Cleaning Techniques?

Guest MightyHare

:blush: lol missed that post. thanks for the requote!

not a bad idea depending on which spray nozzle you have, do not ever get near the chain with it though, also might consider a self serve car wash and keep that nozzle away from the chain as well.

you will be going through your electrical connections after and spraying with WD, right?

WD and dialectric grease...

why keep the nozzle from the chain? as long as i grease it good afterwards I should be good right?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Pro Honda Chain Cleaner all over on my bike. It absolutely melts anything related to grease, oil, and tar that it comes across with very little elbow grease. I use it in conjunction with a plastic bristled brush on metal parts and on a rag for plastic parts. I've used it on my fairings for over a year now with no issues and will happily continue to do so. I turned my local Honda dealer on to it after finding it at another dealership. They have since then started carrying it and all their techs use it as well. I've not found a better cleaner for what it is needed for. Dirt and general filth are washed off with regular car soap and water.

http://asp-us.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=1/50/175&startPage=223

Honda Part Number : 08732-CHC00

• Member Contributer

It can force water past the sealed O rings. Very bad for chains.

Negative... water can not pass an O ring held in tension between the plates on a chain... it works as effectively as the O ring on your Dip Stick...

Negative... water can not pass an O ring held in tension between the plates on a chain... it works as effectively as the O ring on your Dip Stick...

post-22566-0-60561300-1365772256.jpg

• Member Contributer

Now what is that name again of rings that go round your dipstick????? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Larry you may be right but just as I would not point a pressure washer or car wash wand at my dipstick I am not going to point one at the plates on my chain either.

You may be absolutely right but I am not the guy who will be confirming it anytime soon.

I may take a chain that was removed from an old 500 and lay it on the ground and hit it to see if any grease comes out but I probably wont unless I think of this thread the next time I have the pressure washer fired up or the next time i get bird poop on my truck or need to wash off the soilent green pollen that is covering the southeast right now.

• 2 years later...

4000 psi and a narrow stream...... I bet it could easily.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

4000 psi and a narrow stream...... I bet it could easily.

Pressure washing came up in a discussion and someone showed me this. #4

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-dos-and-donts-of-washing-a-motorcycle-part-one-97915.html

The problems is always the one link thats has just enough clearance to let water in and then the whole chain is bad .

Maxima chain cleaner works very well, spray it on and hose it off with water, no need to pressure wash just rinse the gunk away. Makes my bikes look better than new.

I have used Simple Green and a old paint brush and a gentle rinse with the hose for years without any harm. Years ago I took my 83 to the DIY car wash, until I tried to get the rear axle out, which was caked with detergent!

Guys, I was lucky enough to learn some tips and the basics of paint cleaning / drying technique, polishing and protecting from one of the best in the country.

One amazing product that is always in my arsenal, is Optimum No Rinse. To me, there's no product better to clean surface issues of the clear coat (dirt / road dust) than ONR. No hose needed and and also be used as a quick detailer after rides. Google it, and watch some of the videos. It's a great product. Don't forget to do a paint correction every once in a while too. It's a night and day difference.

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

No worries. I had that part resprayed. Now I use WD40 on the rims.

What was the paint code number you used ?

Paint code for the VFR800F wheels and other details is: YR-325M Pyrite Brown Metallic.

Got it from Customer Relations, Honda Motor Europe Ltd. Benelux Branch

• Member Contributer

No worries. I had that part resprayed. Now I use WD40 on the rims.

What was the paint code number you used ?

Paint code for the VFR800F wheels and other details is: YR-325M Pyrite Brown Metallic.

Got it from Customer Relations, Honda Motor Europe Ltd. Benelux Branch

Thanks !

Archived