80$ Undertail Teaser

belovian

• Member Contributer

Here are some quick pics of my undertail that I'm setting up. It consists of a CBR 600rr stock can and a custom pipe. Got the Can off Epay for 10$, had the pipe bent for 60$ and made a custom undertray from Aluminum for about 10$ There are some Kinks to work out. First I don't like how he bent the pipe, but just wanted to do a shake down ride to see if it was worth redoing or not. And I have to find a cleaner way to mount the plate (I had already cut it for a previous failed undertail attempt, which also resulted in a melted taillight that I have to fix). Other than that this was pretty straight forward, and cheap. Plus it sounds almost identical to stock, for those who don't want superbike noise. But if I ever come across a cheap cbr aftermarket pipe....who knows. gallery_5508_4585_96023.jpg

DSC_0148.JPG

gallery_5508_4585_161017.jpg

DSC_0149.JPG

Jesse

• Member Contributer

First off...........that is going to kick ass! If you're successful, I may be the first copycat.

Secondly..........how are you going to prevent the exhaust from damaging the tail light?

Lastly.........is the guy who bent that pipe on drugs?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the comments, to respond; first I've had it out for a three hour ride and there was no significant heat at the tail light (granted that we were mostly riding twisties in 45 degree weather and not sitting in traffic) but I let it run idling for a good twenty minutes and it seemed fine. Secondly, I'm a mechanic and have a dedicated exhaust guy that I use for most of my work. He's usually a magician and can make anything. He just really dropped the ball on this one. He offerd to rework it once I got on and showed him the clearance issues, instead I opted to take it as is and see if everything works before redoping a pipe on something I wasn't sure would even work. It will be corrected however.

Jesse

• Member Contributer

That looks pretty damn good. No rear suspension clearance issues? I wonder if carbon fiber cans run cooler than alloys. I know they cool off a lot quicker.

• Member Contributer

Great idea Jesse :biggrin: ; however, cutting the license plate like that is an instant ticket/reason to pull over around here. I bought a cbr fender assembly for a mod on another bike and can tell you they, like the muffler, are a dime a dozen on fleabay so you might want to consider something like that.

Again from experience, most auto muffler shops don't have the mandrels for tight bends. So they make smaller bends along several sections to make a tighter overall bend.

• Member Contributer

10 points for the idea!

7 for the execution... so far. I think when you get the plate, bending and taillight melting worked out it is going to start a trend around here.

Nice work!

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, Yes the pipe is the BIG issue right now. The plate is just a question of making a bracket, and the melting actually came from a D&D carbon pipe I had fitted. On top of the melted light it actually rubbed slightly on large dips. This has miles of clearance in comparison and you can't beat the price. I was ordering tires for my GF's bike (FZR with Shitty rear in the backround). And the guy at the shop says nice pipe, I have one or two in the basement lying around.... So look around you may find one even cheaper than 10$??

Jesse

Just thinking about mounting the plate.....Since we all have to have them.....where you have it looks ok.....but I think you might be able to make a first class plate mount to make the plate look like it belongs there.....instead of making it look like it's something you "have" to mount.........Monk

I totally dig this mod, and realize it is a "work in progress". Actually helps to see the "in progress" part because if others want to do it they can see the effort it will take.

Wish I had an exhaust guy.

• Member Contributer

Like I said this was just quickly hobbled together to test everything out. I didn't want to spend an hour making a nice aluminum bracket to then ride it and realize my ass was on fire or worse yet the bike. It's really only to show that it can be done and it works rahter well.

Jesse

Your lucky with the 5 gen having the axle at the lower point for clearence. I have tried (not given up yet) a mock up on my 4 gen but need to go to a 45 rear tooth sprocket, mod the brake caliper mount bolt and rotate the axle to the lower position for more room. Good to see someone further along as I like the looks of this system.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey slo, I think you could lose the heat shield, and tuck the can up a little higher. Also you "massage" the underside of the muffler to gain a little clearance. Those two things might be enough?

Jesse

P.S.The pics of yours, were the inspiratin for my attempt. So Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

Scott, Seems to me I measured a 1000 can and it was too mide to fit between the rear section. The 600 was just the right size. I went to my local dealer with a tape measure but can't exactly remember now...??

Jesse

• Member Contributer
Your lucky with the 5 gen having the axle at the lower point for clearence. I have tried (not given up yet) a mock up on my 4 gen but need to go to a 45 rear tooth sprocket, mod the brake caliper mount bolt and rotate the axle to the lower position for more room. Good to see someone further along as I like the looks of this system.

Just suck it up and do it right. smile.gif :biggrin:

KG9K0173.jpg

I think the undertail is sexy, but the 6th gen has such an odd shaped taillight it would be hard to fit it. I am going to keep my eyes out....this could be a nice changeover.

Your bike looks good, I always liked that colour on the 5th gen.

Cant say I like the wrapping on the up-pipe though... but its not mine so no worries.

I've often though of having a set-up for the exhaust like yours, so will follow this thread :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Hugger won't really "hug" after you do that...

(Anyone remember *my* underseat project? I hardly do. I used a CBR600RR Laser slip-on (twin cans). Never got the link pipe made. Bike stuck in garage-limbo. Oh, the ignominy... :biggrin: )

Ciao,

(Anyone remember *my* underseat project? I hardly do. I used a CBR600RR Laser slip-on (twin cans). Never got the link pipe made. Bike stuck in garage-limbo. Oh, the ignominy... :idea3: )

Ciao,

I DO! I DO! I DO! :biggrin:

All aboard the FAILBOAT! :fing02:

(Anyone remember *my* underseat project?

All aboard the FAILBOAT! :fing02:

This is your captain speaking... :blush:

Nice set-up Belovian!

On topic here:

If I were doung this mod, and re-using an OEM Honda muffler, I'd seriously think about the 1000RR can, if possible.

Now I don't know anything at this point regarding relative dimensions between the 1000rr and 600rr stock cans, but my reasoning is thus:

Honda designed the 600rr muffler to effectively quiet (stifle?) a 600cc engine. Extremely simple math 782-599=183cc's larger displacement.

You are essentially running a bigger motor into a smaller can, with the possibility of greater restriction, whereas the 1000rr can quite certainly would not restrict the exhaust flow of your engine, 999-782=217cc's less displacement.

Plus, you get the cool dual outlets Vs only one. :fing02:

Now someone smarter than I will have to figure out how much more air/fuel/exhaust the 600rr puts through at 15,000 RPM as compared to the VFR's 11,500 RPM (that's 30% faster RPM, so it ought to make a difference, no?

Archived