Am I Doing The Sport Touring Thing Right?

miEr3lH.jpg

Day one is about four hours out of Phoenix and up 60. Its mostly fast sweepers with one epic beautiful canyon loaded with swtchbacks!
2ZzqkVm.png?1

Set up shop for the night! I got in early enough to get in some fishing in.
JMluy56.jpg

umnEf6L.jpg

Day 2 ended up being a tedious 10 hours of total travel including stops. The center of 191 is BEAUTIFUL and there were so many good corners I had to take breaks just to keep my mind fresh.
5qwxQHB.png?1

YbinqqN.jpg

Unfortunately, the wife would never last on a trip like this so I'm still looking for good alternatives closer to Phoenix.

Thanks for looking,
-Drew

• Member Contributer

Looks like fun. Just curious - am I seeing it right that the exhaust is straight out of the cat? Any issues with heat on your right foot?

Looks like fun. Just curious - am I seeing it right that the exhaust is straight out of the cat? Any issues with heat on your right foot?

No issues at all with heat.

You can see the whole tail section/exhaust delete here

The short pipe was pretty easy. I just took a section of pipe right off the cat and cut it into the slash tip about even with the body. Then, I added THIS BAFFLE to cut down the noise. **Link provided is not the correct diameter, I just linked to the general product**

The tricky part is that the baffle had lots of restriction and hurt acceleration and top speed as well as sounded pretty awful. I ended up trimming length off the baffle as well as adding some extra holes to find the right balance of noise and performance. The bike is no louder than any other sport bike with an aftermarket "off road use" exhaust setup.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, the wife would never last on a trip like this so I'm still looking for good alternatives closer to Phoenix.

Thanks for looking,

-Drew

post-8974-0-80942100-1444549214.jpg

Mabe one of these want to come ride with you?

But to anser your question.... YES!

• Member Contributer

That's exactly what came to mind when i read it too!! Alternatives to what exactly???? Hahahah. That would sure make the trip interesting. ....... And then the "getting home" part too.

But i like to travel alone. It makes for a bit of nice time for soul searching, and nobody argues about when and where to stop. Got any more pics of stunning scenery? The first ones are just teasers... We want more.

C

• Member Contributer

I was out that way on business last week visiting power plants, visit at least once every year, unfortunately in a cage. That area of AZ is on my list of great riding roads to get the VFR on!!

• Member Contributer

The short pipe was pretty easy. I just took a section of pipe right off the cat and cut it into the slash tip about even with the body. Then, I added THIS BAFFLE to cut down the noise. **Link provided is not the correct diameter, I just linked to the general product**

The tricky part is that the baffle had lots of restriction and hurt acceleration and top speed as well as sounded pretty awful. I ended up trimming length off the baffle as well as adding some extra holes to find the right balance of noise and performance. The bike is no louder than any other sport bike with an aftermarket "off road use" exhaust setup.

-Drew

Looks like a nice ride.

A slight hi-jack, I pulled the stock exhaust off my 6th & replaced with a 7" Supertrapp hanging off the cat. No performance hit, dropped 13lbs from up high, and tunable for noise. The sound is sweet. When I 1st did this I left the tail section alone as 2 nitrous bottles fit nicely where the stock mufflers had been. I abandoned the nitrous (difficult to get right w/o damage), now I want to make the tail section nicer looking, as you have done. My thought is to purchase a used stock tail piece & hack it rather than build from the bottom up. I don't have major fabricating skills. If that doesn't pan out, I'll study your process ...

ACE

That's exactly what came to mind when i read it too!! Alternatives to what exactly???? Hahahah. That would sure make the trip interesting. ....... And then the "getting home" part too.

But i like to travel alone. It makes for a bit of nice time for soul searching, and nobody argues about when and where to stop. Got any more pics of stunning scenery? The first ones are just teasers... We want more.

C

-Drew

Looks like a nice ride.

A slight hi-jack, I pulled the stock exhaust off my 6th & replaced with a 7" Supertrapp hanging off the cat. No performance hit, dropped 13lbs from up high, and tunable for noise. The sound is sweet. When I 1st did this I left the tail section alone as 2 nitrous bottles fit nicely where the stock mufflers had been. I abandoned the nitrous (difficult to get right w/o damage), now I want to make the tail section nicer looking, as you have done. My thought is to purchase a used stock tail piece & hack it rather than build from the bottom up. I don't have major fabricating skills. If that doesn't pan out, I'll study your process ...

ACE

The tail section was very difficult and not a novice venture. You can "fill" the stock tail section but when I was initially planning the design I wrote off modifying the stock tail because of the massive width.

C

When I ride alone I just ride all day without taking breaks. I love the huge gas tank but it ends up out riding me in that I can spend a day on the bike only to realize I only stopped three times and took a couple pictures. I'm trying to sort through the hours of gopro video but its a but shaky and might not be watchable. I tried a new mount on the front and it didn't work quite as good as I had hoped.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

Very similar to the ride that I have been planning; but I am out of Tucson. I will be taking AZ 77 from Tucson to Globe...well okay to about 3 miles East of Globe. Then go into Globe on 60 and then drop down AZ 177 to check-out "top of the world"....whatever this is and then Kearny and back to Winkleman to AZ 77 and back to Tucson.

Map quest shows it to be 200 miles, so a day trip, but I am going to take my time and stop often. At least that is the plan.

I have some friends that have a cabin in Lakeside and want to do a trip there, stay the night and then back to Tucson the next day. Probably will be next year before I get that one done.

Very similar to the ride that I have been planning; but I am out of Tucson. I will be taking AZ 77 from Tucson to Globe...well okay to about 3 miles East of Globe. Then go into Globe on 60 and then drop down AZ 177 to check-out "top of the world"....whatever this is and then Kearny and back to Winkleman to AZ 77 and back to Tucson.

Map quest shows it to be 200 miles, so a day trip, but I am going to take my time and stop often. At least that is the plan.

I have some friends that have a cabin in Lakeside and want to do a trip there, stay the night and then back to Tucson the next day. Probably will be next year before I get that one done.

That sounds like a great day trip! I'm looking into that area as well to scope out more ride possibilities.

-Drew

10 hours of riding in a day is probably too much for my own tastes. What sort of setup do you have on the bike to help with comfort? Risers? throttlemeister?

Yeah it was not exactly pleasant haha

I have hellibars, a throttle lock, and a corbin seat (which is honestly worse than OEM but has the sissy bar)

I'm probably going to lower the pegs this summer.

-Drew

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Unlike yourself, I am in the "business" of soul searching so I am always looking for someone to

ride with me. It's not easy to accomplish always, especially if I want to do something adventurous

as you have done. Great pics!!! show us more.

You survived the trip so you must be doing the sport touring thing right. Next time take Hwy 87 north out of Payson to SH 260 and loop back to Camp Verde and Hwy 17 back to Phoenix.

• Member Contributer

Hard to argue with your prescription for Sport Touring. Last year I was supposed to stop in to camp at Rainbow Lake just down the road from Show Low Lake on the return leg from Montana. But half a tooth fell out and things changed! I was going to ride an out and back to Crescent Lake to the South East but obviously never made it.

How was your campground? Camping at altitude is the only way for me in the summer. In the last few years, I typically setup camp for two nights and just do an easy loop ride out of camp. Camping does not work for me when I want to make tracks but I still camp about 50% of the time.

Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Lanny, we need to hook up!. I'm Phil and also in Oro Valley, have had my 06 for a year and put 7K on her. I've done the Winkleman-Superior-Globe loop several times, even up to Lake Roosevelt once. Mt Lemmon's good but Deputy Hays is ruining it. Picture Rocks-Sandario-McCain-Gates Pass is excellent. Vail-Sonoita-Pategonia-Nogales is good. May do Amado-Arivaca soon. But I do want to try out that 191 Noobtastic/Drew recommends sometime. Email me... properaz@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

miEr3lH.jpg

Did you find a good alternative to the wife? Phoenix has some nice women.

Day one is about four hours out of Phoenix and up 60. Its mostly fast sweepers with one epic beautiful canyon loaded with swtchbacks!2ZzqkVm.png?1

Set up shop for the night! I got in early enough to get in some fishing in.JMluy56.jpg

umnEf6L.jpg

Day 2 ended up being a tedious 10 hours of total travel including stops. The center of 191 is BEAUTIFUL and there were so many good corners I had to take breaks just to keep my mind fresh. 5qwxQHB.png?1

YbinqqN.jpg

Thanks for looking,

-Drew

Archived