A Side Mounted Swingarm License Plate Bracket

Penetrator

Question

Does anyone know of a a company that has a side mounted swingarm license plate bracket?

I think this would be a nice modification for the VFR. I know there is a Fender Eliminator created for the VFR, but I have never seen a side mounted bracket for any single sided swingarm bike.

17 answers to this question

well part of my project is to add one of those to my thurn aluminum chain gaurd, and then have the whole thing powder coated...ill post pics of that once the thurn piece gets here

• Member Contributer
Would it look any less silly on a VFR than it does on a Hardly?

Ciao,

i put thiese things on bikes every day.... i think they look SO stupid...

but the boss just loves to sell them.

Does anyone know of a a company that has a side mounted swingarm license plate bracket?

I think this would be a nice modification for the VFR. I know there is a Fender Eliminator created for the VFR, but I have never seen a side mounted bracket for any single sided swingarm bike.

I noticed that a lot of these side plate mounts stand the tag 90 degrees on it's side. Do the LEOs have an issue with having to tilt their heads to read your plate?? I think it's an invitation for them to stop you on the road.

Beck

95 VFR

If you live where photo radar is a factor, (Like here where the damn things are EVERYWHERE) they can make it impossible for the camera to see your plate. Not so goofy here.

I noticed that a lot of these side plate mounts stand the tag 90 degrees on it's side. Do the LEOs have an issue with having to tilt their heads to read your plate?? I think it's an invitation for them to stop you on the road.

Beck

95 VFR

In Indiana, according to state law, it is illegal to have your plate at any angle other than horizontal. here is what it states....see sec b

Sun, 08/19/2007 - 14:58 — Jordan IC 9-18-2-26 License plates;

IC 9-18-2-26

License plates; display

Sec. 26. (a) License plates shall be displayed as follows:

( 1 ) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

( 2 ) For a tractor or dump truck, upon the front of the vehicle.

( 3 ) For every other vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

( b ) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

( 1 ) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

( 2 ) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;

( 3 ) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

( 4 ) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

( 5 ) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or

other opaque objects.

© The bureau may adopt rules the bureau considers advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of license plates on vehicles consistent with this chapter.

As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.22; P.L.42-2007, SEC.18.

And here is what my cop friend had to say when i asked him about these or some fender elims like the ones that are way down on the wheel well, almost unseeable.

The infraction legal system (tickets) works solely on officer discretion. What 1 officer may do doesn't necessary mean that is what the next will do. Personally, I would use your license plate as a reason to pull you over if I needed one. Say you were driving way too fast, however I wasn't able to get you on radar before you slowed it back down.... A ticket for improper display in Howard County would run you about $150. Not to mention you could have your bike towed. I cannot imagine anyone doing this, however those are the possibilities. Only when someone is a real jerk-off do things like that happen.

• Member Contributer
In Indiana, according to state law, it is illegal to have your plate at any angle other than horizontal. here is what it states....see sec b

IC 9-18-2-26

License plates; display

( 1 ) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

( b ) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

( 2 ) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;

( 4 ) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

other opaque objects.

© The bureau may adopt rules the bureau considers advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of license plates on vehicles consistent with this chapter.

As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.22; P.L.42-2007, SEC.18.

Horizontal, as in flat? Clearly visible, like from a helicopter? :goofy:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

i always tell my everyone you put the plate and a plate FRAME under the tail light.. rub the frame on a spinning tire ant the bottom... mount with sheet metal and a bit of denim cloth...bent inward and upward until you can hardly see the thing.

now cameras cant get your plate.. if a cop does happen to pull you over..you have a frame on your plate (paid money to show it off :thumbsup: ) you tell the cop, it just may have hit hit the rear tire during a bump ( wow! black mark on frame!!)

if you live in a crazy area and get pulled over 5 times a day... the sheet metal will crack..and rip.. but the denim will leave your tag hanging.

• Member Contributer
And here is what my cop friend had to say when i asked him about these or some fender elims like the ones that are way down on the wheel well, almost unseeable.

The infraction legal system (tickets) works solely on officer discretion. What 1 officer may do doesn't necessary mean that is what the next will do. Personally, I would use your license plate as a reason to pull you over if I needed one. Say you were driving way too fast, however I wasn't able to get you on radar before you slowed it back down.... A ticket for improper display in Howard County would run you about $150. Not to mention you could have your bike towed. I cannot imagine anyone doing this, however those are the possibilities. Only when someone is a real jerk-off do things like that happen.

I had a cop in FL give me a ticket for improper display of tag, even though it was mounted on the stock bracket in almost the stock location at the time. He said tags had to be readable from 100 yards away. I told him if he could read a FL MC tag from 100 yards away without binoculars I would give him $100.

It was quota time of the month and he was pulling over every car that passed him on the small street that his station was on. I passed him just as he was finished writing someone a ticket, so he pulled me over. As soon as I left, he pulled over the next car that passed him. When I came back from the store about 30 minutes later, he had someone else pulled over about 50 yards down the road from where I was. He had his back to me (facing the driver's window) when I passed so I gave him a nice 12,000RPM rev that made him jump.

He didn’t show up for court, so while the ticket was thrown out and I didn’t have to pay, I was very disappointed he wasn’t there to get a scolding from the judge.

Beck

95 VFR

IC 9-18-2-26

License plates; display

other opaque objects.

I belive TN has a similar law, They were pulling over bikes on the gap on the same basis.

Nc also has a similar law but as long as they can read it they dont bother you. Unless your acting a fool of course..

I lowered my bike over the winter using a longer bone. I bought the bike used and the plate bracket was under the seat between the tailpipes. I had about 2" clearance between the plate and tire, so I thought I was good to go. I was testing the new height difference and ran over some train tracks and bottomed out. The tire caught the plate and ripped it out, bracket and all, and lodged between the front of the rear tire and swingarm. I had slowed down before the tracks and was able to pull over and stop almost immediately after. I was a little upset at first, then I was thankful that it happened over the tracks and not on the highway. For the time being, I have the plate on a side mount, mounted with a bolt through the hole on the passenger peg. No cops have bothered me yet, but I am only a moderate cruising rider anyways. But it does look funny from the rear view. I would post a pix, but I don't know how too.

Personally I try not to give the cops any additional reasons to pull me over, the way I ride is good enough to get me into plenty of trouble.

Beck

95 VFR

The notice of infraction would be "impropper dispay of liscense tag"

I am WAAAAY to busy to write that one.

• Member Contributer

Check eBay. I've been looking at them for my cafe bike.

Archived