New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

And from the 8 Gen run...Bike pic to show 8 Gen version, which is slightly different.

8 gen hi Don 2.JPG

Attack 8 gen comparison 04 24   19.jpg

Attack 8 gen midrange 04 24 19.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Tyjamo said:

I've continually battled with myself: to tune or not to tune. 
While I'm sure the experience of the machine is enhanced, I'm not sure it's worth the cost. 
I paid a premium price for my 989 mile '07. It came with OEM panniers, and HeliBars, no more. I added a load of accessories. It's a convertible now. Last year it was in full touring spec, and my wife and I took a nice long road trip. This year, it got the Lasers and shed the luggage and rear fender. 
The bike is too good to let go, even though there are a few newer more powerful bikes that get my blood pumping. Multistrada, Tuono to name a couple. I really want to keep it and so far have not let anything get in the way of that. It's mechanically stock, other than the slip on, and for me it's still great. I don't find any unmanageable surging, my vtec transition is not bad. I can operate the clutch and throttle well enough to tame it.  At this point it isn't worth over two grand for pipes and chip and tune. Add a couple horsepower, lose a few pounds, spend a few thousand. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future but for now I'll leave it alone. If I really need more power, which I don't really desire, I'll finally get my Multistrada 1260S and keep the Viffer alongside. 

I get it. When I bought my 09 back in 2011 (346 miles on her), I thought I would keep it stock, but slowly and surely a mod here, a mode there and in all honesty, the headers were going to be my final mod...so I thought. After 100k plus miles, the 6 Gen engine started to burn coolant, rather than get the motor fixed, I bought a used 5 Gen for the motor and stuck that in the 09 frame, so now I have my 09 with a 5 Gen motor, it's still my commuter and sometimes canyon bike and in all honesty, she is no slouch!

I actually use to use my 5 Gen at the track a lot, as I use to do corner working for the California Superbike School and the 5 Gen just became my "play" bike. Lots of canyon carving and then lots of track riding, both bikes seem to hold their own, but the BMW S1000R bikes the school uses do haul a$$ but I'm not far behind and usually pass them in the corners (a weak spot with most students). Anyway, it's your bike and your call.

Cheers,

D

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I believe that we are 4 orders short of the minimum.

Are we 4 orders short or just waiting on 4 deposits?

• Member Contributer

Riding a bike with a full exhaust system is just a different experience than the same bike stock/and or with slip on.  There isn't an easy way to explain it.  Everyone I know who has gone down the exhaust modification path is happy and typically switch into exhaust purchasing and selection mode before buying a new bike.  "I'm gonna replace the OEM exhaust on any bike I get, so there better be a full system I want (and a tuning option) or I won't even bother making the new bike purchase".  

A few years ago, I purchased a new 2019 Honda CB1000R.  The stock exhaust was awful looking.  Akrapovic makes a beautiful system and I have a local tuner with the skills and equipment to tune it.  I bought the exhaust, the bike and had the tuning done.  The newer CB1000R's have the same exhaust mine did and tuning has been a challenge.  I would NOT purchase the new model due to that restriction.  Many people have a shift in thinking once they have gone down this path.  

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Are we 4 orders short or just waiting on 4 deposits?

4 orders short. SF and I are going to get together this weekend and figure out a plan. We really want to get this going already but have the small hurdle. We'll keep you all posted, please bear with us a little longer, it will pay off, I'm positive.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, CornPoweredV4 said:

Maybe a post can be made on FB or a banner put up somewhere to gather some more interest?

I did a few times but seems most folks on FB are looking at Delkevic or, dare I say it...Black Widow. Go figure?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I did a few times but seems most folks on FB are looking at Delkevic or, dare I say it...Black Widow. Go figure?

Perhaps upload the Dyno charts as incentive-doubt a Delkevic or BW would yield such HP/torque gains.

• Member Contributer

4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

4 orders short. SF and I are going to get together this weekend and figure out a plan. We really want to get this going already but have the small hurdle. We'll keep you all posted, please bear with us a little longer, it will pay off, I'm positive.

Thanks for hanging in there. I'm really hoping this doesn't fall through. We had 22 takers on this at one point, so I thought we'd hit that 15. I'm considering buying another just to help get us over the hump. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Hey now, I have a Black Widow can on my bike. Is it the BEST quality can? No. But it looks good and sounds good.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Ziffer said:

Hey now, I have a Black Widow can on my bike. Is it the BEST quality can? No. But it looks good and sounds good.

No shade intended-just trying to get some headers sold😉

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Ziffer said:

No disrespect intended but your response is kind if what I was saying when I wrote that. Really what I was trying to say is that most folks on FB are not looking to spend the money on headers like ours, but would rather pay a much cheaper price and get what they get and are OK with that. Most think that the "can" is what gives them the performance, in reality, it's mostly the sound that changes from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 6/16/2023 at 11:24 PM, Ziffer said:

I think you guys talking apples and oranges.  The FB groups are mostly looking at the BW and Delkevic headers, which are a different design and suboptimal.  The VFRD ones are way better.  For mufflers, I have no idea about Black Widow but the Delkevics are as good as anything else out there, from upsweep to exhaust tip.  In every way that matters (design and construction quality)...pretty much the same.  

But some people like space alien blaster looking exhausts or something...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

I think you guys talking apples and oranges.  The FB groups are mostly looking at the BW and Delkevic headers, which are a different design and suboptimal.  The VFRD ones are way better.  For mufflers, I have no idea about Black Widow but the Delkevics are as good as anything else out there, from upsweep to exhaust tip.  In every way that matters (design and construction quality)...pretty much the same.  

But some people like space alien blaster looking exhausts or something...

I love my alien space blasters!

I'd like to have the VFRD headers but the starting cost of 1000$, shipping to EU, import procedure and VAT would bring the cost up to 2000$ probably. 

969EE94C-BC24-4BC7-B7B1-DD7558AE8707.jpeg

• Member Contributer

As for my update, I did speak with SF last week but he was traveling, so our conversation wasn't a complete one. That said, I did offer to buy the remaining 4 units and hold onto them for anyone who either couldn't grab them this production run or for those who just came late to the party.

Essentially, the 4 non purchased units would be in my possession and available for sale on a first come, first serve basis. The cost would be the same and of course any additional cost for shipping. My initial thought was to have them all be made as 5 Gen units, that way even 6 Gen buyers could use them, just remove the short amount that makes them slightly different than the 5 Gens. The only issue with this, is that no 8 Gen units would be available for anyone looking for an 8 gen version.

If anyone has any thoughts on that topic, please feel free to chime in. I'm hoping to get with SF sometime today or tomorrow to discuss this further and get back to you all. Again, sorry for the long wait but these things too are out of my and SF's hands.

Cheers,

D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 6/19/2023 at 4:21 PM, Duc2V4 said:

As for my update, I did speak with SF last week but he was traveling, so our conversation wasn't a complete one. That said, I did offer to buy the remaining 4 units and hold onto them for anyone who either couldn't grab them this production run or for those who just came late to the party.

Essentially, the 4 non purchased units would be in my possession and available for sale on a first come, first serve basis. The cost would be the same and of course any additional cost for shipping. My initial thought was to have them all be made as 5 Gen units, that way even 6 Gen buyers could use them, just remove the short amount that makes them slightly different than the 5 Gens. The only issue with this, is that no 8 Gen units would be available for anyone looking for an 8 gen version.

If anyone has any thoughts on that topic, please feel free to chime in. I'm hoping to get with SF sometime today or tomorrow to discuss this further and get back to you all. Again, sorry for the long wait but these things too are out of my and SF's hands.

Cheers,

D

This post from Duc2V4 is 100% true - he continues to demonstrate what a rock star he is. Everyone who has sent a deposit owes him a vote of gratitude for helping kick this current header order into action. Duc2V4 and I will be taking all the deposits to Wade's shop next week to get us onto his production schedule. We will keep everyone updated here. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Last Saturday we stopped by Wade's and gave him the deposits for 15 headers. 11 have been ordered by members here, and Duc2V4 will have 4 more sets for sale, so if anyone hears of someone who might be interested in getting their 5, 6, or 8 gen VFR800 breathing better, please let them know how to reach us here.

At this time, for the four extra sets, we plan on ordering 3 sets for 5 gen [These can have the collector exit cut 5/8" shorter to become 6 gen headers] and 1 set for 8 gen with front radiator [vs the side radiators of 5/6 gens]. Wade has two orders in production ahead of ours, so we're approximately 6 weeks away from having the pipes ready to pick up and take to the passivators. Onward and upward!

• Like 9

• Member Contributer
On 7/5/2023 at 11:37 PM, sfdownhill said:

Last Saturday we stopped by Wade's and gave him the deposits for 15 headers. 11 have been ordered by members here, and Duc2V4 will have 4 more sets for sale, so if anyone hears of someone who might be interested in getting their 5, 6, or 8 gen VFR800 breathing better, please let them know how to reach us here.

At this time, for the four extra sets, we plan on ordering 3 sets for 5 gen [These can have the collector exit cut 5/8" shorter to become 6 gen headers] and 1 set for 8 gen with front radiator [vs the side radiators of 5/6 gens]. Wade has two orders in production ahead of ours, so we're approximately 6 weeks away from having the pipes ready to pick up and take to the passivators. Onward and upward!

Awesome news! Thanks Duc2V4 for covering the extras. I just met a guy last week with a 5th gen. I'll be running the idea of buying a set past him.

And thanks sfdownhill for doing your part. I'm excited for this to finally happen, since I just missed the last batch and wasn't sure if another run would ever happen!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey All, wanted to update everyone, although we tried to work around getting the minimum order in for the headers to get built, seems the builder had some orders in ahead of us. It doesn't mean they aren't getting made, just means we still had wait a little. But getting the minimum order in was still crucial, we are up next in the queue and will be reaching out to those who purchased them for the remaining balance and shipping cost. So hopefully you'll see a PM and/or an email real soon.

Sorry for the long delay still but we're getting there, I know the wait is painful, but I'm sure the reward will be worth it!

Cheers,

D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Fishkillmadness said:

Just got directed here from the fb group,  I'm super psyched they are back in production! I just sent in deposit 🙂

I'll let sf know to look out for your deposit.

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer

Hey Darryl I sent you a PM, I'll take one of the 5th gen headers off your hands. Should I send the deposit to SF or pay you. Thanks!