Cleaning Techniques?

Guest MightyHare

Guest MightyHare

Hello All,

I recently purchased my second sixth-gen and this thing is a filthy mess, literally. It has definitely been neglected in the cleaning department; the previous owner was "a rider not a shiner." In other words, he was a tool and did not know the importance of proper maintenance. The chain is caked with old grease and the areas surrounding it are as well. I've already ordered a new chain and sprockets but I'm curious to know how you guys clean the porous aluminum bits. I've cleaned up the swingarm but the grease remains in the pores. Naturally, oven cleaner comes to mind, but I don't want to use anything too harsh. So I pose you with the question, what do you guys use to clean up your bikes, especially the porous aluminum?

Hare

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hare, I've used a fine brass bristle brush, lots of warm water and some elbow grease to clean up marks on both my old 5th gen (frame) and 6th (top triple clamp). It would help to see how bad the spots are that you're trying to clean.

• Member Contributer

You can use Kerosene to clean all those bits. Stuff will dissolve away like butter with very little elbow grease. It won't hurt the plastic bits either. Sometimes there are finishes on those ,what appear to be plain, metal parts that brake cleaner can actually destroy.

• Member Contributer

WD40 works really well at removing oil, tar and grease. Another plus is you can spray it into some tight areas.

Good luck.

Mark

I second the kerosene option. I've used it and compared to WD-40 it is more effective for chain spooge. You can buy chain cleaner (Tirox) in spray can, which is essentially kerosene. Don't know where I would buy bulk kerosene around here.

I second the kerosene option. I've used it and compared to WD-40 it is more effective for chain spooge. You can buy chain cleaner (Tirox) in spray can, which is essentially kerosene. Don't know where I would buy bulk kerosene around here.

I've seen kerosene for sale at car parts stores (O'Reilly) and hardware stores. Usually stored near the paints.

WD40 or diesel fuel...diesel at most fuel centers. Either one works well...allowing a little soak time and generous elbow grease on old toothbrush. Follow up with clean rags to wipe off the oil film.

Kerosene and a nylon brush. Brass will totally F the O or X ring in your chain. Then spray it off with the hose and douse with wd40, ride around the block and hit it with chain wax. Let that set for 10 or so and wipe clean. My CBR chain was still good at 23k miles and that's with a few track days.

• Member Contributer

Spray with a hose, wipe with a towel.

I do this almost every year :ph34r:

Looks like kerosene is the way to go. That's what my old man uses in his parts cleaning bin; I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too harsh for the swingarm. I'm gonna put some in a spray bottle and give it a go. I'll post some before and after pictures when I get it all cleaned up. :happy:

You can also get Kerosene at some gas stations....at least around me you can. It is normally in a pump by itself over in the corner and labelled K-1 Kerosene or something like that.

You can also get Kerosene at some gas stations....at least around me you can. It is normally in a pump by itself over in the corner and labelled K-1 Kerosene or something like that.

I don't think Ive ever seen a gas station around here that has that. not even the old ones that are still in buisness. I think I'll pay a little more attention at the places I fill up at to see what they got.

• Member Contributer

Kerosene has been on my to buy list for a while. Big box hardware stores were supposed to have it by the gallon for the heaters they sell at $10 / gal if you can believe that. There is supposed to be a little hardware store nearby that sells it, but with my work hours and theirs it's been a no go. Still hoping to find some to clean chain and stuff with...

In addition to the kero, pick up some Gunk concentrate at the auto parts store. Mix it in the Kero according to the directions and it will basically act as a soap allowing you to wash away the crud with water.

• Member Contributer

^ This sounds like an interesting idea.

MightyHare, I love your avatar. (Rest in peace Chesty, where ever you are.)

In addition to the kero, pick up some Gunk concentrate at the auto parts store. Mix it in the Kero according to the directions and it will basically act as a soap allowing you to wash away the crud with water.

I'm intrigued. Kerosene with gunk as a catalyst sounds like it'll whammy some grime.

^ This sounds like an interesting idea.

MightyHare, I love your avatar. (Rest in peace Chesty, where ever you are.)

He is the epitome of manliness.

• Member Contributer

If you can't find kerosene, diesel is a cousin, and JP5, JP8 or Jet A used in turbine engines are very close cousins to kero and for cleaning purposes will do the same. When I want to clean some heavy grease, I tap off a pint or so from my diesel pickup's fuel system drain. Occasionally I'll get a gallon or so in a can like I do gas for my mower. Any airport that services or fuels helicopters or turbine aircraft should be able to sell you a bit of JP or Jet A as well if dispensed to an approved container.

• Member Contributer

A can of Goof-Off from any hardware store and an old tooth brush will have it off in no time. Then just wipe off the residue with an old wrag.

• Member Contributer

If you can't find kerosene, diesel is a cousin, and JP5, JP8 or Jet A used in turbine engines are very close cousins to kero and for cleaning purposes will do the same. When I want to clean some heavy grease, I tap off a pint or so from my diesel pickup's fuel system drain. Occasionally I'll get a gallon or so in a can like I do gas for my mower. Any airport that services or fuels helicopters or turbine aircraft should be able to sell you a bit of JP or Jet A as well if dispensed to an approved container.

You can also use Tiki torch fuel and it kills mosquitos.

Archived