Plug Replacement -- Irridiums Worth It?

jaydj

• Member Contributer

The vtec models came from the factory with iridium right? I changed my factory iridium plugs out for new ones of the same kind at 60,000 miles. They were fine. I also changed the fuel filter, balanced the starter valved, cleaned the air filter, sent the fuel injectors out for ultra sonic cleaning and updated the fuel mapping afterwards. It runs better than new now.

Correct, Iridiums as standard. Just taken the bike in to have the shims checked (beyond my abilities on the Vtec) but will complete the rest of the 64k plus balance the SVs myself on Tuesday.

I'd like to get the injectors cleaned but don't know anywhere I could get that done. Plus I'd like the bike back on the road Wednesday.

• Member Contributer

Check around for a diesel repair shop, they'll be able to clean and measure flow rates. You'll have to prepare for comments about your tiny injectors though. It would seem that heavy equipment injectors have a touch more girth...

The vtec models came from the factory with iridium right? I changed my factory iridium plugs out for new ones of the same kind at 60,000 miles. They were fine. I also changed the fuel filter, balanced the starter valved, cleaned the air filter, sent the fuel injectors out for ultra sonic cleaning and updated the fuel mapping afterwards. It runs better than new now.

Correct, Iridiums as standard. Just taken the bike in to have the shims checked (beyond my abilities on the Vtec) but will complete the rest of the 64k plus balance the SVs myself on Tuesday.

I'd like to get the injectors cleaned but don't know anywhere I could get that done. Plus I'd like the bike back on the road Wednesday.

http://precisionautoinjectors.com/pages/about-us

This is where I sent mine. $15 per injector and fast turn around.

• 4 months later...

Copper plugs conduct the best. Platinum and iridium are for longetivity.

All plugs are copper core. Any Iridium or Platinum is just the tip to allow for thinner electrode(s) (better spark) and reduced wear.

...Does anyone know the correct number amazon is showing a couple different iridium plugs eg. cr8ehix-9, cr9ehix-9?

Just looked at the box of the NGK Iridiums I put in my 5th Gen. It reads....CR9EHIX-9 Stock No. 6216

• Member Contributer

My first VFR (2001) was running rough at about 80,000 mi. Decided to do my second valve adjustment (first at ~ 30,000) and the machine immediately ran much smoother. Just another possibility.

As most of you know will know, the original CR9EH-9 in the first 800s were later replaced by the CR9EHIX-9 IX Iridium alternatives. NGK quote the longevity of these as 30k and 40-50k respectively (but whether that's miles or kilometres is not clear, so just as a comparison).

However the CBR1000RR and also the VFR1200 use the IMR9E-9HES which is essentially the same spec with an estimated longevity of 80-100k. These are more expensive, but not that much. So can they be used in a VFR800?

Since I have other bikes that use this plug, it would be convenient for me if I could use the IMR9E-9HES also in the VFR800. So I asked NGK technical and although I was convinced they'd forgotten or couldn't be bothered to reply, eventually they replied to say this:-

Thank you for contacting us! Sorry for the late response. But answering your

question you can use NGK 7556 IMR9E-9HES Laser Iridium Plug in place of NGK
6216 CR9EHIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.

So there you have it, straight from the horses mouth as it were. You CAN use the IMR9E-9HES in the VFR800 if you want to, perhaps because of their increased lifetime, or because you use those plugs in other bikes, or you fancy using what is undoubtedly a later plug (that of course perfectly matches CBR1000RR CoPs if you've gone that route or indeed, simply because you can.

A spot of history. Way back when I was running Honda UK's technical training schools, we often would prepare bikes for the press etc (until they set up a workshop specifically to do that). We would as a matter of course replace any Nippon Denso plugs with the NGK equivalent. In our experience, ND plugs were not as good as NGK and more likely to give trouble. But that was many years ago and ND may well make spectacularly good plugs now, they certainly make other first class electrical and electronic products. But old habits die hard and I still only use NGK plugs. Sorry to annoy any patriotic americans here, but Champion were worst of all and I still wouldn't give them house room. NGK make the best plugs, period.

Archived