The Basket Case (CAUTION PIC HEAVY)

Guest New2This

Guest New2This

Well for starters this is my first street bike. a 1993 vfr 750 interceptor and she has problems... also this is my first post so hello from central indiana! my name is AJ and i bought the bike for 800 the fairings are obviously more or less non existent it only starts if its on the charger. BTW taking the seat off is a pain if u dont use the key just saying. Has this weird thing when u try to start it u have to wiggle the key to even get it to do anything. But it does run i drove it before i bought it. Yes it is in dire straights but i have been lurking on here and i figured if anyone could help it would be you guys what a great Forum!

Ok now for the ambitious plans!

looking at getting all new clip on controls (bike bandit) check out the choke cable pic

6th gen tail section. Sub-frame and all that.

cbr 600 rr fairings

The tank has some dents in it too i dont know if i should repair it or replace it.

i would like to use a digital dash but really anything on the cheap that will work and fit behind the cbr front fairings would work.

it needs a new fan i was told the one on it is currently run to a switch (check the pics) ya i know WTF

and the gatorade bottle overflow tank needs to go.

i havent tore her down yet i am concerned about the forks do they need rebuilt and the carbs need to be tuned.

Any and all help would be just awesome as i look forward to riding this beast!

BTW the snow is from hauling it home...

post-24060-0-83222500-1327151133.jpg

post-24060-0-23324500-1327151222.jpg

post-24060-0-82506100-1327151350.jpg

post-24060-0-24027500-1327151431.jpg

post-24060-0-39356300-1327151503.jpg

post-24060-0-23739200-1327151562.jpg

Choke Cable

post-24060-0-60664600-1327151668.jpg

post-24060-0-78790700-1327151748.jpg

post-24060-0-09570400-1327151839.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :tour:

I bet that when you were a kid, you loved the story of the ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan....... :tongue:

Good on ya, following your dream instead of just dreaming. :fing02:

The 90-97 manual can be downloaded from the "Files" section (top bar on your screen)

Thanks for the welcome! I just downloaded it and It has already answered alot of questions!

And I plan on making it a helluva swan! Except orange and charcoal colors haha

wow, that's a butch job! Been there, 4 years later, did that...not again...spent 4500 bucks on it, but it looked amazing. Honestly? I wouldn't even bother trying to sort that harness. I'd find another one in good shape and replace it.

The ignition issue I am betting is due to the butchering of the harness or a loose wire. The battery is toast. The way I go about bringing poor abused basket cases such as yours back to life is like this;

get it running...check

Change all the fluids (especially on that poor girl)

make sure it still runs

start acquiring the parts you need (btw, the fairings are probably going to be tough to come by, but I believe there are aftermarket ones around?)

start your tear down...take your time, take pics and go slowly. It's easy to get in over your head

if you don't mind me asking, what was the original asking price?

I start tearing her down on Tuesday with a buddy of mine. We have breathed life back into several cars. It's the the electronics but once I can figure out what I need it will be easier

You, Sir, have gumption. It takes a unique person to tackle that kind of project, and I suspect you have what it takes.

Welcome aboard and keep the pics flowing as you make progress.

Btw he wanted 1100 and I said no way and because it is mechanically sound I paid 800 for it. I have had one member PM me some info for parts. If anyone else has anything let me know! Especially a subframe and fairings. I'm excited and I know I can do it it will just be a parts hunt but the hunt is half the excitement!

• Member Contributer

WOW - that's quite the project there, quite ambitious and I love it!

Definitley needs a lot of TLC but I think that's the best part. Good luck with it and let us know how it's going!

• Member Contributer

One option for you is to turn it into a street fighter. It would probably cost less, due to the lack of body panels, yet give you a challenge finding creative ways to give it a unique look and restore some of its luster. 'wiremybike' might be a good place to start for your electrical needs, I never bought from them but I have seen many a mention of them on a few post. For $800 and it runs is a pretty good start IMO.

Good Luck on your project.

Cheers!

First let me preface my comments by saying "welcome to the forums" New2this!

I'm curious what's your ultimate goal for this project? To end up with a "beater" for track use, or with a clean motorcycle legal for riding on the streets?

Also, am I correct in the understanding that you've already invested $800+ transportation costs on this '93 VFR "project" motorcycle?

If so, regardless of your answer to the first question I wonder if you're aware that with some patience you could probably find and purchase a relatively-clean, complete and fully-functional

3rd-generation ('90-'93) VFR 750 with reasonably low mileage for less than $2.5k IMO?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but my recommendation is before you invest more time and $$ into this project first make a list of all the parts you already know will have to be replaced, then research the availability and selling prices for similar items on e-bay, etc.. Don't forget to include the cost for a battery, new tires, and any other parts that may need to be replaced just to pass state inspection requirements. I also recommend you determine if the charging system is functioning properly, for this tends to be a common issue with older model VFRs.

If you do so it's my belief that you'll realize it might be wise to consider "taking your licks" now and limiting your ultimate investment (and level of frustration) by re-selling, or parting out your purchase now while searching patiently for an opportunity to purchase a similar VFR that may need little more more than a fresh battery, set of tires, or just normal maintenance and perhaps a tune-up.

Sadly, judging from the images you've provided I fear it's likely to cost a lot more than $1.7k

($2.5k - $800)...plus a lot of your time and labor before you'd be able to restore this project bike to a fully-functional, street legal machine for which you could also be proud of cosmetically.

Also please consider that even if you really do enjoy working on this sort of project, trust me when I say that riding a VFR is still a lot more fun than wrenching on one!

Good Luck!

Good luck sir.

Just for a little perspective, it cost me over 7,000 to rebuild mine after a crash and make it look new again. See my gallery for pics.

Mine wasn't a basket case before the accident, and yours looks like it was involved in a lot of little accidents, such as the Marrettes on the battery wiring. Etc??????

Anyhow, best of luck and keep us informed. We like pics though.

I do like the fighter style as it already runs and rides. Fairings are expensive I get that. It's titled and is registered just needs a new tail section. Clean up all the wiring woes. And alot of tlc. What do you recommend for gauges on a fighter? It's all 90% cosmetic. And a wireing harness. The tires were bought last season and look to be in excellent condition I know just tearing it down and getting all the random rigged crap on it off will definitely give me a better perspective. If its too much once I get to that point I will just part it out or keep it as a donor and look for another one

Good lord :blink: somebody butched the hell outta that poor girl!! Welcome sir, best of luck to you. Get rid of them damn HOUSE wiring nuts and an other dumbass added "wiring" you find, might cure more problems than you have even found yet!!

I look forward to seeing the swan :comp13:

http://charlotte.cra...2749921258.html

found this while snooping. Looks like he might be parting it out, might be able to get the fairings etc?? Or maybe the whole bike??

also here: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2794332657.html

I'm considering pinging this guy for pics

Im currently working on getting a whole lot of parts from a member on here! (sa1713) Complete wireing harness, reservoir tank (no more gatorade bottle!) radiator fan, fuel tank.

• Member Contributer

I get the arguments about spending $$$ on something like this vs. spending the same or less on one that's reasonably intact, but I'm not sure that's the point. Tearing this thing down and fixing it up might give you headaches but you learn a helluva lot in the process.

And let's face it anything you do to this thing will be an improvement :tongue:

Best of luck with it :fing02:

It kills me to see the way some of you discourage this guy. It would be one thing if he came with a hypothetical "project bike" and a couple pics.. But he has already purchased and comiited to doing this, he came to this website obviously looking for positive responses and some help. He is proud to own it and rightfully so. I put $1000 into mine including a $500 motor , nobody thought it would go together. Now it sits at 440 wet and will walk on late model 600's(and I weigh 235). And it feels damn good to know I did it myself, and thats the reward in taking on a "project", evidently some of you don't "get it".

We are all in the same club, we love our bikes, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, its not necessary to tell him what he "should've/could've" done, even if it is 'IMO'.

Every VFR we can keep on the road is a win in my book. And really that goes for all bikes that have been ridden hard and put up wet.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth. :fing02:

Archived