Helmet Liners?

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Anybody wear any of the helmet liners out there? Thinking of the Slicks, or HJC has a coolmax stretchy type. Maybe one of those Buffs?

I love my Shoei X-11, but it gives me horrible corn rows that don't go away! The fit is so snug that I hesitate to try to fit a bandana under there to help out. I've started wearing my old Z-II that is a size too big with a bandana for commuting to work and errands on the PC800.

I used to wear a bandana under my XXL RF800. When I switched to the Z-II, it was too tight. The Arai Vector (XL) I wear now seems too tight as well, but I haven't tried it. If I let my hair grow a little longer than a buzz cut, it gets the corn rows too. Would be nice to find something thin that works.

No.

I bought and tried to wear one of those cold weather balclavas called IIRC, "turtleskins", sold by Cycle Gear and it just made my helmet way too tight for comfort and literally a pain to take on and off (I feel like I'll tear off my ears doing so!). It's amazing how just a little bit can bump up your head sizing to the next size, and I can't figure out how others can wear anything under their helmet without getting one that's one size too big, but maybe it's just me and my big head, plus my preference for a snug fit that's keeping me from doing so??

It worked so bad that I don't even know what ever happened to the thing.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I have one that I recently purchased that is made from that stretchy Coolmax material. The material is very thin and does not affect helmet fit at all. I would recommend that you purchase one but everyone thinks you look much more handsome with corn rows :fing02:

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer
No.

I bought and tried to wear one of those cold weather baclavas called IIRC, "turtleskins", sold by Cycle Gear and it just made my helmet way too tight for comfort and literally a pain to take on and off (I feel like I'll tear off my ears doing so!). It's amazing how just a little bit can bump up your head sizing to the next size, and I can't figure out how others can wear anything under their helmet without getting one that's one size too big, but maybe it's just me and my big head, plus my preference for a snug fit that's keeping me from doing so??

Beck

95 VFR

I actually bought one of these at a ski shop that was made to be worn under a helmet, I assume for high speed downhill skiers. The top part is very thin and fits well under a helmet. They are awesome for cold weather riding, keeps my neck and chin from freezing.

• Member Contributer

In warm/hot weather I wear a coolmax baclava (HJC I think) and it is awesome! I've done 3000 mile trips and it keeps my head cool down here in Florida.

I recently purchased a Seirus thermax baclava from a local ski store (yeah they have them here) for $15 and it keeps my head and neck warm in 50' and 40' mornings here. My car recently died so I'm a full time motorcyclist now and needed it in the morning when those "cold fronts" hit.

I purchased an under armor skull cap, but I don't like the underwear-type band on it. It is very tight. I do want to try thier

full face baclava, but the stores down here don't stock them due to the lack of snow smile.gif

I have short hair (clipper 5 on top down to 2 on sides) and it messes up your hair a little, but I got them to keep the sweat off my face, thier cooling effect in the summer and warming effect in winter. I hate when I forget it at home.

No.

I bought and tried to wear one of those cold weather baclavas called IIRC, "turtleskins", sold by Cycle Gear and it just made my helmet way too tight for comfort and literally a pain to take on and off (I feel like I'll tear off my ears doing so!). It's amazing how just a little bit can bump up your head sizing to the next size, and I can't figure out how others can wear anything under their helmet without getting one that's one size too big, but maybe it's just me and my big head, plus my preference for a snug fit that's keeping me from doing so??

Beck

95 VFR

I actually bought one of these at a ski shop that was made to be worn under a helmet, I assume for high speed downhill skiers. The top part is very thin and fits well under a helmet. They are awesome for cold weather riding, keeps my neck and chin from freezing.

+1 I bought the turtle creek, and it does work to keep the wind out of the helmetand you neck warm..it isnt bad once you have the helmit on and do a little adjustment..but what bothers me about it is I cant strap the helmet like Id like and it affects my corner of the eye vison....but worth the $ if you want to keep the noddle warm IMO....but Like Beck stated it will tear ear off when removing!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

If you want some good gear for under leathers or helmet try these guys!

performanceundergear.com

Stuff really works and lasts way better than anything else :fing02:

"Corn rows", LOL!

My dad has tried all those things. I didn't find "Buffs" that useful personally.

In warm weather my dad and I both wear "Slicks" which are basically a piece of silk (I think) on the inside and polyester (or something similar) on the outside, form fitted to cover the main part of your dome. I sweat a whole lot when it's hot, and they do a good job of wicking away moisture and keeping a lot of the funk from getting soaked up in your helmet. And incidintally, if you're wearing earbuds it makes it easier to put on and take off your helmet when you wear something like that.

When it's cold I wear a balaclava.

I don't know if either of those things will help with helmet hair though. On the contrary, when we take our helmets and slicks off, our hair is pretty much smashed up against our scalps like a mini hair-helmet. ha!

Maybe you should get one of those plastic shower cap deals. tongue.gif

• Member Contributer
We should ask Baileyrock... I don't know how he does it, but it seems no matter how long he wears his lid, he always pops out of it lookin like Dapper Dan... :pissed:

I know it! Drives me friggan nuts! :dry:

I thought maybe asking another man about hair care products was crossing a line... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

In warm weather, I use a head cap that I picked up at REI: Seirus Thermax Skull Liner.

In the cold weather I have a HJC balaclava I use.

Both work great in keeping the helmet liner clean and manageable hair for the most part.

I use an Underarmor Balaclava...bought it in the Football Helmet section. It cuts the wind pretty well, and along with the neck piece of a turtleneck t-shirt it keeps me warm enough (combined with my Quiet Rider).

Thin enough to not cause any fitment issues that I can tell, although I can feel the difference.

I use a standard full Balaclava when it's cold and a cap type one of the same material in warmer weather and it is this 1/2 cap that provides any chance of a Dapper Dam result. :dry: Everything else leaves a complete hair mess! :huh:

I have the Arai Vector and the Shoei X-11. Tried wearing a balaclava, little beanie thing, and a liner. All made both lids too tight (they fit perfectly otherwise.) Now I just carry a hat or put my head under some water when I get whever I am headed. Pretty low-tech, but it works for me +1.gif

• Member Contributer

I wear THIS in black under my X-11, it makes the helmet easier to put on and with regular washing keeps the funk down. During the summer here the material really stays dry. Not too tight and the band is only for absorption.

• Member Contributer

A red welders cap, no hair (not much anyway) to worry about, cotton, washes out easy,dries quick.

Scared the young girls at work, looks like something a 'biker' would wear. Hold on there

I do ride a 'bike'.

• Member Contributer

OIL thread been done to death?

New topic for winter??

I would proudly like to introduce " The HAIR Thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!" +1.gif

When is winter over?

Bren

• 1 month later...
Anybody wear any of the helmet liners out there? Thinking of the Slicks, or HJC has a coolmax stretchy type. Maybe one of those Buffs?

Take a buff,and cut it in half. Now you have two skull caps without all the excess stuff on top,and no seams around the edge (I find that the seam alone is enough to be a problem).....Monk

• Member Contributer

I have tried two balaclavas and I get pressure points when wearing my helmet. Now I stick too an EDZ multi-tube (neck and chin) for when its cold. I have a shaved head, but still end up with a sorta mohawk after extended time in my helmet. I don't mind that so much, but when you get those little bugs crawling on and in your ears its drives me insane.

• Member Contributer

What the hell is wrong with CORN ROWS?? You guys should be wearing skirts!

• Member Contributer

I've used a Silky for years. Keeps the smell out of your helmet. Here in Tucson, AZ it's been known to get a little warm during the summer time. I have a shaved head, so I sweat a lot. It's nice to just throw the Silky in the wash and it's good as new. :fing02:

Archived