What do you carry and why?

oyama

Device to carry  

19 members have voted

1. 1. I would carry:

• Laptop/Ultrabook
    • iPad/Android tablet

OK you Gun tote'en crazies, lets try to stick to the topic of what Electric components you should carry.

I was going to add a bunch of other crap until I actually READ what the Thread was about.

You can start a "what personal protection to carry on your bike" thread to cover the other. :ph34r: My 40 is too big so the 380 is it!

On the topic, neither! Droid phone, but thinking of a tablet.

BR

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm carrying about 35 extra pounds... and a Glock 22... and sometimes a .380 Ruger... and for nostalgia a .38 Special. It's the first one I'd like not to be carrying.

Oh, almost forgot. An iPhone.

• Member Contributer

vfrcapn: I believe I would use it for media consumption. When I am on the road and stop I would check for weather and directions. When at the hotel, I would just use some Internet. I could all do it on my phone but it would be better on a bigger screen.

Rdguy: I was thinking about similar combo too. But it seems there are better apps, programs for a tablet or laptop.

V4 Rosso: That looks promising, but we probably should wait for the SP1. :ph34r:

Timmithecop: 357MAG, and thinking about an 380 :fing02:

YoshiHNS: Yes, I do have a desktop. I built it about a year ago. I am quite happy with it. You know, as you just mentioned the storage, I figured I could just buy more SD cards. The only thing I want to store on the road are pictures and videos. If I buy a few of memory cards then I can just change them in the camera and transfer the content to the desktop once I am at home. 6.5TB should last for a while… Nope, would not want a netbook. I already have a slow laptop. There is an “OK” free GPS app for tablets called navfree USA.

Burns: That is the problem. There is no “need.” The more I think about the more I realize my phone would do it all. What I “want” is more comfort and something that easier to travel with. BTW, the thread did not “degrade,” the thread “elevated” to gun thread. :excl:

Rice: I think about it.

Baileyrock: I should have know that with that topic it would not take long to change the subject. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all y'all. I might have to get both...

• Member Contributer

:ph34r: My 40 is too big so the 380 is it!

BR

Well, a smartphone with data plan linked to a tablet saves some $$ and gets you the same result.

As far as carrying a handgun, maybe you should reevaluate the websites you're visiting??

:ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Smith & Wesson makes bicycles. I see some local cops riding them. Before long they'll have Smith & Wesson Segways. Those are kind of like motorcycles. There. Relevance.

I wish there was a hard drive made that you could just download SD cards onto, because all I need a computer for on trips is to house GoPro footage from the previous day. My iPhone is good enough to update this forum on the road.

• Member Contributer

I wish there was a hard drive made that you could just download SD cards onto, because all I need a computer for on trips is to house GoPro footage from the previous day. My iPhone is good enough to update this forum on the road.

They're out there, here's one:

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B0055EB9LK

• Member Contributer

Epson P7000 is what a lot of pros use. Might be discontinued because SD cards can hold so much now.

V4 Rosso: That looks promising, but we probably should wait for the SP1. :ph34r:

History has learned that you have a valid point here :laugh: Maybe the hardware is supported by Linux.

I have a buffalo NAS that can do that, paid €80 for it and has 1TB of storage space.

http://www.buffalote...nter/nas_system

Direct Copy Function

Direct Copy allows you to copy data from an external USB device, such as a digital camera or flash drive, directly to a LinkStation NAS using the LinkStation USB accessory port. Conveniently copy movies, music photos and more directly to your LinkStation without the use of a computer. (LS-XL model not supported)

As soon as you connect the camera it copies the camera's content to the NAS hardrdive.

OK you Gun tote'en crazies, lets try to stick to the topic of what Electric components you should carry.

I was going to add a bunch of other crap until I actually READ what the Thread was about.

You can start a "what personal protection to carry on your bike" thread to cover the other. :ph34r: My 40 is too big so the 380 is it!

BR

Ohhhh, okay... So, if I add a laser sight, Im good, right? :fing02:

• Member Contributer

If you can wait a few weeks.....

http://www8.hp.com/u...multitouch.html :ph34r:

And oh, I hate guns.

Good thing you are from the Netherlands and not Switzerland then. :smile:

• Member Contributer

It might be worth your while to take a look at the ASUS transformers. They're Android tablets that have a docking bay/keyboard. When they're docked, they look and act like a netbook, and when you hit the button the whole screen section comes off and is a touch screen tablet.

Both sections have batteries, so when they're docked they run forever, or if you're running just the tablet and it gets low, you can dock and it'll run off the dock battery. The big advantage that I see is that the keyboard includes standard USB ports and a full sized SD card slot, which makes it easy to move things on and off. Kind of the best of both worlds.

• Member Contributer

Sorry I jacked the thread. This a good topic, and one I should pay attention to because up till now, I have carried Travis and shoved SD cards at him and stated "make it go"

I should be more self-sufficient.

Meh, that's fine Timmy, I don't mind at all. You are a bit untenable with those damn cards sometimes though.

+1 G23 and my backpack! Soon to be carring an iPhone if I can find a mount that'saffordable and works.

I use the RAM X-Mount for my Droid X2. I'm not an apple fan boy, but they do make iPhone specific mounts (RAM does at least). The X-Mount wasn't too expensive.

If you can wait a few weeks.....

http://www8.hp.com/u...multitouch.html :ph34r:

And oh, I hate guns.

I've been waiting for something like that Dutchy! Currently for my masters courses I use a laptop to watch the lectures and a droid tablet to take notes (with a stylus). I get my lecture slides on PDF and just annotate them.

Big drawback for the tablets is storage space, and I haven't tried hooking up an external drive.

Oh, and Dutchy, thank you for stating you hate guns rather than "I don't believe in them". Drives me nuts when I hear/read that, believe it, they exist!

To that end... LC9 with hollow point +P and G22 pre-ban, Both or either depending on my attire :)

And to answer Oyama, I'm an old school need to have a keyboard kinda guy. But, I know a deauville rider that uses his iPad on the AngelRide (we use GPS trackers to keep track of lead bicyclist, some random cyclists, and all of the motocrew and SAG vehicles). He has a mount on his tank bag. Very useful, and only checks status at stops (motocrew does roaming and corner work).

Hmmm... guess that doesn't help much in you quest. :lobby:

I must be the only person so far to carry an XD-45...and my iPhone. because I can :)

Nope, not the only.

Back on topic...

Sounds like you're thinking mostly browsing (or similar). That sounds a lot like a tablet to me.

If you're looking cheap, you're in the Android world (unless $400+ is cheap to you, in which case, are you adopting?)

The Nexus 7 starts at $200. add $50 for a total of 16gb of storage.

Rumors are staying that there will be a cellular-data model coming soon.

Course, if you're waiting, rumors are ramping up about an iPad Mini coming soon.

I have an iPad 2 with 3G and it's very handy. Still, I don't particularly like it. It's too big. If I didn't already have the iPad, I would have already purchased a Nexus 7.

If you want to blur the tablet/notebook line, the Asus Transformer is probably your best bet. Docked in the keyboard, you get a real USB port which could be plugged into a hub to download stuff from SD cards to an attached USB drive. (in theory anyway, haven't tried it personally.

• Member Contributer

If you're up for perusing the used market, see about hunting down a Panasonic T5, T8, T9, W5, or W8. 10" touchscreens, 3lbs, 10hr battery life. What more do you need on the road?

• Member Contributer

Carried a 10" $200 netbook for a year before it died, even using a Pelican tm case.

To Mr.Dutchy, they called my Texas grandfather "Dutch" when he was in the Ardiene(sic) forest in WW1. Go figure.

Over here in New Holland -we like guns- post-19304-0-75354900-1349390537.jpg

Archived