What do you carry and why?

oyama

Device to carry  

19 members have voted

1. 1. I would carry:

• Laptop/Ultrabook
    • iPad/Android tablet

• Member Contributer

It is time for me to get a new device to replace my 5 years old laptop. I carried my laptop at least once a year on the VFR. (tmac) My 15.6” laptop is a little cumbersome in the bike trunk. I would like to get a somewhat motorcycle friendly device. I have been debating among a tablet, ultrabook and laptop. These are the advantages I see. What are your thoughts? What would you pick (or have) for yourself and why?

Tablet:

Smaller

More durable

Last longer per charge

Smaller charging cable than laptop and same as my phone.

Can be charged while riding

Easily can act as a GPS

Laptop/ultrabook:

Better to type on.

Bigger screen.

Can store pictures/videos from camera or GoPro.

I could use it for school.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The first question is what do you want to use it for? Typing out or editing papers, intensive web browsing or spreadsheets I'd go with a laptop/ultrabook, maybe a 14" screen with one of the SSD drives. Some laptops are coming with touchscreens too, check HP.

I use my 7" Kindle Fire "on the road" when I know I'll need more than my phone for email and web but don't want to lug around my old laptop. Fits nicely in a tankbag. Battery life is a huge plus. If you don't go with a 3 or 4G tablet, most with just wifi will tether to your phone wirelessly, like I do with the Kindle.

When I get home though I always revert back to the laptop, not sure I'm ready to give that up for just a tablet. Although there are the add on keyboards/screens/storage devices to expand them.

• Member Contributer

ACER Aspire 100, used to run Ubuntu netbook remix, which was great. I need to find a more modern lightweight version of Ubuntu, but that's not quite what you're asking...

I'd still choose some sort of netbook - something with a real keyboard.

So call me a dinosaur.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

This is assuming that you have a desktop at home that you can do real work on when you need to.

If you need to do any normal computing or file storing, then you have to go laptop. If you just want something to check email on or look at some web pages while you're on the road, then any cheap tablet will do the trick. I picked up an old Micro Velocity tablet for $50 that can serve that purpose. Well, actually got it for the shop to see if it could replace the 15 year old rolodex (it can). And I wouldn't use it as a GPS. The cost of the data plan alone would let you buy a decent to nice GPS with more functions (and probably work with gloves on).

Can't really recommend a netbook unless it is really cheap. Not something you want to live with. Slow and not that nice to work on. Great for portability though.

If you don't have a desktop at home, then you probably should get a laptop. Asus Zenbook UX31E is a pretty nice one. Lenovo Ideapads are pretty good too, but pricier.

• Member Contributer

XD-40. Oh wait, it's not that kind of thread?

Oyama, what are your needs, when on the road? You are spot on w/ the pros and cons, but what do you REALLY use it for? if it's just for surfing and email, I'd shoot for a tablet.. small, great battery life.. if you are using it for more (like picture downloading, etc) then maybe an ultrabook..

• Member Contributer

An ultra book with SSD is the way to go. However If you like the touchscreen idea and need the functionality of Windows, the Microsoft Surface is going to be a really cool Windows 8 tablet that has a new, innovative keyboard. I am sure it will have GPS too.

As I understand it, the GPS on the Glock only works if you point it at somebody, so I would just stick with a tablet or ultrabook.

• Member Contributer

Kel Tec P3AT Mostly for zombies.

+1 Me too P3AT, but not for zombies... need a shotgun for zombies, .380s are too small.

• Member Contributer

I'd go for a small laptop.

I own both, an iPad and a laptop.

iPad or other tablets are only good for email and web browsing.

If I can only have one, i'd definitely choose a laptop.

• Member Contributer

(like picture downloading, etc)

wink wink nudge nudge, say no more :laugh:

THIS is why I ride a VFR

where else can someone start a thread about computer stuff, and it degrages into a gun thread… and someone tosses in a little Monte Python for good measure

Sorry I jacked the thread. This a good topic, and one I should pay attention to because up till now, I have carried Travis and shoved SD cards at him and stated "make it go"

I should be more self-sufficient.

Archived