Plug Replacement -- Irridiums Worth It?

jaydj

Time for a tune-up. Have had my 2000VFR for 50+ of its 75,000mi. She is getting a little rough around the edges and has lost some average gas mileage. I have done synthetic oil changes and air filter service at regular intervals, but I've not replaced the plugs since I've owned it. As far as I know, they may be the original plugs.

My bike never ever has trouble firing, it just feels a little rough. Gas mileage dropped from a 220/tank average to under 200 a bit for the last 6 mos.

My question is -- go OEM or Irridium? Is there any real gain and are they worth the price? Subjective,yes, but curious as to your experiences before I make a purchase. Any input appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I noticed an immediate improvement in the idling and overall smoothness when I changed out the plugs. You're doing yourself and your bike a disservice by waiting so long to change them. I only had 28,000 miles and the improvement/smoothness was great. I went with the NGK iridium plugs but I really think that the main thing is just new plugs.

I tried to move over to iridiums from platinums last year when I was experiencing some intermittent misfires with my engine last year. The local Honda dealer did not have iridiums in stock, so I just bought myself some "standard" NGK plugs to tide me over.

I eventually tracked down the problem to a bad battery/weak spark that was causing the misfires.. Forgot all about trying to get new iridiums for the bike but heck, the bike is running really well now so I decided it will just be a waste of money to get iridiums when the regular plugs are working so well.

• Member Contributer

I will be doing mine this winter. I picked up some iridium NGK's off Amazon a few months ago for a really good price. Paid around $6 each. it looks like they are around $8.50 each now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSD6HE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

In my experience, the ONLY difference is longevity. Iridiums will easily go 50,000 miles & more.

I went 56,000 miles on my second set of plugs in my 06vfr, bad move, ground electrode was near desentigrated, with huge gaps, surprised I had no runability issues.

40,000 miles max from now on, cars 100,000 mile is okay.

• Member Contributer

Iridiums made a difference in my 4th Gen. smoother/lower idle and a bit quicker to fire when starting. They had them at a Checker Auto Parts for only a $1 more than conventional, glad I spent the extra 4 bucks.

Copper plugs conduct the best. Platinum and iridium are for longetivity.

I suspect that's the case as my bike seems to now run very well with just conventional copper tipped plugs. After having platinums since it's first plug change I do not feel any need to buy another set of them for the bike or change over to iridiums at all.....

• Member Contributer

I regularly see cars with 200k on them and the plugs look fine ,no codes for misfire set in computer .I think it all depends on driving and how hot the engine gets when running intown trips or for longer highway runs . Iridium plugs seem to last longer and clean carbon or unburnt fuel away better than conventional plugs ,just my experience .

The first time I changed the plugs in my 2001, it was at 18k miles. The second time I did it at 58k miles (40k on the plugs) and they still looked good. Next change will be around the 98k-100k mile mark.

My 2003 GMC 2500HD on the other hand was supposed to have 100k mile plugs in it. At 82k miles I developed a slight miss at idle and changed the plugs along with the plug wires. In general I would think the engine turns half the speed of the VFR so the plugs should last twice as long.

I have changed plugs in other vehicles with 130k miles on them and they look pretty bad. Personally, I wouldn't ever wait that long.

My wifes Toyota and my chevy Colorado, both went 110,000 miles on the plugs(normal wear) just a maintenance change out, neither looked as severely worn as the vfr at 56,000 mile. The ground electrodes were nearly gone on the vfr.

• Member Contributer

I am a fan of the iridium plugs. They definitely last longer. I would say they are good for 25 to 50 thousand miles in a bike, and 50 to 80 thousand miles in a car/truck. I would venture to say that people that switch to iridium plugs from other plugs and see a huge initial improvement are just seeing that because the old plugs were shot. They would have seen the same improvement with a set of the same type of replacements. The difference is that the iridiums will perform well for a much longer period of time.

If you shop around you can find iridium plugs for just a dollar or two more each compared to the non-iridium plugs. I picked up my last set from NAPA for $6.50 each, about a year ago.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So after 65k miles I need to replace my original spark plugs. I think I will go with ngk iridium plugs. Does anyone know the correct number amazon is showing a couple different iridium plugs eg. cr8ehix-9, cr9ehix-9?

• Member Contributer

So after 65k miles I need to replace my original spark plugs. I think I will go with ngk iridium plugs. Does anyone know the correct number amazon is showing a couple different iridium plugs eg. cr8ehix-9, cr9ehix-9?

cr9ehix-9

I just bought 4 for my Vtec 64k service.

Honda recommended change interval is 32k miles on the 6th Gen. It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference after the service.

The vtec models came from the factory with iridium right? I changed my factory iridium plugs out for new ones of the same kind at 60,000 miles. They were fine. I also changed the fuel filter, balanced the starter valved, cleaned the air filter, sent the fuel injectors out for ultra sonic cleaning and updated the fuel mapping afterwards. It runs better than new now.

• Member Contributer

The vtec models came from the factory with iridium right? I changed my factory iridium plugs out for new ones of the same kind at 60,000 miles. They were fine. I also changed the fuel filter, balanced the starter valved, cleaned the air filter, sent the fuel injectors out for ultra sonic cleaning and updated the fuel mapping afterwards. It runs better than new now.

how did you update the fuel mapping? Did you send your ECU out if so to who and how much $?

Rapid bike racing module. It came loaded with updated fuel/ignition mapping and I did road tuning corrections on top of that via four wide band o2 sensors.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Archived