Jump to content
sfdownhill

Power Commander V fix for 2000-2001 VFRs

Recommended Posts

Dynojet now provides a patch that enables Power Commander V [PCV] to work with 2000-2001 5th gen VFRs! It's true! At least Dynojet says it's true. Dynojet is the company that manufactures Power Commander and has provided the file along with instructions for downloading it to a PCV. We haven't put it to the test yet, but are eagerly looking forward to doing so.

 

Thanks to VFRD member Rob916 for poking us with a stick about this topic and getting us to post this info. We also posted this information on the 'New Performance Header" thread, but thought it worth reposting here in the 5th gen forum in case it can be of use to anyone not watching the header thread.

 

Some may recall that a number of owners of 2000-2001 5th gen VFRs have tried Power Commander V on their motorcycles and found that with PCV, their engines ran very poorly, exhibiting rough, erratic power output and misfires. 1998-1999 VFRs seem impervious and are able to use PCV with no problems. Now, in theory at least, there is a theoretical solution.

 

Last week Jozef Tomasovich helped connect us with Dusty Schaller at Dynojet [Some might recall that Jozef is the dyno tech at Attack Performance where we did all the dyno testing/tuning of the new performance headers]. Dusty is the product manager of Power Commander and sent the attached file along with these instructions:

 

"You need to update the PCV to this datafile [the file attached below].  The only way to do this currently is with Power Core software using Dyno control.  Open Dyno control and go to Support – Send data file.

To get Power core go here - https://www.dynojet.com/downloads/power-vision-3/  Scroll down to Software"

 

Here is the file:

B16-005.02.ddat 134.02 kB · 0 downloads

If anyone gets a chance to try this before we run it on our 2001 5 gen test bike, please post your procedure and results here as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, this has been said before.

I'm hoping it is true this time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running PCV on my 99 VFR with only 25,000 miles on it. It only starts with the choke (idle enrichner) significantly dialed up until it warms up then I have to adjust it back down. The idle does not sound very clean either. 

Previous 98 I rode only had these symptoms at around 130k miles. I attributed it to engine wear.

Curious if this patch will work on the 99 model too. Will it theoretically not have I'll effects on the 99 if I use this patch? 

Bike does run strong overall. I have a Two Brothers full exhaust on it as well which may tie me into the performance header category. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Dynojet now provides a patch that enables Power Commander V [PCV] to work with 2000-2001 5th gen VFRs! It's true! At least Dynojet says it's true. Dynojet is the company that manufactures Power Commander and has provided the file along with instructions for downloading it to a PCV. We haven't put it to the test yet, but are eagerly looking forward to doing so.

 

Thanks to VFRD member Rob916 for poking us with a stick about this topic and getting us to post this info. We also posted this information on the 'New Performance Header" thread, but thought it worth reposting here in the 5th gen forum in case it can be of use to anyone not watching the header thread.

 

Some may recall that a number of owners of 2000-2001 5th gen VFRs have tried Power Commander V on their motorcycles and found that with PCV, their engines ran very poorly, exhibiting rough, erratic power output and misfires. 1998-1999 VFRs seem impervious and are able to use PCV with no problems. Now, in theory at least, there is a theoretical solution.

 

Last week Jozef Tomasovich helped connect us with Dusty Schaller at Dynojet [Some might recall that Jozef is the dyno tech at Attack Performance where we did all the dyno testing/tuning of the new performance headers]. Dusty is the product manager of Power Commander and sent the attached file along with these instructions:

 

"You need to update the PCV to this datafile [the file attached below].  The only way to do this currently is with Power Core software using Dyno control.  Open Dyno control and go to Support – Send data file.

To get Power core go here - https://www.dynojet.com/downloads/power-vision-3/  Scroll down to Software"

 

Here is the file:

B16-005.02.ddat 134.02 kB · 0 downloads

If anyone gets a chance to try this before we run it on our 2001 5 gen test bike, please post your procedure and results here as soon as possible.

It looks like you need to hook up the PCV to a DynoJet Dyno to install the patch?  It would be nice if this is a true solution!

 

Ciao,

 

JZH

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JZH said:

It looks like you need to hook up the PCV to a DynoJet Dyno to install the patch?  It would be nice if this is a true solution!

 

Ciao,

 

JZH

From the email instructions that I read, it appears that there is a software you run on your PC to install the file. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JZH said:

It looks like you need to hook up the PCV to a DynoJet Dyno to install the patch?  It would be nice if this is a true solution!

 

Good question JZH and good observation Duc2V4. You guys prompted me to take Dusty's instructions out for a test spin.

 

The software is indeed intended to act as interface between a technician and a Dynojet dyno, but the program was free to download and came in a 123.88mb zip file. Power Core version 2.1.1 loaded easily onto my PC and includes four applications for operating and using a dyno for tuning. The Dyno Control app within the Power Core suite opened and under the support tab, the app was indeed ready to 'send data file', but I don't have a Power Commander V here to test the procedure.

 

So the software and process are available, free, and viable, but we'll need someone with a 2000-2001 5th gen that has a PCV installed to verify that the patch file actually saves the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Curious if this patch will work on the 99 model too. Will it theoretically not have I'll effects on the 99 if I use this patch? 

 

That's a good question, Captain. I don't think I'd mess with a working PCV system like yours unless there is a guaranteed way to restore the PCV's firmware/software to its original version without the patch. If the patch screwed up your VFR's operation and your PCV couldn't be restored, you be stuck with a Dynojet brick equipped with a fuel injection harness.

 

Regarding the 'not very clean' idle, have you tried synching the starter valves? I have not yet done this on my 2001, and I don't know for sure whether the starter valves are related to idle - just throwing it out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will definitely go the major tune and service route first. Then maybe try some different maps. May even throw down for a dyno tune custom map.

This just caught my attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this patch was pioneered as a result of a customer of mine having his 99 tuned at a dyno shop in Seattle. We had installed an older model PC with ignition control so the header I built could be tuned properly. The shop he took it to insisted that they could not work with the older model PC2 and sold him a PC5. The bike didn't run properly with that one(as we suspected) and the shop worked with Dynojet to get it working properly.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I believe this patch was pioneered as a result of a customer of mine having his 99 tuned at a dyno shop in Seattle. We had installed an older model PC with ignition control so the header I built could be tuned properly. The shop he took it to insisted that they could not work with the older model PC2 and sold him a PC5. The bike didn't run properly with that one(as we suspected) and the shop worked with Dynojet to get it working properly.  

 

That's very cool, Seb. PM sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 4:20 PM, sfdownhill said:

 

Good question JZH and good observation Duc2V4. You guys prompted me to take Dusty's instructions out for a test spin.

 

The software is indeed intended to act as interface between a technician and a Dynojet dyno, but the program was free to download and came in a 123.88mb zip file. Power Core version 2.1.1 loaded easily onto my PC and includes four applications for operating and using a dyno for tuning. The Dyno Control app within the Power Core suite opened and under the support tab, the app was indeed ready to 'send data file', but I don't have a Power Commander V here to test the procedure.

 

So the software and process are available, free, and viable, but we'll need someone with a 2000-2001 5th gen that has a PCV installed to verify that the patch file actually saves the day.

I have the Power Core software running on my computer, but my PCV unit is not recognised by the Dyno Control app.  The C3 Tuning app (part of the Power Core suite) does recognise it, so I believe the problem is that the Dyno Control app only looks for Dyno modules, not PCVs.  So, unless I'm doing something wrong, I think we still need to work with a friendly DynoJet dyno operator and a PCV owner, to see if the patch actually works.

 

Ciao,

 

JZH

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JZH said:

So, unless I'm doing something wrong, I think we still need to work with a friendly DynoJet dyno operator and a PCV owner, to see if the patch actually works.

 

Sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The patch worked on my '99*. installation is easy and can be done with Windows computer.
 
I called Dynojet and worked with Danny Boardman Powersports Technician
 
You'll need:
1) PC5 to update connected to computer, motorbike off
2) The file (B16-005.02.ddat) downloaded on the computer you will use to update the PC5
3) Dynojet Power Core installed on the computer you will use to update the PC5
4) After install, start Dynojet Power Core
5) At "Power Core Application-Launcher" Select "WinPEP 8 Dyno Control"
6) At "WinPEP 8 Dyno Control" window, select the "Support" tab then "Send Data File" button
7) A pop up window will appear asking for location of "B16-005.02.ddat"
'8) Select the .ddat file, press the "Open" button and start update
9) After the update, close all Power Core applications, important as you can not continue to next step if any Power Core applications are open
10) Open "Power Commander V Software" and load your PC5 with a zero map or any map of your choice
11) Go for a ride
 
I suggest checking starter valves.  I set mine a few weeks ago after "Wade Header" install and once home after update, I found 3 and 4 were significantly off while 1 and 2 were spot on.  Idle increased from 1,200 rpm to 1,300 rpm
 
 
 
* My '99 was originally a Calif bike with California ECU 38770-MBG-771 and California cams.
In Oct '19 with 11.8k miles, converted to EU ECU 38770-MBG-003 and 49 state cams. I ran the '99 in this configuration with stock header and Staintune without issue.
In Jan '20 I replaced the stock header with the "Wade Header", again no issue.
In Feb '20 I installed PC5 (SKU 16-005) and had issues similar to SFDownhill's when he had his '01 initially Dyno'd with prototype headers at Attack. (see below)
After the update, I loaded the PC5 with a zero map and went for a ride. A few hard pulls by the Richmond Shipyards convinced me all was well. I changed the zero map to the Attack map provided by sfdownhill and my VFR was transformed.
 

 

 
 
 
 

 

PC5_Upgrade_05.jpg

PC5_Upgrade_06.jpg

PC5_Upgrade_07.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.