Ariete Angled Valve Stems

Guest Pete McCrary

Question

Guest Pete McCrary

Pictured are the Ariete angled valve stems I installed on my 6th Gen. Makes all the difference in the world when it comes to checking the air pressure.

Front wheel:

IMG_0522.jpg

Rear Wheel:

IMG_0525.jpg

Search the web for them. They usually run $30 for the set. You will have to remove the front tire entirely to install the front. The rear one can be installed by just breaking the beads on each side of the rim and then only flipping one side of the tire off the rim.

They're available in a multitude of colors. These are black though the camera flash makes them look blue.

• Member Contributer

I hope they do, I ordered two sets on Tuesday from Kurvey Girl. BTW, my wife questioned the transaction that showed "Kurvey Girl", not a typical motorcycle parts company name.

Let me clarify that I ordered two sets of the Ariete stems.

I really like the Ariete's. They are a quality made item. The nut that secures them from the inside is also coated with pneumatic teflon tape to ensure an even better seal.

I just took mine off after about 20K miles; put stock stems back on. I never got them to seal as well as stock ones, I lost air a bit faster than I do with stock ones. I found the tip, for some reason, made it more difficult to get a seal on my good tire pressure gauge making it very annoying to get a reading without letting a few lbs of air out before I got my first reading.

I torqued them to the spec, so, I don't know what was up with the minor air loss. It could have just been my set, oh well.

• Member Contributer
These look like they could work...

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.ph...;products_id=72

Enkei - Bent - Pair.jpg

They might work, but if I'm going to pay more than $2 for a valve stem, it is going to be a badassmutha like the Ariete. That Enkei looks pathetic in comparison.

I think I can see marks from where they bent them with vice grips.

• Member Contributer
I just took mine off after about 20K miles; put stock stems back on. I never got them to seal as well as stock ones, I lost air a bit faster than I do with stock ones. I found the tip, for some reason, made it more difficult to get a seal on my good tire pressure gauge making it very annoying to get a reading without letting a few lbs of air out before I got my first reading.

I torqued them to the spec, so, I don't know what was up with the minor air loss. It could have just been my set, oh well.

Sorry they didn't work out for you. I have a set on my VFR that have been there since around '04 I think. Local shop was selling them for well under the current online prices. Never had a leak from them. I also got a couple more sets recently from KG. They appear to be slightly different, now. I think they older ones have another rubber seal on the inside. My new ones are sealed fine, though. No leaks from any of the new ones.

Are you sure the air escaped from under the bridgeport stem and not the internal valve. The internal valve is a $0.50 part that should be repleced whenever you change the tire. I've had the bridgeport stems for a couple of years now and really like them.

I would definitely go for the Ariete's over the Enkei's. The Ariete's look much better, but more importantly weigh much less than the Enkei's (12g vs. 28g per valve). And keep in mind you'll need counterweights to balance out the Enkei's mass, making your wheels that much heavier in the process.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what a standard valve weighs? :beer:

Thanks for the idea, Pete - this could be my next mod. Now I just have to decide which color to buy! :fing02:

I paid a few bucks for mine from No-Mar.If I dropped 30 bucks on valve stems,I would keep them until the rubber rotted....then I would have a flat.

• Member Contributer
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what a standard valve weighs? +1.gif

Standard rubber valve stem with plastic cap is 8.2 grams,, add the chrome sleeve with chrome cap 11.2 grams

And yes its a sloow day at the shop, I had time :fing02: :beer: :blush: +1.gif

I have a pair in red, a good friend bought them as a gift, so I am not sure on the cost. I do like them. Checking the frt. air PSI is a lot easier.

I was worried about the seal at first. It didnt seem very substantial and I thought it might leak. No worries, no leaks, make sure to tourque the nut to the proper setting.

You may of had the same problem as me. I put on a different set of valve stem caps. I never lost any air pressure. I noticed while checking the air pressure, that when I put the cap back on it barely pushed down on the stem and would release a little air. I guess I was lucky and the rubber seal in the cap allowed no air to leak.

I put the caps that came with the valves on and all is well.

They are worth every penny.

These look like they could work...

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.ph...;products_id=72

gallery_13109_3771_26499.jpg

Enkei - Bent - Pair.jpg

The prolem with thesee is the rubber base, At speed the stem will bend over to the rim possibly letting the pressure go all together.. IIRC this is why Oyama had a scare last year with a tire going down.. Spend the extra for a little piece of mind..

• Member Contributer

I bought the angle chrome valve stems from No-Mar and have had no issues with any air leakage. Granted about 130 is as fast as I've had them. They make adding air to the front a snap though. As solid as they are I don't see any way they could bend enough to let air out. JMO.

After that tire gauge thread, I am seriously considering them. Just hard to swallow $30 for valve stems...

That was my whole point in this post. I couldn't find my camera while the tire pressure gauge post was still active.

I just took mine off after about 20K miles; put stock stems back on. I never got them to seal as well as stock ones, I lost air a bit faster than I do with stock ones.

One of mine was leaking very slightly, but that's only because they were so expensive (had to pay to have them fitted as well) that I was paranoid about the tyre tech overightening and breaking them, so they ended up slightly too loose. Despite that, they've now stopped leaking (and the front one was tightened when the front tire was replaced recently.)

• Member Contributer
Are you sure the air escaped from under the bridgeport stem and not the internal valve. The internal valve is a $0.50 part that should be repleced whenever you change the tire. I've had the bridgeport stems for a couple of years now and really like them.

OMFG, someone on a Web forum used the actual manufacturer's name and not that of the bleedin' US importer!?!? A day I thought I'd never see... :rolleyes:

(The "B" on the side is the clue...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
DSCF1538.jpg

Where can I get a smily Michelin man thingy? wink.gif

marid2apterbilt

You remember correctly. And actually both of my tires went flat while I was riding 70mph on two different occasions. My valve stems, however had a little more rubber on them comparing with these.

• Member Contributer

I have been using my original 04 valve stems with 86,537 miles and they don't leak, and when checking air pressure I have had zero difficulty doing so.....so are these angled valve stems in the "farkles" category??? :dry:

I guess maybe if I tried them, I would know :fing02:

I bought a front rim second hand and it had one of those... went to have a tyre changed and the guy says:

"You should change the valve every time you know?"

No way I was letting him snaflle my angled valve...

I have been using my original 04 valve stems with 86,537 miles and they don't leak, and when checking air pressure I have had zero difficulty doing so.....so are these angled valve stems in the "farkles" category??? :dry:

I guess maybe if I tried them, I would know :fing02:

They serve 2 purposes well, Farkle and ease of function..

Archived