Four Corners Of Us (pic Intensive)

• Member Contributer
From the pics it looks like it has been a great trip. Even though I prefer twisty roads I would like to experience how it is to ride a road like this just for once. Big skies and no other traffic to be seen for miles. It may be the lens but it looks like you can even see the curvature of the earth.

There's something special about riding through the desert on a cool morning. Twisties are no doubt great, but getting on a long stretch of road all by yourself on a motorcycle has some type of magic to it. Just don't do it for all day long, it can get tedious.

I have a small favor to ask. I'm yet to ride more than about 100 miles in a day, but I have grand plans to ride out to Seattle from NJ (my dad also lives in Seattle), and I would be very interested in seeing a complete list of what you packed for the ride, what mods you made to the bike specifically for the ride, and what else you did to prep for the trip.

I should have taken pictures of my tool kit. It has since been disassembled and scattered about my house for different projects. I bought a tool roll from the aerostich company that was more than enough for everything. In it I packed the wrenches from the stock tool kit, along with a small ratchet and screwdriver that uses interchangable bits for phillips, standard, a hex. Also got a bit fit for the small sockets, and carried a 10 and 12mm socket. Tire patch kit is a must, and some what to put air in the tires. I got a small 12v air compressor from wal-mart. I muti-tool Leatherman, small multimeter, electical tape, some crimp terminals, extra wire, small tube of blue threadlocker, rubber cement (larger tube than what came with the tire repair kit), AA flashlight, and a small can of wd-40 for the chain. I used the tool kit for all my maintenance as a second check to make sure I had everything. I could do just about anything other than change the chain or adjust the valves.

For camping, I got a 1-2 person tent and a 40 degree down sleeping bag. Took the poles out of the bag for the tent and stuffed the tent, sleeping bag, and a compressable pillow into one small stuff sack that would fit on half of the passenger seat. Poles went in a saddle bag. I just stopped by the local convience store for food. Didn't bring anything for campfires, as it would just make everything stink. Once the sun went down I hit the rack, and got up just before the sun came up. No need for a fire.

Clothes: I brought a couple days worth of cloths. I got socks, undies, and shirts that were made out of synthetic stuff that was good a wicking moisture. This helped a ton in the heat. Padded bicycle shorts are great. You want to do anything you can to minimize moisture build up around "yer boys" and your seat. If not, it becomes a bateria factory and you will develope heat rash (especially in hot/humid areas, such as FL).

Other stuff: I brough a laptop along. This allowed me to find wi-fi places and check the weather, email friends/family, and communicate with my real estate agent and lender when buying my house. Not a necessity, but neat. It also let me plan the next day using mapping software (I also had a Garmin Zumo which was fantastic). I'm kinda into photography and brought my DSLR camera along, along with a point-n-shoot I kept in the tank bag. I used to P&S all the time. The DSLR was too cumbersome to get off the bike, get into the saddle bag, remove the camera, use it, restuff everything, get back on. As you can see from my pics, most of the picture I took I was still on the road, and took with my left hand. It took up precious room.

Are there pics. for the other 2 corners? Landmarks?

Not really. I used this organized "ride" as a model for my trip http://www.usa4corners.org/ To complete it, you had to take pictures of a landmark or the post office and send a letter from the post office in that corner. Hence, I have pictures of post offices in San-Ysidro and Blaine, WA. I was going to go to the peace arch at the US/canada border, but it'd be hard to get the bike in that picture.

• Member Contributer

That was definitely a cool ride you did there, CrazyT. I'll try not to wow you too much with the entire gallery from my most recent long distance trip:

Minnesota.jpg

Great Job! Right now I am green with envy. Maybe in a couple of years as my son gets a bit older I might be able to do something similar. Good luck in TN, you may really like it - I do.

Great write-up and pictures. I'm hoping to do a cross-country trip next year myself from Virginia to the Rockies. The information I've learned from your post and others in the past will certainly help in preparing for my journey.

• Member Contributer
What mapping software did you use? I was looking for something for OS X and resorted to Google Maps instead.

Since I have a Garmin Zumo, I just used Garmin Roadtrip (then the beta version Bobcat). I think it's still free on the Garmin website, however it may take some navigating. That way I could program a route and upload it to the GPS, or simply find somewhere 500 miles in the area that I'm heading and say "that's the goal". Also it helped on Fri-Saturdays where finding a campground or cheap motel late in the day may be difficult. I could find a general area that I wanted to go, search for a motel or campground, call them up and make a reservation that morning.

I alway tried to ride without a "goal" for the day, but those summer weekends can be a pain.

A most excellent adventure! Good for you. A man has to get some space sometime. (Be sure to read GHOST RIDER by Neil Peart if you haven't already...a great book about his X-country trip to clear his head...)

Party on!

• Member Contributer

I just got back from a 3000+ miler in the middle of the country and felt thankful I could shake loose for the ten days I was gone. Your trip puts mine to shame. My longest day was 650 miles and shortest was (embarrassingly) 150, however we did some awesome hikes on the short day. We did manage to stay on two lane country roads for all but the first 175 miles of the trip. I'll have to post up on my Colorado to Lake Michigan and back trip soon. My four corners trip will have to wait until my kids are a bit more self sufficient.

Great post and thanks for the photos! A story with out pics is worthless.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing ................hope everything works out with all the "Changes". Sometimes that lonely road stuff is indeed tonic for the soul!

This was an epic ride for a VFR! What was your split between camping and other?

If I ever do this many miles, I will probably take my Wing though.

Was AZ 191 your favorite road?

• Member Contributer
What mapping software did you use? I was looking for something for OS X and resorted to Google Maps instead.

Since I have a Garmin Zumo, I just used Garmin Roadtrip (then the beta version Bobcat). I think it's still free on the Garmin website, however it may take some navigating. That way I could program a route and upload it to the GPS, or simply find somewhere 500 miles in the area that I'm heading and say "that's the goal". Also it helped on Fri-Saturdays where finding a campground or cheap motel late in the day may be difficult. I could find a general area that I wanted to go, search for a motel or campground, call them up and make a reservation that morning.

I alway tried to ride without a "goal" for the day, but those summer weekends can be a pain.

CrazyT,

I join the others in taking my hat off to you. It gives me the hankering to do something of the same one day. I guess I had better hurry up. I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the inspiration. BTW. What caused the change of Job??

Wrestler

• Member Contributer
CrazyT,

I join the others in taking my hat off to you. It gives me the hankering to do something of the same one day. I guess I had better hurry up. I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the inspiration. BTW. What caused the change of Job??

Wrestler

Thanks. My change of job was for several simple reasons. For one, I was in the Navy as a submariner. I was in a crappy shore duty, looking to go back to a sea command. My last sea duty, I worked 60-100 hours while in port. I've worked the last five x-mas'es, none of which I was out to sea in. Being slated to return to a sub as the Engineer, it was guaranteed to be at least 2X as worse. That was a minor point. Being told to "keep a seabag packed, you may be going to Iraq" got really old. I'll leave out details as I don't want to go political on this topic, along with many other reasons why I wanted to get out. Things have changed a lot in the nuclear navy. Anyway, I now work for a great company in the recession proof industry of electrical power generation. I wear normal clothes, people call me Tim, and, holy crap, people are SMILING?! My hat goes off to all the other veterans, retirees, current active duty, families, and of course, those in foreign countries dealing with no-so friendly people. I don't know how you guys do it.....

• Member Contributer

Nice report, CrazyT. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in Tennesee and with everything else.

Some amazing photos there.... I especially like Acadia N.P.

I just saw your name on the 4 corners site http://www.usa4corners.org/2008finishers.html

I can't wait to do the 4 corners ride someday

IMG_0274.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived