Heated Gloves Or Grips?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

I am in So.CA so pretty mild cold winters but ride every day. Installed el cheapo hand grip warmers two years ago. Trouble free and i rarely turn turn them off this time of year. Bought a cheap set of winter gloves to go with them. I put the liners in my Tourmaster jacket and riding pants and I am good to go. I think if I lived in a much colder climate then the expensive electonic heated garments would make sense. But i like to save my money these days.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I left Florida yesterday. It was 60 degrees, and people were wearing ski masks and jackets. I was wishing that I had my bike with me while I was down there.

• Member Contributer

Scottish Weather, its auld but guid

50F degrees --

New Yorkers turn on the heat.

People in Scotland plant gardens.

40 degrees --

Californians shiver uncontrollably.

People in Scotland sunbathe.

35 degrees --

Italian cars won't start.

People in Scotland drive with the windows down.

20 degrees --

Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wool hats.

People in Scotland throw on a T-shirt.

15 degrees --

Californians begin to evacuate the state.

People in Scotland go swimming.

Zero degrees --

New York landlords finally turn up the heat.

People in Scotland have the last bbq before it gets cold.

10 degrees below zero --

People in Miami cease to exist.

People in Scotland lick flagpoles.

20 degrees below zero --

Californians fly away to Mexico.

People in Scotland throw on a light jacket.

80 degrees below zero --

Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.

Scottish Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

100 degrees below zero --

Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.

People in Scotland pull down their ear flaps.

173 degrees below zero --

Ethyl alcohol freezes.

People in Scotland get frustrated when they can't thaw their kegs.

297 degrees below zero --

Microbial life start to disappear.

Scottish cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 degrees below zero --

ALL atomic motion stops.

People in Scotland start saying "chilly, you cald an aw?"

500 degrees below zero --

Hell freezes over.

Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup.

Lol. Funniest thing I've seen today. Thanks Dutchy.

C

• Member Contributer

Still have some PX cask Laphraoig left to keep me warm.... :-)

I always say 50F is freezing in L.A.

Never mind I grew up with Chicago winters.

Trust me, you can de acclimate. Brrr..... :cool:

• Member Contributer

My Oxford Heaterz premium grips arrived today. I was going to get a relay but the controller for the grips has an automatic cut off when it does not "see" any noise in the system or battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Its there only if you forget to turn it

off, which I don't see myself doing. Should I Get a relay anyway?? It's starting to get crowded around the battery with the Powerlet and VFRness This will be one more thing connected to the battery. Is there a better way? Who knows what I'll find to put on next.

Thoughts, suggestions should I be OK for now? Thanks.

My Oxford Heaterz premium grips arrived today. I was going to get a relay but the controller for the grips has an automatic cut off when it does not "see" any noise in the system or battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Its there only if you forget to turn it

off, which I don't see myself doing. Should I Get a relay anyway?? It's starting to get crowded around the battery with the Powerlet and VFRness This will be one more thing connected to the battery. Is there a better way? Who knows what I'll find to put on next.

It sounds like you need a relayed fuse block to support your added farkles.

You still need a radar detector and heated gear.

First of all hallo to every one !

New guy here, owned 3 vfrs so far, the advice found here was invaluable when I ran into technical difficulties, big thank you.

The heated gloves / grips issue:

I use both.

When temp is above 5 degrees C I use the grips and a relatively good pair of winter gloves.

Not sure about other models but my heated gloves are a bit thicker and they don't give me a very good feel for the controls.

When the temp is below 5 and going for a longer ride then I tend to use the heated gloves.

Personally I'd try first the heated grips and if you want more heat then try the heated gloves as they tend to me more expensive also.

Hope this helps.

Ps

I've really enjoyed reading the Scottish winter post, funniest thingies read today :)

• Member Contributer

I've used heated grips and heated grip wraps (does Aerostich still sell those?) for many years, but I do not usually (intentionally) ride when it's really cold any more. My problem with heated grips is that they are only of use if you can keep your hands wrapped around them most of the time. However, when I ride in town, I almost always cover both clutch and brake levers with four fingers--four fingers that are thus unable to benefit from the heated grip!

So, faced with the prospect of riding to work a few days a week, I recently purchased a pair of Tucano Urbano "Hot Road" gloves. One reason I chose that brand was that they were the only ones I could find that had a "conductive finger" thing in the forefingers, necessary to use a non-motorcycle-optimised touch screen (my Zumo doesn't need this, but my smartphone does). The gloves are very nicely made, and can be powered by Li-ion batteries hidden in the cuffs, but I didn't buy the batteries.

Ciao,

I'm in Florida and only need heated hands about 2 months a year. Question is do I go through the trouble to wire and install heated grips, if so whats best or get some battery powered gloves [liners] for the short time I'll be using them? thoughts and recommendations on brands and your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Grip heaters:

1] You're not going to forget them at home.

2] Turn them on whenever you need them without stopping.

3] Buy gloves for protection, heaters for warmth.

I'm using some cheepo ATV heaters over the OEM grips and under grip puppies. The most useful thing is a good controller. A pulse width modulated controller is the way to go here, and can be made cheap if you're handy. Maybe that's a post I need to write.

Glenn

:1::1::1:

Plus 100.

• Member Contributer

A relayed fuse block?? I have not seen one before. Anything brand specific, pictures.

A relayed fuse block?? I have not seen one before. Anything brand specific, pictures.

I've liked and used the FZ1 on all my bikes! Kind of pricey at around $100, but nice compact units.

post-301-0-61343700-1452908898.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've liked and used the FZ1 on all my bikes! Kind of pricey at around $100, but nice compact units.

+1 on the FZ1

It's a quality bit of engineering and facilitates smart design for powering multiple accessories. Every time you add a powered accessory, there are two recurring considerations:

1. Should you find a way to used switched power?

2. Should you add an inline fuse?

Once something like the FZ1 is installed, answering yes to either or both becomes very simple.