Heated Gloves Or Grips?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

Put an OHM meter across the liners themselves. If they match it's likely the controller that's gone tits-up, and that's an easy fix if you know how to solder.

I had a sleeve wire go bad on my Gerbings jacket liner recently. Since they no longer do free warranty repairs I did it myself. Took about a half hour to replace.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Measured the gloves with my Fluke, 12.7 and 13.2 Ohm, so close enough no?.

Hoping Powerlet will tell me what the 8.1 -that flashes briefly upon connecting to 12V- signifies, but if they are not stepping up to the plate, I gladly hear what I could do myself then.

The controller looks like this:

post-8974-0-77781300-1459240557.jpg

post-8974-0-82802300-1459240562.jpg

• Member Contributer

Measured the gloves with my Fluke, 12.7 and 13.2 Ohm, so close enough no?.

Hoping Powerlet will tell me what the 8.1 -that flashes briefly upon connecting to 12V- signifies, but if they are not stepping up to the plate, I gladly hear what I could do myself then.

The controller looks like this:

attachicon.gifIMAG3669_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG3670_1.jpg

I'd take that circuit board and wash it with a small brush and lots of alcohol, (yes, the kind you drink but drink it while you use isopropyl for the circuit board). I can see some of what looks like corrosion which can affect the IC. Rinse well and let dry, you may find it works again. It looks like it got wet.

• Member Contributer

Nope....

post-8974-0-85707000-1459327497.jpg

Powerlet have yet to respond to my querie what 8. on the display means and what they propose.

Not ready to fork out $50+shipping on a Powerlet product that so far has been a bit of a let down.

for that the price of their controller kit.

• Member Contributer

I will google varister and if I get stuck will PM you.

• Member Contributer

Gave Powerlet a call since I didnot get a response to my question via their contact form.

As expected, great customer service (it is an USA-based company), they will send out a spare controller.

Googled Varistor/VDR but euh........................ if there are any links out there how I can build one for my gloves.............. :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kudos to Powerlet (part of Coliant Group) customer service!!!!

A replacement controller arrived yesterday from across the pond.

Archived