Heated Gloves Or Grips?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

I'm in Florida and only need heated hands about 2 months a year. Question is do I go through the trouble to wire and install heated grips, if so whats best or get some battery powered gloves [liners] for the short time I'll be using them? thoughts and recommendations on brands and your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I wear a pair of Dainese D-dry riding gloves when cold. Not Electric. 40 deg. F is my limit for riding. My hands do not get cold in these. You will lose a bit of throttle feel however. Wear layers to keep the blood warm when it gets to your hands, feet, etc.

• Member Contributer

I'm in Florida and only need heated hands about 2 months a year. Question is do I go through the trouble to wire and install heated grips, if so whats best or get some battery powered gloves [liners] for the short time I'll be using them? thoughts and recommendations on brands and your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Grip heaters:

1] You're not going to forget them at home.

2] Turn them on whenever you need them without stopping.

3] Buy gloves for protection, heaters for warmth.

I'm using some cheepo ATV heaters over the OEM grips and under grip puppies. The most useful thing is a good controller. A pulse width modulated controller is the way to go here, and can be made cheap if you're handy. Maybe that's a post I need to write.

Glenn

I haven't tried either but have been thinking about it.

If I buy, it will probably be be gloves.

It's cheaper and easier than putting grips on 3 bikes. :smile:

I've done both ... I live in the heart of Canada and it's not uncommon for me to ride in sub-freezing temperatures.

Heated Grips are my personal preference - like rdguy said, you never forget them at home, and they're ready when you need them if the weather turns while you're out and you forgot your warm gloves at home.

Get yourself a FuzeBlock FZ-1 and a set of Oxford Heaterz ... it's super easy to install. You can install a set of heated grips and the FZ-1 in about 2 hours total or less.

• Member Contributer

Gloves will keep your hands warmed better in colder conditions but agree with the points above so I'd vote for heated grips; they're easy enough to install.

• Member Contributer

I bought a set of Powerlet "Rapidfire" glove liners; at postision 3 of 5 it gave me burn blisters...

Powerlet sent me a new/better? set and no problem since.

Advantage is the heat on top of your hand/fingers as well, but is it a bit more cumbersome.

Each time when you fire up the bike, you still need to press the "on" button on the controller which sits inside your jacket.

Putting your jacket on you need to pay attention that both wires run towards your cuffs.

In a next life I'd probably go for heated grips...

But heated gear in Florida??? :unsure:

post-8974-0-85678100-1451995583.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've never tried heated gloves, but I do love my grip heaters. You'll need a good pair of winter gloves to go with them to keep the wind off the back of your hands. Like the others have said, you'll never forget them at home. You can switch them on mid-ride if the weather changes. I've been known to use them in the rain when my summer gloves are wet and cold. They last longer than a pair of gloves.

• Member Contributer

I have both, and prefer the gloves. The grips are handy for taking the chill off on-the-fly, but are only good down into the mid 40s. So far the gloves work down into the mid 20s.

I have both. Use the grip heaters when I get stuck out in the cold or when in the mountains when things cool off. The gloves provide less feedback and are more of a pain to put on and hook up. For really cold weather though, they are much better than grip heaters.

I want to say the grip heaters are only about $30 and gloves can be $150, so there is a big difference in cost.

• Member Contributer

I bought a set of Powerlet "Rapidfire" glove liners; at postision 3 of 5 it gave me burn blisters...

Powerlet sent me a new/better? set and no problem since.

Advantage is the heat on top of your hand/fingers as well, but is it a bit more cumbersome.

Each time when you fire up the bike, you still need to press the "on" button on the controller which sits inside your jacket.

Putting your jacket on you need to pay attention that both wires run towards your cuffs.

In a next life I'd probably go for heated grips...

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Dutchy, where did you get yours from? Over here or the States. Looking for a new set of gloves but didnt want a specific pair of heated gloves and these look like i can use them in conjunction with the new gloves. Have got heated grips but they only warm the insides of my hands. At my age with thin blood :goofy: i need overall warmth. My right hand thumb and first two fingers are numb anyway due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder and even after 15 mins of cold they turn white, very painful.

I have installed these on more bikes than I can remember.

I bought a bunch of them when they were 6.00.

If someone was at the house and complaining about cold hands, I would just throw these on their bike.

With relay and fuse it is under 20.00 and the rider is extremely happy.

Under a half hour to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcycle-Heated-Grip-Throttle-Pads-Handlebars-ATV-Scooter-Grips-Heater-fu-/281569177652?hash=item418ed4b034:g:maEAAOSw2s1UvV1T&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, where did you get yours from? Over here or the States.

Bought in the US, shipped APO (=cheap) to an AFB in Germany, close to where my mother-in-law lives.

So visiting her was a win-win :goofy:

This way, also Dutch customs would not slap a bill on them.....

• Member Contributer

So visiting her was a win-win :goofy:

Mmm, you obviously never met my ex mother in law.

• Member Contributer

I went with gloves -- Warm & Safe, controlled with their heat-troller -- because I cover the brake lever with two fingers when I ride. (I ride until they salt the roads; typically it's below freezing by the time I put the bike away.)

They're a bit of a pain to hook up at the begining of a ride, but they do the job, and they're thin enough that they don't impair the feel.

• Member Contributer

post-31913-0-99699800-1452012252.png
Averages can be highly misleading because they distill away so much information. My wife is pleasant "on average". That doesn't mean I don't spend a few uncomfortable nights on the sofa.

That's not even below freezing. ;)

I typically ride into November/December before putting the bike away and then riding again by the end of March .... just depends on when the permanent snow actually hits.

winnipeg-average-temperatures-chart.gif

December 6, 2015 Ride to Lac du Bonnet

PS ... just giving them Southerners a hard time. I realize that if you're acclimatized it makes a big difference.

• Member Contributer

Favourite song whike driving to your mother in law probably acdc

Highway to hell..... :-)

Grips for short trips, gloves for long. I have bad circulation in my wrists/hands so I often use both.

Given that it doesn't get that cold in FL, grips should be fine.

Data Point = My last REV chassis Ski-Doo was fine with grip heaters and decent winter gloves in -10 to -30degC at 80 to 140km/h for hours at a time so for a motorcycling I'd go with:

- adjustable, heated grips with

- wind resistant/proof gloves (my Knox Handroids don't cut it below 50degF/10degC)

• Member Contributer

San Diego has some pretty fair weather but I have heated grips on three bikes .....cause I do tour and even get a bit chilly in mountains here during the winter. Grips are the ticket most times unless your are doing a sustained very cold tour. Plus you can never forget them.

Sometime you need both so I slip-on the heated glove liners to complement the grips. I was returning from a Big Bend Winter tour and at about 9,200ft in Arizona.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1093730.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips had not thought of not having them when when you need them. Think I'll go with the grips. I know I'm a wimp can't take the cold. And I am in "North Florida!!" Occasionally lows in the 20'F with highs in the 40'sF Thank God it don't last long. Don't know how you guys ride up north you got to be tough.

Thanks again,

• Member Contributer

Scottish Weather, its auld but guid

50F degrees --
New Yorkers turn on the heat.
People in Scotland plant gardens.

40 degrees --
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Scotland sunbathe.

35 degrees --
Italian cars won't start.
People in Scotland drive with the windows down.

20 degrees --
Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wool hats.
People in Scotland throw on a T-shirt.

15 degrees --
Californians begin to evacuate the state.
People in Scotland go swimming.

Zero degrees --
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Scotland have the last bbq before it gets cold.

10 degrees below zero --
People in Miami cease to exist.
People in Scotland lick flagpoles.

20 degrees below zero --
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Scotland throw on a light jacket.

80 degrees below zero --
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Scottish Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

100 degrees below zero --
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
People in Scotland pull down their ear flaps.

173 degrees below zero --
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
People in Scotland get frustrated when they can't thaw their kegs.

297 degrees below zero --
Microbial life start to disappear.
Scottish cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 degrees below zero --
ALL atomic motion stops.
People in Scotland start saying "chilly, you cald an aw?"

500 degrees below zero --
Hell freezes over.
Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup.

Archived