Repainting my bike

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Holy Batcrap Batman!! He painted his swingarm WHITE!! :goofy:

Powder coat - its spiffy! Then I am going to put that grimy chain cover over it and make it look like crappy again! Unless somebody has a good one laying around somewhere? Maybe leave it off - get an aluminum one? Do the sebspeed inside brake route thing? It should not be hard with the excentric hub out at the moment. Get some braided line and just do it!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum CEO

HS you better bring this newly skinned machine to PNW in august... A WHITE SWINGARM hummmmm cant wait to see it.

Yea after getting an earful from Tony about how my bike looked at the summit, all dull and weather beaten. At the time I just did not see the point in washing my bike since it was all rock chipped wind blasted and dirty. Sitting next to his nice cobalt blue vtec it looked like crap. He should thank me for makeing his bike look good - as we sucked down Coronas in Montrose waiting for Jeff to arrive from his wallet losing escapade - Radars nice candy red, Tonys nice cobalt blue and my 8 year old once italian red. It was time to paint!

• Member Contributer

You've got it torn down so now's the time for that stuff. I'd go for the braided(hidden) lines for sure. Grab a sheet of aluminum and make your own custom chainguard. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm so stunned by the white swingarm I'm almost speechless.

...almost! :laughing6-hehe:

Looks like some good work you're doin there HS! I cringed when I saw the freshly primed parts sitting on the dirty hard concrete! If you tackle the wet sanding piece by piece, lets say one piece per day over the next couple weeks, you'll be in good shape.

Your mixed product should be about the consistency of half&half. Keep up the good work! :fing02:

Oh, and having the hub out will make the brake line mod INFINITELY easier! Lemme know if you need more info than what's in that thread regarding hose type & size, fittings, etc. :laughing6-hehe:

So far so good Miguel. I'm curious, is this your initial foray into painting? I hope so, I want to see what a paintvirgin can do with patience and determination. I worked in a body shop for a summer or two as a young teen but I never painted. It was grunt work tearing apart wrecks and sanding, sanding, sanding. I got that part down.

• Member Contributer

HS you better bring this newly skinned machine to PNW in august... A WHITE SWINGARM hummmmm cant wait to see it.

Yea after getting an earful from Tony about how my bike looked at the summit, all dull and weather beaten. At the time I just did not see the point in washing my bike since it was all rock chipped wind blasted and dirty. Sitting next to his nice cobalt blue vtec it looked like crap. He should thank me for makeing his bike look good - as we sucked down Coronas in Montrose waiting for Jeff to arrive from his wallet losing escapade - Radars nice candy red, Tonys nice cobalt blue and my 8 year old once italian red. It was time to paint!

Ya, that was it. I always wondered why my bike never looked quite as good as it did on that trip. It's all in the company you keep. wink.gif

Don't know about all the white? Reminds me of marshmellows or a dirty clown. I'm scared of dirty clowns.

One tip I'll offer is, get a reverse mask for your tank wings and have 'em painted on instead of decals.

Had that done to mine with the wings and an overspray to the VFR on the rear quarter. Sealed under clear coat there is no edge to worry about. Looking forward to it.

Does this mean you'll actually wash it regularly now?

• Forum CEO

I sent out for a custom etched lazer with the initials 'vfrd' - so yea - the white swingarm in powdercoat should look dirty within one ride. Gonna take a page from my buddy Reddog and use white lithium grease on my chain, his chain always looks spic and span, and I am always amazed at how good his chain looks! Yea the swingarm is hollow of course and its got a big hole inside where the eccentric hub fits, should be easy to thread braided lines in there, there is even a couple of holes by the pivots already where you can slide them in from the front.

I thought of black powdercoat but it seems with white wheels and red, white graphics - well I went with the same theme. I did not paint my frame, I ran out of primer so maybe I will rattle can the frame white, or at least parts of it.

• Forum CEO

get a reverse mask for your tank wings and have 'em painted on instead of decals.

Had that done to mine with the wings and an overspray to the VFR on the rear quarter. Sealed under clear coat there is no edge to worry about. Looking forward to it.

Hmm I got white viynle graphics set up, with the vfrd logo instead of the orginal vfr logo, white honda wing too. The bikes gonna be 2 tone red and white, white naca ducts and a double white stripe down the middle. I am sure I will jack it all up - mister drip master on the primer this afternoon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

Well some dissapointments for sure, orange peel on the clear coat. I ordered more, sand it smooth and shoot more in the comming weeks after the clear coat arrives. Its going to be a hella lotta worka to do that. For now I am done and on break. Now I fixed a fi light error (the PC3usb connector - cleaned and reconnected fixed it) poured fuel in the tank, no leaks :thank my lucky stars: but I drained the battery trying to start it. In any case it started to catch but now enough before the battery gave up. Its on the trickle chager for now.

gallery_491_4444_285255.jpg

paintdone 001.jpg

gallery_491_4444_926962.jpg

paintdone 002.jpg

gallery_491_4444_789023.jpg

paintdone 003.jpg

gallery_491_4444_832458.jpg

paintdone 004.jpg

gallery_491_4444_940567.jpg

paintdone 005.jpg

gallery_491_4444_744638.jpg

paintdone 007.jpg

• Member Contributer

"NICE"...the Red and White Theme looks Good... :blink: :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I Like It! :blink:

Wet sanding can be a relaxing way to spend more/all of your free time! :laugh:

• Forum CEO

Oh - question: Are all the decals under the clear?

Yea, I shot clear over the decals - I let the color dry a few hours before shooting clear but that was not enough appearantly since, there are some bubbles in one of the decals, I know they were not there when I shot it. Live an learn, I am going to shoot more clear again later after I take off all the peices again and wet sand with some fine grit to get it smooth again - I shot all the clear coat it called for the clear coat that was left over solidified

• Forum CEO

Geez now she wont start at all, fi light was on. I looked up the codes, 2, 8, 19 all related by the fact they are routed through the same connector. I had the pc3 off and so I figured I did not get the connector on right. I took it apart cleaned it. No more flashes but now the fi light is on all the time, wont stop lighting up. I tried reconnecting the ECM - light is still on. I did replace the FI lamp with a led lamp? But I dont know why that would change things? I can hear the fuel pump come on, the pc3 lights up, it starts to catch, there is gas in the tank. I am a little perplexed. I have to retrace my steps and figure out what I missed. I will check the fuses next but shoot I pretty much left the engine alone. I did however replace the stator cover, maybe there is something there I missed? It is getting fuel I can smell it in the exhuast, maybe a coil wire come off?

• Member Contributer

Lookin' good HS! Hope you get her running soon - I like the red/white theme - it's purty :blink:

By the by, the white frame idea would look absolutely saaweeeet!

Geez now she wont start at all, fi light was on. I looked up the codes, 2, 8, 19 all related by the fact they are routed through the same connector. I had the pc3 off and so I figured I did not get the connector on right. I took it apart cleaned it. No more flashes but now the fi light is on all the time, wont stop lighting up. I tried reconnecting the ECM - light is still on. I did replace the FI lamp with a led lamp? But I dont know why that would change things? I can hear the fuel pump come on, the pc3 lights up, it starts to catch, there is gas in the tank. I am a little perplexed. I have to retrace my steps and figure out what I missed. I will check the fuses next but shoot I pretty much left the engine alone. I did however replace the stator cover, maybe there is something there I missed? It is getting fuel I can smell it in the exhuast, maybe a coil wire come off?

Check the pins in the connector(PC3)? Try leaving the PC3 out and see what happens?

Oh - question: Are all the decals under the clear?

Yea, I shot clear over the decals - I let the color dry a few hours before shooting clear but that was not enough appearantly since, there are some bubbles in one of the decals, I know they were not there when I shot it. Live an learn, I am going to shoot more clear again later after I take off all the peices again and wet sand with some fine grit to get it smooth again - I shot all the clear coat it called for the clear coat that was left over solidified

Ok, that's not a horrible thing - just sand extra light when you pass over them. I was thinking you wouldn't have put the decals on after seeing the clear job and knowing you had to sand... :blink: :laugh:

Hit it with some 600 grit wet, that'll knock most of it down quickly without taking a lot off. Folding up a small washcloth and stacking it between your fingers and the paper helps too(helps keep the paper wet, and spreads pressure out/easier on your fingers)

What size is the air cap on your gun? Clear goes on best when you really fog it on, this is best done with a large air cap, since a lot of fluid from a smaller tip will have you chasing runs pretty damn quick. You did a good job so far though, it's only noticeable in the pics if you look close! A for effort! Keep it up! :laugh:

Archived