Winterization

RLoibl

Morning all, its been a long time since i put my 2001 vfr800 to sleep over the winter.  I have a 2015 now, and am getting ready to store it over the snowy months. Is it recommended to put oil down the cylinder for storage?

Ron

• Member Contributer

IMO, if it's just for 2-3 Mths in a garage I wouldn't bother. You might want to think about the fuel though if you are using stuff with 10% ethanol. In that case I'd be inclined to make sure it's completely full. You could always turn the engine over to normal operating temp every couple of weeks or so ( if that's convenient) and then change the oil in Spring. A battery maintainer/ optimiser would definitely be worth hooking up. Finally get the wheels off the ground if you have the stands.

I'm sure others more experienced will chip in.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

The biggest thing to be concerned with is ethanol fuel. It doesn't take long for it to draw water. If you have it I would drain it out of the tank and carbs and leave the cap off the tank to dry. I always use no ethanol fuel unless I'm on a trip and can't find any. In that case I figure it won't do any harm as it's going right through the tank. It's sitting around with ethanol in the fuel that does the harm.

Keep the battery topped off and I wouldn't start the bike during it's slumber as that just puts moisture into the engine and oil. It's also best to change the oil before putting the bike up for the winter as that will get rid of the old oil with the acids and contaminants in it and give everything a good coating of fresh oil.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Two things worth noting.

Higher octane fuel goes bad quicker than lower octane fuel. 

Ethanol free does not mean water free, and water wreaks havoc. I've been this route countless times. 

• Member Contributer

I have no ethanol premium in my pressure washer and it's been in there for years. Never had an issue with starting or running, other than when I forget to turn the ignition on.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, tsmitty said:

What are everyones thoughts on using Sta-bil fuel stabilizer?

I sometimes use it for short to medium length storage, but I still drain my carbs every winter, except for my 2 or 3 Winter bikes. I've read for LONG term storage there may be better products, but I've never had a problem.

I have a 35 gallon gas pump on wheels in my outer shop.  I fill it with non-ethanol, lead substitute, and the lighter ratio of Stabil.  It is for my vintage bikes, lawn equipment, hanging remote gas bottle and "emergencies".

In our area non-ethanol is too rare to be able to always run it exclusively on rides.  But my vintage bikes rarely go farther than a tank, so the in-shop gas pump has been great.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

All tests that I have seen say meh... I never drain my carbs on the two vehicles that use them. I just run E-free fuel and run them before they sit to get any H2O out (heavier than the actual fuel). 

I used to believe in StarTron until I watched some tests and they highlighted all of the problem that I was having using it. 

Just the fuel, ma'am. Just the fuel. 

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, bmart said:

and run them before they sit to get any H2O out (heavier than the actual fuel).

Please explain what the F that means.  You can never get all the fuel out when you just drain a tank, so that's exactly where any water will still be pooled...  below where fuel is getting pulled from.  How much water do you think you have in your tank?

And like I said, there is no way I can always guarantee e-free fuel.  Also I can't guarantee that bike will be one that gets used the next season.  So, I drain carbs. 

• Member Contributer

Our local E-free supply nearly always has water in it. The KLX hates it. This water is heavier than the fuel sharing the same container. If I can get it to sputter on the way home from filling, the water works its way out and only fuel is left. then it runs just fine, even months later. If I try to start it cold with H2O in there...nada. 

Strangely, the FI bikes don't seem to care at all. Maybe they're dual fuel. lol

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, tsmitty said:

What are everyones thoughts on using Sta-bil fuel stabilizer?

Years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did a 6 month scientific test of fuel stabilizers. By far the best rating went to Startron.

Switching from Sta-bil to Startron has proved to reduce issues with our fleet (now 70+) of MSF training bikes which sit for 3 months a year. It has also helped with the too many carbureted bikes in my garage, some of which see only 500-1k miles per year.

YRMV

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Winterization time has come for the MV....

20231029_111552_copy_2268x3024.thumb.jpg.7910446a64ff02b0411899b94b5036bb.jpg

Drained the carbs, that's all

20231029_113912.thumb.jpg.7ac1ee19f83a4abcc97bc3942846a182.jpg

No squatters allowed...  🙂

20231029_112432.thumb.jpg.7fc8e7961ff8e3373583cdbda8a0ebb6.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I don't think I would continue to use that E-free supply, 

Until I can afford to make my own...it is what we have. E-free doesn't get used much, so moisture gets in. If I had a single bike, it wouldn't be an issue, but as they are...they can sit for a long time. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, slo1 said:

Years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did a 6 month scientific test of fuel stabilizers. By far the best rating went to Startron.

Switching from Sta-bil to Startron has proved to reduce issues with our fleet (now 70+) of MSF training bikes which sit for 3 months a year. It has also helped with the too many carbureted bikes in my garage, some of which see only 500-1k miles per year.

YRMV

I'd recommend looking at multiple reviews, as most found it to be snake oil. What was that old oil additive from the 80s that turned out to kill engines? lol

You may also like Lucas and Seafoam products...which also seem to do nothing positive. 

• Thanks 1

In my previous 2001 VFR800,  which had fuel injection,  just used any fuel stabilizer according to manufacturers directions. No issues. And on a side note, is it necessary to trickle charge the battery all winter?

• Member Contributer

I use Stabil Marine grade, the bike usually starts on the first attempt after 4 months.

I only use it for the last 2 tank fill ups before winterizing to make sure, it is inthe carbs. And, yes, trickle charger used during storage

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

The VFR800's have MMC bores, not Iron liners. It has SS piston rings. So no need to ever put oil in the bores. 

As for fuel, depends how long you leave it. I used to use fuel stab, but stopped a couple of years back after an accident meant I didn't use the VFR for a year. Reattached charged battery cycled fi a couple of times using kill switch then it started 2nd press of the button 👍

• Member Contributer
On 10/29/2023 at 7:16 AM, bmart said:

I'd recommend looking at multiple reviews, as most found it to be snake oil. What was that old oil additive from the 80s that turned out to kill engines? lol

You may also like Lucas and Seafoam products...which also seem to do nothing positive. 

That was mildly entertaining, and food for thought, but MCN did chemical analysis every 2 weeks for 6 months with Ethanol Free gas.

Any bike/car that sits for long periods of time should have Ethanol Free gas in it. My lawn mower likes E-0 better as well, the snow blower is stored with no fuel.

Climate will also play a role, as where I live the humidity level is often below 30% and sometimes below 10%. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks...not everyone gets my humor. 🙂

From what I've read, ethanol starts to degrade in ~2 weeks. New vehicles seem okay with that for years, but carbs change everything. Real fuel starts to go bad in many years with degradation (from what I've read) after many years (2-5?).