Anyone Not Think The Vfr1200 Is An Absolutely Phenomenal Bike?

alleyoop

• Member Contributer

Not me!

I bought the bike in May and have performed the following mods to reverse the lawyers' neutering and customize for the rider.

I think the bike is an extraordinary combination of art and engineering.

Ohlins HO013 Rear Shock with Ohlins 1085lb Spring (matches 185lb rider)

Traxxion AK-20 Fork Cartridge Kit with Omni 1.15kg/mm Springs
ECU Programming by Guhl Motors
Dam Exhaust (Belgium) / Servo Motor Removed (ECU flash removed error code)

Cat removal and weld of two-in-one exhaust pipe
Galfer HH Sintered Ceramic Brake Bads (FD442G1375)
Helibars Handlebar Risers
Throttlemeister Bar Ends w/Cruise Control
Progrip 719 Duo density bar grips.
Rear Cowls (Candy Red) to replace stock silver
K&N Air Filter
Honda Rear Carrier
45 Liter Top Case

110_150823.jpg

111_150823.jpg

104_150823-2.jpg

How I got there.

12_150721.jpg

44_150721.jpg

31_150721.jpg

32_150721.jpg

50_150722.jpg

26_150721.jpg

51_150724.jpg

63_150725.jpg

DONE!

110_150823-2.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is... I don't even find it eye appealing.

However, I see you have so much invested in yours that it feels like you are trying to justify your purchase on the internet. Good luck with it.

There are a lot of great bikes out there.

Your VFR might be an outstanding machine to ride in Florida.

• Member Contributer

However, I see you have so much invested in yours that it feels like you are trying to justify your purchase on the internet. Good luck with it.

Fair point that you don't find it appealing, but the next comment is unnecessary and plainly rude.

I don't find the 7-gen to be as aesthetically pleasing as my 6th-gen, but yours is a beautiful clean example with some killer upgrades, and I have no doubt it is a joy to ride... I'd really like to take one for a spin at some point so I can have a more educated opinion on how it performs! And those really are great quality pics!

• Member Contributer

wow really nice pics and upgrades - as for 7th gen vs others..... I'm love my 6th gen as much as I loved my 4th gen - both of those bikes have more capability than I can make use of as a rider on the street, so I don't spend my time comparing. I tend to like all motorized things for their specific strong suits, and really couldn't care less about who else likes them.

<edit: I wish my 6th gen had better passenger accommodations so wifey would enjoy longer trips - that's the only thing that might get me off a VFR one day.>

Enjoy your bike, and welcome!

-speedball

• Member Contributer

Get over yourself.

I put 30k on the DCT and never really warmed up to it. It just didn't stir my soul.

Having ridden a standard-shift, it's much better. With your mods I'd imagine it's quite good.

As I've said 1000 times though: it's a great bike, just not a great bike for me.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to those providing the nice comments.

For anyone missing the reference, my title was intended as good-humored juxtaposition to the thread "Does Anyone Have Something Positive to Say about the VFR1200."

My goal is to share and help improve the experience for everybody!

• Member Contributer

Thanks to those providing the nice comments.

For anyone missing the reference, my title was intended as good-humored juxtaposition to the thread "Does Anyone Have Something Positive to Say about the VFR1200."

My goal is to share and help improve the experience for everybody!

I definitely got the reference, having followed that other thread since it appeared. Earlier than that thread Brian F had posted comments about being disappointed with his 1200 (but liked it better after the Guhl flash) and I better understood his point that certain bikes stir people in different ways. I don't take any of it personally and know what my outstanding experience has been with the bike. You have done a really nice job with your posting and I have done some of the same things you have and will consider others after seeing your results.

• Member Contributer

I definitely got the reference, having followed that other thread since it appeared. Earlier than that thread Brian F had posted comments about being disappointed with his 1200 (but liked it better after the Guhl flash) and I better understood his point that certain bikes stir people in different ways. I don't take any of it personally and know what my outstanding experience has been with the bike. You have done a really nice job with your posting and I have done some of the same things you have and will consider others after seeing your results.

A hearty thanks to YOU and many others on the forum that have provided invaluable information to help make the bike perform to its fullest potential!

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised--but pleased--with so many previous generation VFR owners replying. I think they're all beautiful in their own way. What's interesting is that I didn't like the VFR12's look when it was first introduced. I guess in the intervening years my taste caught up to the avant-garde design.

In my 40 years of riding, I've never owned a V4 and have always wanted a VFR. But it took a lot of delayed gratification.

You guys are lucky to have already been experiencing what I was missing all this time.

I'm surprised--but pleased--with so many previous generation VFR owners replying. I think they're all beautiful in their own way. What's interesting is that I didn't like the VFR12's look when it was first introduced. I guess in the intervening years my taste caught up to the avant-garde design.

In my 40 years of riding, I've never owned a V4 and have always wanted a VFR. But it took a lot of delayed gratification.

You guys are lucky to have already been experiencing what I was missing all this time.

I got my first bike, the used VFR last year at 43 years old. So I have been missing the riding all of this time :)

• Member Contributer

I got my first bike, the used VFR last year at 43 years old. So I have been missing the riding all of this time :)

No one goes at something harder than those making up for lost time!

• Member Contributer

Ohlins HO013 Rear Shock with Ohlins 1085lb Spring (matches 185lb rider)

Traxxion AK-20 Fork Cartridge Kit with Omni 1.15kg/mm Springs
ECU Programming by Guhl Motors
Dam Exhaust (Belgium) / Servo Motor Removed (ECU flash removed error code)

Cat removal and weld of two-in-one exhaust pipe
Galfer HH Sintered Ceramic Brake Bads (FD442G1375)
Helibars Handlebar Risers
Throttlemeister Bar Ends w/Cruise Control
Progrip 719 Duo density bar grips.
Rear Cowls (Candy Red) to replace stock silver
K&N Air Filter
Honda Rear Carrier
45 Liter Top Case

Cost?

• Member Contributer

No one goes at something harder than those making up for lost time!

I resemble that remark...

• Member Contributer

Just wondering.

I'd rather not think about it! A motorcycle is a terrible investment.

I bust my ass working two jobs to afford the habit. Fortunately I bought used and was able to finance a good part of the mods.

I'll gather all the receipts and reckon the sum if I ever sell it.

If you want specifics, just PM me.

Outstanding photos and mods. I too love my VFR1200. I did the Guhl re-flash last month and it really transformed the bike. I also have the DAM exhaust , Heli-bars and Sargent seat. Did I mention that I love this bike? Big smiles every time I ride. I'm thinking about painting the rear cowls candy red also. It really brings out the bike. Did you perform the painting yourself or contract someone else to do it? Cost? (if you don't mind revealing it).

P.S. Did I mention that I really love this bike?

• Member Contributer

alot of us don't find you eye appealing either.

Seems to me that many of us don't find you very eye appealing either.

Typical rude comment from you. Every site has to have its trolls apparently.

• Member Contributer

I avoided this thread for several days based on the title. I thought it was going to be another flame war -- well, as close as we come to flame wars on VFRD*. Anyway, I finally peeked. Let me add to the chorus of commendations regarding the quality of your photographs. Top notch! Also, I appreciate it when folks link out to suppliers and part numbers for their mods. What kind of camera/lens did you use for your photographs? I'm guessing a big fat 1.4 f-stop something or other.

* Which is actually not that flamey. We're a remarkably mild and polite group by modern internet standards -- probably because we're just so damn old. Plus, I think we allow Canadians and even Dutchmen to post here.

Archived