Anyone Not Think The Vfr1200 Is An Absolutely Phenomenal Bike?

alleyoop

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This thread was started today.

Funny! You would have taken money from me had it come to a bet. Not sure where I got spun around. Maybe it floated to the top so many times today that it felt older to me. How about this: "I avoided this thread the first half dozen times I saw it near the top."

I think we should just quit trying to get opinions on the different gens of VFRs. they are all good in their own ways, certainly a lot better than many bikes out there, old and new, that's why we bought these beauties.... Just ride them and enjoy them..... Done!

Uhmmmmm... so when is HS going to lead that big VFR "Kumbaya" hug for us??!. :rolleyes::biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I think we should just quit trying to get opinions on the different gens of VFRs. they are all good in their own ways, certainly a lot better than many bikes out there, old and new, that's why we bought these beauties.... Just ride them and enjoy them..... Done!

Uhmmmmm... so when is HS going to lead that big VFR "Kumbaya" hug for us??!. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Amen brother !!

• Member Contributer

Outstanding photos and mods. I too love my VFR1200. I did the Guhl re-flash last month and it really transformed the bike. I also have the DAM exhaust , Heli-bars and Sargent seat. Did I mention that I love this bike? Big smiles every time I ride. I'm thinking about painting the rear cowls candy red also. It really brings out the bike. Did you perform the painting yourself or contract someone else to do it? Cost? (if you don't mind revealing it).

P.S. Did I mention that I really love this bike?

Thanks! I almost got the rear cowls painted locally but then found a vendor in England (Lings Honda) and figured Honda best knows how to match their own paint. I got my 45L topcase from the same dealer in England. That case is awesome; holds my entire Aerostich suit. And it arrived in two days!

Rear Cowl Part numbers

PFKL2299034 COWL, R. RR.

PFKL2299037 COWL, L. RR.

Total: $208 (with shipping)

I avoided this thread for several days based on the title. I thought it was going to be another flame war -- well, as close as we come to flame wars on VFRD*. Anyway, I finally peeked. Let me add to the chorus of commendations regarding the quality of your photographs. Top notch! Also, I appreciate it when folks link out to suppliers and part numbers for their mods. What kind of camera/lens did you use for your photographs? I'm guessing a big fat 1.4 f-stop something or other.

* Which is actually not that flamey. We're a remarkably mild and polite group by modern internet standards -- probably because we're just so damn old. Plus, I think we allow Canadians and even Dutchmen to post here.

No flaming from me. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Here's the camera / lens specs:

Nikon D800

Nikkor AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G ED

• Member Contributer

I agree with everyone about the comparisons, preferences and all that. VFRs in general aren't everyone's cup of tea. But whatever floats your boat.

I started to just post a thread with a boring title to show and tell what I've done to the bike but then thought I'd have some fun playing off the other thread that challenged anyone to say "something positive" about the bike.

I kind of live my life by the motto, "don't be boring." Of course sometimes the results can be unexpected. :)

Anyway, I'm having fun with the bike; and that's all that matters.

I have to say that despite all the fancy accoutrement, I think the utilitarian 45L Honda topcase is my favorite part. It lets me commute on the bike with all my necessary work gear then stow my suit when I arrive. Anyone with an Aerostich one-piece knows how huge it is folded. The case also gives Tweety Bird (wife) peace of mind on the back. Actually she would be fine; it's my piece of mind knowing I won't launch her off the back. And same topcase easily holds both of our helmets at a stop.

Here's the part numbers for the top case (and required key cylinder):

1 x PFKL2164515, 45L TOP BOX PROMINENCE RE - 08L72MGED41ZB

1 x PFKL2153510, CYL INNER SET 1 KEY - 08885HACP00

I fitted it to the Honda Rear Carrier.

l don't have any good photos, yet. But here's a phone pic that I took at work.

vfr1200_w_case700.jpg

I also live by "don't be boring." A great deal of society however values stability in everything they do. Stability and repeating the same old thing is the worst thing that humans created in the image of God could possibility do. We are infinitely smart and creative. These super powers should be put to use every single day.

Outstanding photos and mods. I too love my VFR1200. I did the Guhl re-flash last month and it really transformed the bike. I also have the DAM exhaust , Heli-bars and Sargent seat. Did I mention that I love this bike? Big smiles every time I ride. I'm thinking about painting the rear cowls candy red also. It really brings out the bike. Did you perform the painting yourself or contract someone else to do it? Cost? (if you don't mind revealing it).

P.S. Did I mention that I really love this bike?

Thanks! I almost got the rear cowls painted locally but then found a vendor in England (Lings Honda) and figured Honda best knows how to match their own paint. I got my 45L topcase from the same dealer in England. That case is awesome; holds my entire Aerostich suit. And it arrived in two days!

Rear Cowl Part numbers

PFKL2299034 COWL, R. RR.

PFKL2299037 COWL, L. RR.

Total: $208 (with shipping)

I avoided this thread for several days based on the title. I thought it was going to be another flame war -- well, as close as we come to flame wars on VFRD*. Anyway, I finally peeked. Let me add to the chorus of commendations regarding the quality of your photographs. Top notch! Also, I appreciate it when folks link out to suppliers and part numbers for their mods. What kind of camera/lens did you use for your photographs? I'm guessing a big fat 1.4 f-stop something or other.

* Which is actually not that flamey. We're a remarkably mild and polite group by modern internet standards -- probably because we're just so damn old. Plus, I think we allow Canadians and even Dutchmen to post here.

No flaming from me. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Here's the camera / lens specs:

Nikon D800

Nikkor AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G ED

I also changed the rear cowls (first thought of painting). I noticed that the new cowls are made of thicker plastic than the original. So this is also a plus.

Great photos and beautiful bike!

• 2 weeks later...

For the OP, you have a gorgeous bike! Tastefully done. I'm envious. I have a 6th gen that I'm pretty much over. After a recent 3k mile trip I've decided I have to change it out to a 7th gen. I don't love it enough to spend any more on it, and I'd rather put that money into upgrades on a 7th gen, similar to what you did. Anyway thanks so much for sharing the pics. It's always nice to see what people are doing and hear there experience without spending a dime.

They have really grown on me over the years as well. Most likely will be my next bike, although hadn't Honda already long stopped selling the newer models of it in the US already

and only Europe continues to get them?

There are still some (not many, I'm sure) new 2013's still available in the US. I don't think it would be advertised, but my dealer was able to order a DCT model from the West Coast warehouse about a year ago. I wouldn't disregard the used market either...

• Member Contributer

I'd honestly state, out of many bikes owned, the VFR1200 is without a doubt the best all around motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. Stock or modded. The handling that Honda achieved by putting the engine low in the chassis is nothing short of phenomenal. Pushing it around in the garage you say to yourself "why did I buy this big POS". But on it, riding, you hit 10 MPH and the weight disappears completely. The lean angles I get on this bike amaze me. This bike can easily do trackdays because the handling is so good. Side to side transitions are effortless and the front end is rock stable. Brakes are superb, even with rubber lines. I should quit gushing over it but it's hard not to because I really can't believe, to this day, that it's as good as it is. Finally a VFR with power and torque with handling of a literbike and brakes to match. 168 RWHP and something like 90 ft lbs of torque IIRC.

If you mount a rear Ohlins, it jacks up the rear just slightly, something like 5mm. If you are looking at removing the cat and/or flashing ECU vs. doing the suspension, hands down, do the suspension work. Jamie will revalve and respring both ends for an amazing price. Well worth double what he charges.

Funny, I almost didnt get the 1200 when I researched it because everyone bashes the hell out of it online. Ive had it for 2 months now, put 5,000 miles on it and I love every second of it, and someone comments on it almost every time I take it out from non riders as well as riders of all kinds. I'm so glad I didnt listen to the hate on the internet, I took a test ride on it and loved it, and bought it 3 weeks later. A delkevic muffler took the metalic sewing machine sound out of it, some progrips took the buzziness out of the bars, Zbomb took care of the restrictions (that really didnt bother me anyway) and how can you complain about so much power/speed with a perfect shaft drive? This bike is fantastic. I even like that its highly unlikely that you'll ever see another one on the road.

I've had my girl since they came out. 34K on it now and not a hiccup. I'm totally addicted to the smooth power.

Last year I was following a 350z down 75 South and for a good 10 mile stretch we were running about 100-125.

Not since riding my little Ninja 600 in Germany in the 80's had I ridden 100+ for more than a quick dash for obvious legal reasons.

The power that the big VFR has in that range is like a drug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I appreciate all the members whose contributions to the forum helped me make this bike sensational to ride. I could not have done it without you.

Thank you!

I took a ride over to Tallahassee the other day and stretched her legs. Here I'm parked in front of Doak Campbell stadium where the FSU football team plays. A statue of Osceola (Seminole warrior) and Renegade (horse) are in the background.

151001_1820b_9003.jpg

• Member Contributer

i'm buying my second one today.....enough said ???

That's just plain greedy! :goofy:

I know yr last got totalled.

not greedy, ...i've been VFR-less for 9 days now, AND IT SUCKS !!!!

PICKING UP A NEW 2012 ON MONDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

not greedy, ...i've been VFR-less for 9 days now, AND IT SUCKS !!!!

PICKING UP A NEW 2012 ON MONDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant.

And you know exactly what she needs! :beer:

Archived