Ride Of A Lifetime Report...ridiculously Pic Heavy!

Kel,

Thanks for sharing some of the $$$ details of this epic trip. Thanks to you, I just added such trip to my "before I die" to-do list.

you might have said it before but, did you go using local GPS, your own, or maps?

and what would be the "essentials" to pack for such trip?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Kel,

Thanks for sharing some of the $$$ details of this epic trip. Thanks to you, I just added such trip to my "before I die" to-do list.

you might have said it before but, did you go using local GPS, your own, or maps?

and what would be the "essentials" to pack for such trip?

Bryan rented a GPS from the place we got the bikes, it had the latest maps. I brought my own which had routes that I made using Garmin's Basecamp. My GPS did pork us a few times. A few times it would say to take a split in the highway that was incorrect and once it had the hotel address wrong. Mostly it was dead on, funny thing though, some of the switchbacks were so tight that it would say to "make a u-turn" or "take a right".

As far as essentials, I was going some place warm so you just pack clothes accordingly. For extras, I brought some zip ties, duct tape, Leatherman multi-tool, straping with buckles, small hand towel, back pack, rubber bands, small med kit, chargers and cords for electronics, european outlet converter, pen/paper, sunscreen, etc, etc. I used most on that list 1 or more times. Hermann included a heavy lock, chain lube, and Fix-a-flat under the seat. Most places had WiFi so I brought a small 7" tablet to keep in touch, check weather etc. We actually booked our last hotel from the road. Oh, and I brought my NEP throttle lock, it was a trip saver and I almost forgot it!

• Member Contributer

Kel,

Thanks for the wright-up. Pics are too cool for school. Talk about an epic ride!!!!!

I would love to do same if I could find someone of my like riding ability to do it with me.

As much as I liked crossing on the Queen Elizabeth, I would trade your trip for that

any day. Good for you guys!!!!

• Member Contributer

IMG_0722.jpg

glock.jpg

Aaaahhh..... Grossglocker.....

Sillian.jpg

HPIM0105.jpg

Aaaaaahhhhh....... Alps

sirmione.jpg

Aaaaaaah... Lake Garda!!!

Great write-up and pics!! I used to live in Austria, not too far from Lienz, (before I had a motorcycle license unfortunately) makes me miss the place! :tour:

Wooow......great trip....great pics....great story.....

That reminds me of something. I have a mission to accomplish....

I've tried three times in the last 15 years to visit the "GrossGlockner" with three different cars. Still...never been there....yet !

first time: care broke down (overheated and damaged the engine; after repairs no time or money left.....)

second time: accident......car damaged (not me to blame....);

third time: road closed for days because the bad weather (snow).

Now I know.....I go there on mij VFR....I have to !

Kel,

Thanks for the wright-up. Pics are too cool for school. Talk about an epic ride!!!!!

I would love to do same if I could find someone of my like riding ability to do it with me.

As much as I liked crossing on the Queen Elizabeth, I would trade your trip for that

Not sure if I qualify but I'm starting to plan for such a trip. wanna join?

Kel,

Not sure if I qualify but I'm starting to plan for such a trip. wanna join?

Just make sure he keeps all his important documents, cell phone, and wallet on his person this time and not in the damn luggage will ya!!!!!!!!! Sorry Ed, couldn't help myself..............

• Member Contributer

I feel the time is right for Kel to release the umbrella girl pictures no?

:ph34r:

• 1 year later...

Archived