2013 Tmac Ride Routes?

Are there some from last year that will be re-used?

All the routes I have are based at the old motel, anyone want to post garmin files for the new place? Or are they already posted somewhere?

• Member Contributer

I know I'll probably be doing my NC/SC backroads ride on Friday, since it'll be memorial day weekend and the police will be out in force on major roads. Might even take it all the way up to US226A, but we're talking about a long day. Other than that, I'm open to whatever.

Are there some from last year that will be re-used?

All the routes I have are based at the old motel, anyone want to post garmin files for the new place? Or are they already posted somewhere?

Seb, any base route will not change because we moved 2 miles down the road so any old route will work.

Haven't looked or asked for any newer ones yet though.

BR

I figured it was close, wasn't sure if there were any newer loops made up last year that were preferable.

The chinese restaurant might have moved though, Timmy. Right? :wink:

The Chooalu Skyway (close enough) has a section that is closed due to landslide or erosion.

I believe it's open with 1 way traffic control...

• Member Contributer

Cherohala?

Combine Cherokee and Nantahala.

Pretty sure they are still allowing one lane, however there has been a lot if rain since the original slide. That's what caused it in the first place. I haven't checked on updates since the weather (between cold and wet) hasn't allowed for me to get up there anyway.

• Member Contributer

The restaurant selection at this new place ROCKS. And they are all within stumbling distance.

Skip what they call a Ceasar Salad............

I bet you the chef is called Brutus....

b83a3776.jpg

I will look for the Garmin routes I made and post them up

• Member Contributer

I know I'll probably be doing my NC/SC backroads ride on Friday, since it'll be memorial day weekend and the police will be out in force on major roads. Might even take it all the way up to US226A, but we're talking about a long day. Other than that, I'm open to whatever.

Save yourself the trip to 226A. It was covered in tar snakes last Fall. Better off with NC80, work your way across the back of Lake James and use NC181 back to the Parkway.

• Member Contributer

:laugh: Dutchy thinks someone with the title of "Chef" would work at that chain and actually know what a real Ceasar Salad looks like...and Brutus is the bouncer not the cook.

Anybody who has seen the pics of what Dutchy eats would know better than to follow him to food. Pretty sure he has an iron stomach.

• Member Contributer

Save yourself the trip to 226A. It was covered in tar snakes last Fall. Better off with NC80, work your way across the back of Lake James and use NC181 back to the Parkway.

Thanks, I'll do that instead. Man, that sucks about 226A! That was one of my favorite roads, but 80 is fun as well. I doubt I'll be spending any time on the parkway as it'll be a parking lot for Memorial Day weekend.

• Member Contributer

I didn't think about the Memorial Day weekend traffic when deciding about this trip. Are we just in for a weekend of congested traffic?

• Member Contributer

No, there are good routes to be had, just have to think about them a bit more carefully. There will be places like the BRP that won't be worth trying to go on, as well as I'm sure that Blood Mtn will be patrolled. There are so many backroads in this area, that you can ride all day and rarely hit anything resembling a Hwy if you plan your route in advance. Don't worry about it, I'm sure we'll be able to keep you entertained while here.

• Member Contributer

Dude....you did not just ask "What is TMac?"

right...

kidding, there are probably a good 5 or 6 people out there who still don't know about the greatest annual gathering of VFR's in this galaxy for the sole express purpose of celebrating life and memorializing the first member loss of our forum on the best roads open to the public withthe best people in this (or any other) galaxy.

After reading this thread http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73695-official-10th-annual-texasmac-thread-2013-may-23-27th/

do a Vimeo search for TimmytheCop or the song "Where's Your Head At?"

• Member Contributer

If you're on the BRPW, south of Asheville a fun little section of road to hit is 151, short but sweet! Down/back up, perhaps 10-15 miles round trip. Just make a u-turn at the end of the twisty stuff and head back up.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking about roads and thought it might be cool to check out the possibly-open-by-then Two Wheels Only down in Suches (er, Two Wheels of Suches). I seem to remember round trip via Cherohala and 30/315/60 being a very long 400 mile day, but you could swing south and do some scenic roads like 348/356/197 and make it around 200 round-trip.

Twisty day-dreaming...

• Member Contributer

+1 thats a great route and 219 to Hot Springs.

I was thinking about roads and thought it might be cool to check out the possibly-open-by-then Two Wheels Only down in Suches (er, Two Wheels of Suches). I seem to remember round trip via Cherohala and 30/315/60 being a very long 400 mile day, but you could swing south and do some scenic roads like 348/356/197 and make it around 200 round-trip.

Twisty day-dreaming...

Archived