled it like a champ.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Accessories/Tools/Multi-Tools/brand/STOCKTON%20TOOL%20COMPANY/Chain-Breaker-and-Rivet-Tool-Kit/p/36518_00000

Despite a sticker on the packaging that said "New Easier to Follow Instructions Included," there were no instructions. It is, however, a fairly simple tool to operate if you have any inkling of mechanical ability.

• Member Contributer

Good on you Hare.

I would not use that stockton tool/cycle gear chain tool again to press out the link without grinding the pin first, those small pins in the tool are notoriously weak and will break frequently even on the first couple of push outs.

• Member Contributer

Its just kerosene but it is easier to find for some people in some areas.

Kerosene is available here in CA at Home Depot and Lowes, can't imagine it wouldn't be available in all 50 and Canada. I've used it, WD-40 and Simple Green to clean up. Some old wives tell a tale about Simple Green eating aluminum but I rinse as soon as I'm done and haven't had a problem.

I had read that they are prone to breaking, but impatience got the best of me. It really seemed like it'd be hard to bend the pin with the guide snugged up against the chain. IDK? Dodged the bullet I suppose.

The bike is still pretty dirty but obviously much better than it was; at least I can park it without being embarrassed now. The weather was too nice today to be scrubbing a swingarm so I put it all together and hit the road. I'm very impressed with the el-cheapo chain tool; my first chain swap was a success. thumbsup.gif

tumblr_mkuweikAvh1s3k0p4o1_500.jpg

Stopped by the river to check my chain and couldn't resist snapping a picture. I love this machine.

tumblr_mkuwgoXlSz1s3k0p4o1_500.jpg

Yup. I was scrubbing with the kerosene/gunk duo to no avail but carb cleaner literally blew the gunk away, albeit the thick stuff took some persuading.

Yup. I was scrubbing with the kerosene/gunk duo to no avail but carb cleaner literally blew the gunk away, albeit the thick stuff took some persuading.

Scrubbing? man that sounds like alot of work, are you running chain wax or something

Many years ago, not on the vfr, but another bike, I was having trouble finding a good street lube, cause I was having front sprocket wear issues, ninga stars by 10 or 15,000 miles. Dry lubes, teflon lubes, chain wax, 90 weight just not cutting it, either didnt hold up or attracted to much dirt or hard to get off Non lubed parts of the bike. I thought it was hopeless.

Then by chance , I was at a cycle gear, and this guy said he heard good things about the Motorex strong street green can(not available in california). I decided to try it and Holy moly, outstanding film strength, cleans easily with wd, and quelched my sprocket wear rates to nada. Never bothered with anything else since. Im still on the original rear vfr sprocket over 100,000 miles, but I did replace the front back around 53,000 miles, and it still had another 10,000 miles on it easily. Im convinced after trying everything known to man, there's no better longevity lube and ease of use on the market for the street, than Motorex strong street.

• Member Contributer

Kerosene starts to smell bad in a couple of months so I still use good
old gasoline on my customers bikes because its works the best and its
always handy... I scrub the pores with a fine copper brush found at
any Gun cleaning supplier and look it would take you only 9 days of
sanding and polishing to remove all the rough casting marks and bring
out the luster of the aluminum...

gallery_3131_51_24023.jpg
gallery_3131_51_87607.jpg

Scrubbing? man that sounds like alot of work, are you running chain wax or something

Im convinced after trying everything known to man, there's no better longevity lube and ease of use on the market for the street, than Motorex strong street.

That's the wax that came on the chain; I'm gonna have to give Motorex a shot. It's gotta be good if Cali banned it.

Kerosene starts to smell bad in a couple of months so I still use good

old gasoline on my customers bikes because its works the best and its

always handy... I scrub the pores with a fine copper brush found at

any Gun cleaning supplier and look it would take you only 9 days of

sanding and polishing to remove all the rough casting marks and bring

out the luster of the aluminum...

Now that is plain insanity. I don't think my elbow would ever forgive me.

Its a very heavy synthetic lithium film base, but breaks down easily with wd40, quelchs metal to metal contact Big time. If you need to save money on sprocket purchases, it works well for that purpose.

• Member Contributer

For general cleaning of my 5th gens I use Heavy Duty Degreaser from Sam's Club, sprayed on, then scrubed with a toothbrush. Rinse and repeat until clean. For bodywork, Honda Cleaner and Polish.

• Member Contributer

That's the wax that came on the chain; I'm gonna have to give Motorex a shot. It's gotta be good if Cali banned it.

You might want to try a different product, I'm pretty sure the Motorex is available here in Calif.

You might want to try a different product, I'm pretty sure the Motorex is available here in Calif.

Motorex is available in California, just not the type I speak of , its illegal in California

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/988/30403/ITEM/Motorex-Chain-Lube-622-Strong-Street.aspx

on the can it says illegal for sale in california

would anyone recomend taking a pressure washer to the bike without the farings on?

When I got my bike little over a year ago it looked clean on the outside but this early spring i removed all the fairings to find that it has not seen day light for quite some time, and the previous owner lived on a dirt road so its quite nasty.

I was concerned about all the eltrical components of the bike.

I like to use WD-40 and choke cleaner for getting oil and grease off the bike.

• Member Contributer

not a bad idea depending on which spray nozzle you have, do not ever get near the chain with it though, also might consider a self serve car wash and keep that nozzle away from the chain as well.

you will be going through your electrical connections after and spraying with WD, right?

would anyone recomend taking a pressure washer to the bike without the farings on?

When I got my bike little over a year ago it looked clean on the outside but this early spring i removed all the fairings to find that it has not seen day light for quite some time, and the previous owner lived on a dirt road so its quite nasty.

I was concerned about all the eltrical components of the bike.

I like to use WD-40 and choke cleaner for getting oil and grease off the bike.

I do it all the time. I take the fairings off and pressure wash probably once a year. When I am replacing a chain, I take off the covers and blast all that funk out.

Use common sense. Dont spray water into componets.

I also keep my bearings well greased and electrical connectors protected.

A lot of times if the bike is very dirty I soak the dirty areas with honda polish or wd. I then pressure wash it off and use simple green to clean further. My ride has 70k miles and it is not a problem, just be smart about it. Dont wash it and let it sit either. I also detail and ride immediatly. I had my swingarm apart recently and no sign of water anywhere.

Archived