Repainting my bike

HispanicSlammer

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum CEO

Check the pins in the connector(PC3)? Try leaving the PC3 out and see what happens?

Thats the first thing I did, which stopped the flashing errors, 2, 8, 19. However now the fi light just stays lit solid. I am going to take the plastics off and check more connectors up front where I had the dash off. The fi light is supposed to come on for a moment at key on then turn off, it just stays lit now. I may put in the regular bulb though, instead of the LED just to see.

Yes my gun is just a small detail gun, not a large gun. I may just get a larger gun at harbor frieght down the road for the clear.

I have one of those sponge sanding blocks, 4 inches by 3 inch thick, I fold the wet paper around it and go at it.

A dumb question: do you need to reset the ECU with the jumper on the left subframe so the FI code disappears?

Oh yeah - I really like the red/white paint job! :angry: Not so keen on the white powdercoated frame bits, but admire the originality. Well done, Miguel!

• Forum CEO

A dumb question: do you need to reset the ECU with the jumper on the left subframe so the FI code disappears?

Not dumb, and yes I did the reset procedure. That is how I cleared the orginal 3 errors after I cleaned and reconnected the pcusb. Now I will take the plastics off and check the connector to the tip over sensor, I removed the dash to put in LED lights and the manual says a constantly lit fi light could be the tip over sensor (near where I was working) the pulse generator ( not even close to where I was working ) a bad ECM (unlikely) and a few other unlikely things in the checklist. I believe the fi light is supposed to come on for a few seconds to do a lamp check then turn off until there is an error.

I mentioned in the thread earlier that I fit LED lamps in the dash and sombody said that the LED might be the wrong impedance for the FI system. I dont know I will test that too when I get the front cowl off again. I am up all night so I will get to it.

It wants to start, it starts to catch then the starter motor just turns over and over nothing, drained the battery.

Check the pins in the connector(PC3)? Try leaving the PC3 out and see what happens?

Thats the first thing I did, which stopped the flashing errors, 2, 8, 19. However now the fi light just stays lit solid. I am going to take the plastics off and check more connectors up front where I had the dash off. The fi light is supposed to come on for a moment at key on then turn off, it just stays lit now. I may put in the regular bulb though, instead of the LED just to see.

Yes my gun is just a small detail gun, not a large gun. I may just get a larger gun at harbor frieght down the road for the clear.

I have one of those sponge sanding blocks, 4 inches by 3 inch thick, I fold the wet paper around it and go at it.

Hopefully it's just a loose connector, sounds like the regular bulb will cure it though. If you want to buy your own clear gun, make sure you get one that has a 1.3 tip at minimum, and no more than 1.5. Forgot how big your compressor is, but if it was running constantly with your other gun you should stick to 1.3.

edit: Sharpe's Finex line of guns shoot good and are relatively cheap, you might find someone local that carries them?

• Forum CEO

Miguel, someone had mentioned a long time ago, years in fact, that an LED would stay lit in the Fi position, even if there was no fault with the bike.

Dunno why though,,,,,,, :cheerleader:

I put the old bulb back in, no more fi light, shorted the fi diagnostic connector and it stays lit no errors. She still wont start, guy at work thinks maybe I tripped the tip over sensor, but I dont think that is somthing I have to reset it should be ok? Next I am going to look over the coil wires, replace spart plugs they are in need of replacement anyhow.

I put the old bulb back in, no more fi light, shorted the fi diagnostic connector and it stays lit no errors. She still wont start, guy at work thinks maybe I tripped the tip over sensor, but I dont think that is somthing I have to reset it should be ok? Next I am going to look over the coil wires, replace spart plugs they are in need of replacement anyhow.

Resetting the bank angle sensor is as easy as cycling the key on/off. Hope you get it figured out quick!

• Member Contributer

The white pegs, heat shield, and front fender look like, ass. Sorry unsure.gif I think the white wheels and white stripe on red could work without those aforementioned parts.

Don't ban me, bro!

• Forum CEO

The white pegs, heat shield, and front fender look like, ass. Sorry unsure.gif I think the white wheels and white stripe on red could work without those aforementioned parts.

Don't ban me, bro!

The heat shield white is actually primer, and so is the front fender. I am going to probably keep the heat shield that way but the fender no gonna do the red with white strips there too as soon as its cured completly, its a different kind of paint so I will have to wait till it cures. Ass he says, dont hold back Jeremy tell me what you really think. I like it and thats all that counts.

• Member Contributer

I kind of like the white fender, but maybe reversed red stripes would set off that look better than all white -maybe just a tiny bit wider than the white on red stripes.

But what do I know? I painted my bike Massey Ferguson Grey & Black. My sense of style is decidedly agricultural wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Don't ban me, bro!

The heat shield white is actually primer, and so is the front fender. I am going to probably keep the heat shield that way but the fender no gonna do the red with white strips there too as soon as its cured completly, its a different kind of paint so I will have to wait till it cures. Ass he says, dont hold back Jeremy tell me what you really think. I like it and thats all that counts.

My opinion's worth what you paid for it. goofy.gif

Cheers beer.gif

Naa, just start on the flatter surfaces, and by the time you get to the corners & contours, it will be nice & pliable.

If you soak it beforehand it wil cut much better from the start and last a lot longer. Give it a try next time. :goofy:

paintdone 001.jpg

The bike sure looks great, great job Slammer :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I like most everything, but it is lacking the "completeness" for me. The fender would look much better with at least some red accents, or red with white accents. Then the hard parts, I think that it will all come together if the Frame was white as well. There is a disconnection to the eye with the silver frame.

• Member Contributer

... the fender no gonna do the red with white strips there too as soon as its cured completly, its a different kind of paint ...

why does the fender get a different kinda paint?

• Member Contributer

This looks good Miguel, although I won't be the one cleaning the white parts, it all comes together nicely. Nice job! :laughing6-hehe:

Are those vfrd decals available from somewhere?

• Member Contributer

Bike looks light weight and fast in the new paint scheme. The white will just keep you honest as far as cleaning between rides. Looks great.

• Forum CEO

Well I bought a pint of white paint - mixed it in a plastic cup since the jars I was using ran out. The white paint I filled the pot with and the rest I left in the cup. When the darned cup dissolved in the paint and it spilled all over the damn floor of my shed, lost. Expensive paint I was so dissapointed bad choice for mixing cups. So I used some rattle can primer and white for plastics, on the fender and it matches very close. So once its cured I can tape it off and do the stripes and then spray the red over it then clear coat it in a week or so.

I need to redo the left fairing too - I have the whole story in my blog. I painted my rock chipped mirrors with the same white rattle can paint, and later I am going to clean up the frame and do it as well, I did not want to drop the engine and have the frame powdercoated, its up higher from the ground and protected by the fairing so it doesnt need as tough a finish as wheels and swingarm.

• Forum CEO

Are those vfrd decals available from somewhere?

I had them done custom at

Dale Arnold

Sign Artist / Designer

Dale@CustomVinylGraphics.com

I have the font availible on the forum in the site comments section you can make your own, I custom made the font myself

• Member Contributer

Miguel, I use a detail gun for bikes also. The one I have is so cheap, it's embarrassing but it does a great job. The smaller nozzles appear to do a better job of atomizing the liquid. Is there any chance that your fuel pump has quit? Have you tried to prime it and see if it would run?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned the whole thottle body, fuel rail, soaked the Injectors in seafoam overnight, new seals and buttoned it back up. She started first try! So I put the plastics on and went over to Garden Of Gods Park to take some more pictures

gallery_491_4444_304550.jpg

paintdone 009.jpg

gallery_491_4444_449165.jpg

paintdone 014.jpg

gallery_491_4444_1113395.jpg

paintdone 013.jpg

gallery_491_4444_634827.jpg

paintdone 012.jpg

gallery_491_4444_675403.jpg

paintdone 011.jpg

gallery_491_4444_476362.jpg

paintdone 010.jpg

gallery_491_4444_304497.jpg

paintdone 009.jpg

gallery_491_4444_436241.jpg

paintdone 008.jpg

gallery_491_4444_181176.jpg

paintdone 007.jpg

gallery_491_4444_818354.jpg

paintdone 006.jpg

gallery_491_4444_815278.jpg

paintdone 005.jpg

gallery_491_4444_692573.jpg

paintdone 004.jpg

gallery_491_4444_904319.jpg

paintdone 003.jpg

gallery_491_4444_753027.jpg

paintdone 002.jpg

gallery_491_4444_341450.jpg

paintdone 001.jpg

Looking good Miguel!

Any shots of you with the bike, resplendent in your new gear???

And the old girl must be riding fine now, what with all the moving bits properly cleaned, greased and torqued up?

Archived