Four Corners Of Us (pic Intensive)

• Member Contributer

IMG_0143.jpg

This trip report is two months overdue, and now that areas I rode in are now in snow, I figured I should finally get around to posting my trip report. I started on Aug 5 and got done aug 24.

Summary: Trip to the four geographical corners of the continental US.

Miles: 8692 miles

Days: 19

Days of Rain: 12

Favorite Place: Southwest

Least Favorite Place: Florida

Problems with the VFR : Nothing besides a punctured tire and flammable grips.

Government issued certificates for outstanding performance: None

Different types of stonehenges: 2

Coldest temperature rode in: 37

Hottest temperature rode in: 104

Important lessons learned: 1) Bike shorts and gold bond are your friend. 2) Buying a house on the road is difficult. 3) Pack as little as possible.

Picture1.png

Im not a big fan of long draw out ride reports. If I covered every road I was on or experience, I might as well write a book.

Left from Saratoga Springs, NY where I have lived for the last two years. I am going through a change of careers, moving to TN, and getting a separation from my wife. It was a perfect time to take a trip like this. The plan is to do this trip, ending in Washington, where I will visit my parents for a few days and close on my house Im buying in TN. I originally planned to ride from WA to TN, but due to recent events, my folks were holding my truck and two dogs, so I loaded the Viffer on a trailer and dogs in the cab and took the truck.

IMG_0053-1.jpg

Me leaving my old home.

Took my time in New England, as I was hoping that by the time I got to Washington that my dad would be back from a business trip, so that he could finish my ride with me. It ended up not working well with timing but I was able to finish with my brother.

IMG_0037-1.jpg

Ticondaroga Ferry

I spent some time in Acadia National Park in Maine.

IMG_0045.jpg

Campground

IMG_8049.jpg

On top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP

IMG_8056.jpg

Sunrise in Acadia

Started my northern trek. Took Hwy11 in Maine. Fun, no one around, decent speed, but the road in many areas was in poor shape. This road has experienced too many new england winters.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

A Lobster Roll, from a roadside food shop in Patten, Maine.

IMG_0055.jpg

Rain finally cleared.

IMG_0058.jpg

The VFR at the four corners park in Madawaska, ME.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

This is along US 1 in Maine, staring in Presque Isle, ME. It is a complete scale model of the solar system. The sun is located in the science museum, and the first few planets are in the town. It is completely to scale, including not only planet size but distance. One mile along US 1 is equal to 1 astronomical unit (or distance from sun to earth). Pluto is located in the hallway of the visitor center at the intersection of US 1 and I-95.

So I stayed in a motel in Beddeport, ME on my way south. In the morning, I woke up and started to get everything ready on the bike. When I went out to the bike, I saw this:

IMG_0063.jpg

Some asshat tried to burn my bike down! Looks like they lit the left handlebar grip on fire, and once it was self-sustaining took off and melted half of the turn signal / headlight switch. The molten rubber from the grip dripped down and melted a hole in the fairing.

I got a police report filled, and it took me two hours to scrape and chip melted plastic and rubber so I could get my turn signals to work. Anyway, I head out two and a half hours later than I planned to PA.

IMG_0065.jpg

Thats better.

IMG_0068.jpg

The homeland!

The oldest brewery in America, the Yuengling brewery. Makers of the best cheap beer in the US.

You will notice that picutres on the east coast are few and far between. This is pretty much due to the fact that:

It rained a lot

There is not much neat things to see on the east coast without taking too much time out of the day.

I was getting frustrated with the east coast and just wanted to be heading west.

Anyway, back to the pics.

IMG_0071.jpg

Skyline drive. As you can see, there was rain.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Foamhenge! I dont know what this is about. Its just on the side of the road. Wierd. Anyway, its near Glasgow, VA.

IMG_0077.jpg

US 501 outside of Glasgow, VA before I went on the BRP. I drove through that fog a few minutes before the picture.

IMG_0079.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway

IMG_0080.jpg

From VA, drove down through SC, GA, and then to Florida. Mostly slabbing the whole way, so again, nothing interesting. Therefore, no pictures.

IMG_0091.jpg

Heading out on US 1 to Key west

IMG_0093.jpg

This guy has his own tropical island, and his own bridge!

IMG_0097.jpg

Heres the VFR with the southermost point located in the distance.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_8065-1.jpg

Camped in Blue Springs State Park, near Clio, AL.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

I had the whole campground to myself. With the exception of this little guy:

IMG_0116.jpg

I named him Al, short for Alabama. He came around about 30 minutes before I retired for the night. He walked over to my campsite, circled me once, then came in and was non-stop purring and following me around. I made a deal with him that if he was at my campsite when I woke up, that Id find a way to take him home. When I woke up in the morning, he wasnt there, but about 10 minutes later he showed up. Sorry bud, that wasnt the deal. I felt bad anyway, so I shared my blueberry Nutri-Grain bar with him.

Westward I go.

IMG_0127.jpg

Oklahoma, right before it started to rain.

IMG_0130.jpg

Dont mess with Texas grills.

IMG_0131.jpg

Western part of the Texas panhandle in the morning.

IMG_0137.jpg

In Roswell, NM. Even the Wal-mart gets into the whole Alien thing.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

There was no one on this road (Hwy 13 in NM) so I just parked the bike in the middle of the road and got off and took pictures. I was suprised on how green (and cold) New Mexico was. Up until 11 oclock, I was wearing a sweater underneath my Aerostitch and my heavy winter gloves.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

White sands, New Mexico

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

Self Portrait, heading into AZ from NM

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

This is along US 191 north of Clifton, AZ. Its a large mining community here.

IMG_0185.jpg

Switchbacks. Lots of Switchbacks.

IMG_0186.jpg

1624.jpg

US 191 is crazy. Lots of tight turns. Fun, and definately worth all that freeway riding that Ive been doing the last several days.

1797.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Rain even found me in the desert.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

Got a little warm once out of the mountains. But I was fine in my aerostitch roadcrafter.

IMG_0217.jpg

Finally in California.

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

VFR by the San Ysidro post office.

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

I pretty much rode up US-395 up into Washington. Pretty direct with less traffic and more scenery.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

My last day on the road, starting from John Day, Oregon to my parents place near Seattle, WA was the most challenging. First I had a punctured tire. Good thing I packed a repair kit and 12v compressor. Within the first hour, I saw 37 degree temperatures, 3 deer , and 1 coyote jumping out.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Another Stonehenge, located in Maryhill, WA. This is supposed to be some type of war memorial.

IMG_0337.jpg

Yakima Canyon Road.

Finally arrived at my parents place in western Washington

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072-1.jpg

I didnt shave for all the trip. Near the end, the collar on the stich was really irritating the half beard that I grew.

I spent the weekend with my parents, then set off to finish the ride with my brother.

Rode up to Blaine, WA with my brother on his SV650

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

In about 4 months he is going to become a father, and hes basically going to be hanging up his riding gear for a while and probably sell his bike. This was one of his last rides for a long time. Glad I could finish my trip with him.

Well, that wrapped up a great ride. I wish I could this more often. Unfortunately I like my new job.....

Way to go CrazyT :laugh:

We should all be so lucky, well OK it's more than luck. It also takes determination, and planning and a good bit of gumption. I hope to do something as grand one day.

DDO-VFR

• Member Contributer
Way to go CrazyT :laugh:

We should all be so lucky, well OK it's more than luck. It also takes determination, and planning and a good bit of gumption. I hope to do something as grand one day.

DDO-VFR

Thanks. The best preparation was building my own tool kit (and did all maintenance for a season with the tool kit, making sure I had everything to do 95% of anything), and of course, riding. I did at least a 350 mile day every weekend ever since the snow melted in New England up until I put on the Pilot Road2s right before I started the ride.

Oh and a Sargent seat helps a LOT!

• Member Contributer

That's incredible! Long rides can help you get your mind straight or they make you miss everyone to the point of wanting to turn around. Hopefully yours was the former. Sorry to hear you've come to a such a life shift but you've managed to do something most only dream about. Great start to a new start! Great pics. Great roads. Good luck with your new direction. I enjoyed the post. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Epic!!!

What an amazing road trip. I don't know how people ride by themselves for such a long period of time... but you did. Congrats. A trip of a lifetime for sure. You certainly put meaning to "where one door closes another one opens"

I live up in Vancouver, BC and I would ride with you anytime.

Great start to a new start! Great pics. Great roads. Good luck with your new direction. I enjoyed the post. Thanks.

Amen to that!

Thanks for stirring my memories CrazyT, you make me want to do another long trip! Too bad about the rain, but it happens. You can do some of your best thinking in the rain, and you had the right gear, so I'm sure you enjoyed it anyway.

• Member Contributer

You averaged 457 miles per day. Not bad! I recently did about 600 (in one day) and almost dropped dead at the end of it (it was the longest I'd ever done; luckily, no rain.) At times it got as low as 30 degrees, though.

Over the past three months I rode (from Illinois) to Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Not anywhere near as many as you, but I did what I could. I've also ridden (from Pennsylvania) to Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia, and Ohio. I've ridden in Texas, too.

So long as we're on the subject, can somebody tell me where to find those color-coded maps like what Seb's got in his signature above?

From the pics it looks like it has been a great trip. Even though I prefer twisty roads I would like to experience how it is to ride a road like this just for once. Big skies and no other traffic to be seen for miles. It may be the lens but it looks like you can even see the curvature of the earth.

IMG_0143.jpg

You sir, are my personal hero.

I have a small favor to ask. I'm yet to ride more than about 100 miles in a day, but I have grand plans to ride out to Seattle from NJ (my dad also lives in Seattle), and I would be very interested in seeing a complete list of what you packed for the ride, what mods you made to the bike specifically for the ride, and what else you did to prep for the trip.

Epic trip!! Man I'd love to have some larger photos of some of them shots.

Anyway, I'm outraged about the lowlife who tried to kill your viffer, thank god you didn't wake up to something worse though hey.

Enjoyed the trip!

Steve

• Member Contributer

I cannot believe somebody tried to set your bike on fire! That is crazy. Otherwise, it looked to be a fantastic trip. One of these days I'll do a long, epic ride like that...just gotta get the kids grown up a little bit.

• Member Contributer
You averaged 457 miles per day. Not bad! I recently did about 600 (in one day) and almost dropped dead at the end of it (it was the longest I'd ever done; luckily, no rain.) At times it got as low as 30 degrees, though.

Over the past three months I rode (from Illinois) to Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Not anywhere near as many as you, but I did what I could. I've also ridden (from Pennsylvania) to Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia, and Ohio. I've ridden in Texas, too.

So long as we're on the subject, can somebody tell me where to find those color-coded maps like what Seb's got in his signature above?

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

That'll do ya ! !

:unsure:

I told my wife I wanted to to nearly the same thing, and she said OK, but don't come back! Women, can't live with them, can't drag them behind the motorcycle.

Just kidding. I envy you sir. I can only dream. Thanks for the trip.

Archived