The Basket Case (CAUTION PIC HEAVY)

Guest New2This

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The 8-spoke alone is worth nearly half the purchase price. I love the old Ninja screen as a combination fairing/headlight mount. That's priceless!

Good luck with the project. I would strip her down to the bare frame, and start from scratch. She'll likely be a lot of work, and a good sized money hole, but if you can pull it off it'll make for huge satisfaction as well as a great story. Take lots of pics.

What wheels interchange with a third gen I've been looking because I thought there was a post somewhere can't find it. I like a five spoke design but really I just want to put the fattest tire I can on it I know all the bla bla about handling I just like the look.

• Member Contributer

I do like the fighter style as it already runs and rides. Fairings are expensive I get that. It's titled and is registered just needs a new tail section. Clean up all the wiring woes. And alot of tlc. What do you recommend for gauges on a fighter? It's all 90% cosmetic. And a wireing harness. The tires were bought last season and look to be in excellent condition I know just tearing it down and getting all the random rigged crap on it off will definitely give me a better perspective. If its too much once I get to that point I will just part it out or keep it as a donor and look for another one

Not sure i can say what guages you can/should use but I would do a search on this forum for "frankenviffer" and you'll probably find a few good post on what you can use from other bikes and what you can make due with from yours. Personally I would give myself a spending limit and then start with the key components that are truly needed and subtract the cost of those from the budget. This way you can keep spending in check, yet make sure the essentials are covered first.

There are two sides to this; one, if you are going to be spending more on the fix up than on a different fully functional bike for the same if not lesser cost, it might not be worth while. The second, however contradictory it may sound, if your going for a fully custom bike (i.e. Street fighter or decked out fairings with custom colors) then cost should only be an issue if you don't have the means.

When I was in high school I wanted to learn how to work on motorcycles, so I took a class at the local occupational center and while I was learning there my uncle offered me a chance to gain a little more experience at the same time. He had two 1972 Honda 250 dual-purpose bikes that had been left out in the open for quite a number of years and were in really sad shape. He really didn't think that spending money on them was a waste, because he thought that it was crucial to my learning and that with luck he would have two running bikes.

We did end up getting both of them running but one of them, in the process of taking off the cylinder head, one of the head bolts broke off in the engine case. We spent a good chunk of change having it professionally removed because easy outs and other attempts proved futile. My point here is that if it feels right to spend your money on getting the results your looking for, go for it. Just make sure you keep track of where your money is going and that you at least set a budget. There's not much like the feeling of accomplishing something that seems out of reach or near impossible. One last thing, just be patient and don't rush or cut corners as you' ll end up regretting it in one way or another.

Cheers and again, Good Luck!

I recently bought a complete wireing harness, clip on controls (including choke cable) no more crimped on whatever that is, radiator fan assembly and reservoir bottle all for 120 shipped this was from a member on the forum (sa1713) aka Jim. So that was a great step forward as he also has some other bits I will need as I progress.

I've decided to go on and fighter it out as its already lived a good life as a regular bike and the fact that I can create what I want is the whole idea behind it. I realize it looks like a far stretch and from the outside looking in it make look like a waste of time but it's a dream and I have a plan and I'm gathering the necessary parts. Like I said she already runs like a top, it's just bringing my idea of what it should be and making it happen. I'm not intimidated by it this isn't nearly as challenging as other projects such as turning a chevette into a tubbed out 9second drag car (454 and a power glide). Or building a twin turbo cobra mustang. A decent streetfighter can't be nearly as difficult as either of those. So instead of the BS about it being a waste just don't comment now for others that have ideas such as the "frankenviffer" or pming me parts you have for sale or just encouragement! I'm all for it.

It kills me to see the way some of you discourage this guy.

I don't see discouragement, just a reality check.

ANYTHING can be rebuilt. Time and money, that's all it takes. Always more of one than the other, switch them around if you like.

I hope he turns it into a badass bike that is well finished and looks wicked cool. It just aint gonna be done in a weekend for a grand.

Sounds like the OP has experience throwing wrenches at inanimate objects and making them run, so he's probably well qualified to resurrect this sad VFR.

As I said before, good luck, and we love pictures.

What wheels interchange with a third gen I've been looking because I thought there was a post somewhere can't find it. I like a five spoke design but really I just want to put the fattest tire I can on it I know all the bla bla about handling I just like the look.

I wouldn't swap that wheel out with anything....it's the most coveted wheel in the vfr world. Took me nearly a year to find mine and you will have to pry it from my dead hands to get it away from me

wow, lookie here:

http://chicago.craig...2808144785.html

I'd go get this ^^ and use the other for parts.....

You could put a 190 tire on your existing wheel. It's a stretch, and pinches the profile, but it is physically possible.

There is a thread on here where a guy put a car wheel on his 800 using a readily available machined aluminum spacer. It was a 17x 7 wheel and he put on a 200 series tire, IIRC.

Ok I got the tank off, the rear fairing and that black "pos" on the front. There is no snorkel for the air box and the R/R is melted (isn't that the black deal by the rear brake reservoir?

Good luck with it, New. Have fun, we hope to see some cool pics in due course.

Never mind the naysayers, if you've done those other projects, this should be relatively easy. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't swap that wheel out with anything....it's the most coveted wheel in the vfr world. Took me nearly a year to find mine and you will have to pry it from my dead hands to get it away from me

wow, lookie here:

Darn it! Everytime one of these types of deals comes round, it's always in the Mid-West or at least somewhere East of the Mississippi! I guess that's what we get for having the riding weather most of the year. I never seem to catch these finds out West. Look another 8 spoke wheel too...

New, you might be able to meld this one together with your bke and make one really nice one and sell off what remains!

• Member Contributer

Ok I got the tank off, the rear fairing and that black "pos" on the front. There is no snorkel for the air box and the R/R is melted (isn't that the black deal by the rear brake reservoir?

Snorkel isn't a huge deal. Without pics it's hard to tell whether what you are describing is the R/R but from the position it certainly sounds like it. Don't bother with OEM, get one off an R1 or similar - something with a 5-wire set up (+ve, -ve + 3 from the stator) with big f*ck-off fins, then mount it somewhere it will get good airflow (i.e. not behind the panelwork). If the r/r is toast expect similar wreckage in the rest of the charging circuitry inc. connector blocks, wires and elsewhere.

While you're there get the Electrosport bike charging system fault finder here:

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center/fault-finding-guide

I salute you. Make it yours.

also, I will send you my 5 spoke rear wheel and 50 bucks for your 8 spoke. Hell, I'll even put a decent 190 on it.

Only if it is the 5th gen. I like the flat five spokes.

And thanks Parker for the great info!

Ok here are some project pictures... The R/R is melted and my fuel filter is disgusting. And the fuel sending unit ( I assume that's what it is ) the rubber sleeve is cut so it does not stay in place.the carbs look like they could use a thorough cleaning and the wiring is not that bad but I have an unmolested harness on the way!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.408486,-86.156610

post-24060-13274982775568_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274983171418_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274983575321_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274983891505_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274984214357_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274984628016_thumb.jpg

post-24060-13274984919449_thumb.jpg

doesn't look horrible stripped.

Rectifier is TOAST.

She needs a serious degreasing...my method? Centerstand, degreaser and 2100psi of water out of my pressure washer (put airbox back on first, lol)

Those carbs are kind of skanky too

You can probably remove the exhaust can (looks to be a Yoshimura) and hit it with paint stripper and repolish it

I like the bundle of wiring in front of the airbox too......

• Member Contributer

wow, lookie here:

That's probably a really good base to start a rebuild project on, especially if it is a clean title with a good frame. But sounds like he's going to get rid of most of the OEM stuff anyways.

Actually. No. I'll also suggest you go buy that bike. You'll be able to sell most of the parts you don't want, and get a good chunk of change back. Then your starting point isn't as big of a mess as your current one. And maybe the engine is fine and just has a clogged carb or bad starter or something silly like that. Then you'd really be in luck.

I'm seriously considering going to rescue that white 93 in IN myself....I hope to call and get more info on it...not hijacking, back on topic...let us know what you find out.

What is neat about, ahem, projects like this, is once you get a good baseline, it's YOURS. and you keep adding on making it right

• Member Contributer

@ New2This, looks like a total strip down job. Get all the crap off, if you've got new wiring coming you don't have to worry too much about what's on there. R/R and the connector block is forked, get shot of it then go right back through to the stator and check that once you've fixed up the wiring. I looked at the pix and couldn't hel wondering if this was once a decent bike - polished wheel rims - that ended up in the wrong hands and was subsequently butchered.

o/t that white 93 mentioned looks worth salvaging if it's straight, panels alone will fetch good $$ if they're as good as they look.

• Member Contributer

I guess I won't be a basher about a basket case because I of all people am an admitted lazy ass and couldn't fathom having the time to put one together. Between work and family obligations, I am just happy to hop on my VFR for a 20 mile loop before I have to be somewhere/do something. One other thing I know is that some of these basket cases wind up to be some of the most interesting bikes on the road. Congrats on the new bike and best wishes on getting it road worthy. - also a bit curious as to how much a bike in this shape costs. Not asking for your financial details, just a ballpark on a basket case purchase PRIOR TO ADDITIONAL INVESTMENT.

Your wheel is actually the largest stock wheel that fits, 4g owners such as myself often upgrade to a 3g wheel for width and looks, 5g and 6g bikes upgrade to a 3g wheel purely for looks.

3g- 5.5" wide and 8 Spokes.

4g- 5.0" wide and 5 spokes with rounded edges.

5g and 6g- 5.5" wide and 5 spokes with squared off edges.

I plan on tearing it all the way down most likely down to the frame and cleaning it all. Then some engine paint of course and see what else lies below the mess. My purchase price was 800 could have got it cheaper but he threw in a jacket (200$) gloves (60$) and a helmet (120$).

What y'all think of this set up...

Look at this on eBay:

05 06 CBR 600 RR CBR600RR CBR600 BODYWORK FAIRING KIT PAINTED GLOSS ORANGE

http://bit.ly/xhnraP

Archived