CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Anyone have a Transitions™ Adaptive Shield such as this Bell one?

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/other-products/shields-visors/transitions-solfx-clickrelease-shield/

I'm considering getting one to go on a Bell Vortex helmet(maybe gloss black or matte black) which I almost bought yesterday. Could it really be worth $120??

Very disappointingly, the way the padding touches my right ear is annoying.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/vortex-11706

So...any thoughts on this helmet & shield?

• Member Contributer

I have a set of Dragon goggles with the transitions lens. They are super expensive but basically you are getting two shields for the price of one... so when I looked at it that way I was more willing to stomach the price.

Why is it so expensive? Bell and Dragon have to pay royalties to use the transitions name and technology so that significantly jacks up the price.

The technology works pretty well, it could change a bit quicker IMHO but at this point its the best out there.

• Member Contributer

The dye in the shield reacts to UV light, not necessarily the amount of direct sunlight. The tint change is fairly slow, so if your rides include moving in and out of shaded areas frequently, you probably won't be happy with the shield. I agree with gll's comment above. Spend the extra $120 on a nice helmet with an inner half shield. Or, spend the $120 (or more) on a great pair of Transitions sunglasses so you have the benefit when on or off the bike. It is great tech, just not worth it on a shield imo.

I have the transitions shield on a Bell RS1 that I have been using about three years. It tints quickly, but it is slower to return to clear. That has only been an issue when entering tunnels. The tinting varies from completely clear, to partial tint in overcast conditions to dark tint in full sunlight, but not quite as dark as a dedicated tinted shield. It performs similar to other screens in foggy/rainy conditions, meaning you will have to crack it open for a slight venting occasionally to clear it up. I don't have to carry an extra shield or try to fit sunglasses through my helmet, which means I don't have to find a place in my tank bag to store those items. I have never had a helmet with a flip down second screen, so I can't compare to that. I like the Transitions screen and would probably purchase again if I bought another Bell. It has been durable (no scratches) and a consistent performer over my three years of ownership. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

• Member Contributer

considering the number of helmets that have a second flip down tinted shield.. whats the point ? :cool:

Drop down sun visors are ok. Even on the best helmets they still annoy me. I personally don't like the double vision at the edges and they make me feel a bit clastrophobic. They also typically do not have as high of safety ratings as helmets without the drop down. I have asked several times why that is, no one could give me a straight answer.

The drop down shield will sometimes fog in cold weather as well, even with a pinlock on the outer shield.

My personal preference is a transition shield.

• Member Contributer

Drop down sun visors are ok. Even on the best helmets they still annoy me. I personally don't like the double vision at the edges and they make me feel a bit clastrophobic. They also typically do not have as high of safety ratings as helmets without the drop down. I have asked several times why that is, no one could give me a straight answer.

I have been looking into this. An internal sun visor seems like a good idea for some of the rides I do that have tunnels and treed or mountainous sections where you're in and out of the shade frequently. I don't think any of the models with internal visors are Snell rated, which also means they can't be used for track days in some areas. The reason, according to something I read, is that the liner foam is thinner where the internal visor retracts into it and therefore doesn't stand up to the Snell anvil drop test which impacts that area.

• Member Contributer

All of the helmets that have the internal drop down will not pass SNELL testing, see Belfry's post, however, Arai got around this by putting the visor on the outside of the helmet! Arai can be pricey, but it might be the best compromise.

Even though everybody's experience with helmets is different, both my Schuberth C3 and Shoei GT-Air have the internal drop down and I don't like riding without them. It was weird to use at first, but I totally got used to them. Both helmets are DOT certified, which is good enough for street riding and although most track organization say the helmet must be SNELL, many track day guys I spoke to said no one running the show even asks about it.

Here's a link to Revzilla who sells Arai and the new visor system...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-pro-shade-system

• Member Contributer

My solution is a little different. I'm using a Shark Speed-R helmet, with an internal sunshield and these coatings on my eyeglasses:

http://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/transitions-xtractive/

The result is I can deal with sunrises and sunsets out here where you can see the curvature of the earth! My eyeglasses are required to address astigmatism, and presbyopia. The Shark is not SNELL certified, but it is EC approved.

Transitions shields are also available for Shoei, and Laser helmets as well.

• Member Contributer
  • 1 month later...

I have a lazer kestrel helmet with a transition faceshield, and I love it. The one I have has a pinlock insert as well. Fantastic!

Ditto here as well. I too have the Kestrel and the extra large PinLock in their Race Visor is great in cool weather. I've tried helmets with the drop down sunshade and I have noticed the shade fogs even before the shield. The transitions lens is great. One lens, no matter what time of day or night. Also, not so dark that I have ever had an issue with going into tunnels.

• Member Contributer

Subscribed! Since I need to replace my destroyed Arai, I am in gear shopping mode too. It looks like both Shoei and Arai have transition sheilds available. After 2 helmet ruining incidents I refuse to buy a helmet that is not Snell rated. So with currently available manufacturing capabilities that seems to rule out any that have the internal flip down visor. The new Arai sheild with the external sun visor looks interesting, but I would like a good transition sheild better.

$120 seems steep for a plastic face shield.

I realize it's some super spiffy stuff, but I'll stick with my cheap sunglasses.

As long as I get wire frames, they fit right in there just fine. :wink:

• Member Contributer

All of the helmets that have the internal drop down will not pass SNELL testing, see Belfry's post, however, Arai got around this by putting the visor on the outside of the helmet! Arai can be pricey, but it might be the best compromise.

Even though everybody's experience with helmets is different, both my Schuberth C3 and Shoei GT-Air have the internal drop down and I don't like riding without them. It was weird to use at first, but I totally got used to them. Both helmets are DOT certified, which is good enough for street riding and although most track organization say the helmet must be SNELL, many track day guys I spoke to said no one running the show even asks about it.

Here's a link to Revzilla who sells Arai and the new visor system...http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-pro-shade-system

I tried to like the GT-Air. I never could get used to the split view. The drop down visor just doesn't drop low enough so half my view was full non-tinted sunlight, extremely distracting. Also, the drop down visor system would block airflow across the brow so I would sweat more, which would end up on the inner part of the drop down visor leading to condensation and blocked view of the road. It's not a helmet I'd recommend for the hot and humid south. Would make a decent winter helmet however. Sold it and bought a RF-1200. The photochromic shield is now available and in stock so I will order one soon. With these new shields there is no need for a visor drop down system any longer.

• Member Contributer

Here's a link to Revzilla who sells Arai and the new visor system...http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arai-pro-shade-system

I tried to like the GT-Air. I never could get used to the split view. The drop down visor just doesn't drop low enough so half my view was full non-tinted sunlight, extremely distracting. Also, the drop down visor system would block airflow across the brow so I would sweat more, which would end up on the inner part of the drop down visor leading to condensation and blocked view of the road. It's not a helmet I'd recommend for the hot and humid south. Would make a decent winter helmet however. Sold it and bought a RF-1200. The photochromic shield is now available and in stock so I will order one soon. With these new shields there is no need for a visor drop down system any longer.

To be honest, I don't think it would make a good winter helmet either, at least in regards to the drop down sun visor, it doesn't have any anti-fog treatment and it'll fog up real quick. I have that issue with my Schuberth as well. As long as air is flowing, both seem to stay fog free. I sometimes have to lift the face shield when at stop lights to keep fogging to a minimum, so if it was raining, that might not be ideal

Funny, one time it was a bit humid and the sun visor was getting fogged up when it was in the up position, when I lowered it, all I saw was a foggy view! They are not perfect but I still like both my helmets.

• Member Contributer

I bought the Aria Pro Shade for my helmet and LOVE it! Mrs Hip did too, but is now a former rider so I have a spare. It's an excellent system, but PolarBear correctly complains that the faceshield itself doesn't seal properly at the bottom in the middle. Doesn't bother me at all.

• Member Contributer

i wear my transition lenses and glasses under an Arai helmet and have no issues with clearance.

Interesting. I have read that standard Arai and Shoei shields block most of the sun's uv rays, which limits how much transition lenses can change. Have you experienced this?

I ask because I've been considering the transition pinlock inserts, but have heard they don't get very dark.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Bell Star helmet with the Transition lens face-shield. This thing rocks. Its so convenient and transitions as fast as you would need it to. To me, changing and storing multiple lenses sounds like a pain in the arse. I also don't want to wear glasses under my helmet. I highly recommend this lens.

As I mentioned earlier, I have the Lazer Kestrel helmet, which currently only had the Wide race visor available in the Luminous Transitions treatment. Good thick visor and it locks down, and of course, tints during the day. All that is good, till nighttime. Then, the visor itself creates a start pattern glare around light.

Their modular helmet with the standard Lumino visor does not do this, just the extra thick WideRace. For an everyday helmet, the Lazer modular helmet is great. Flows an amazing amount of air! Best of any helmet I've ever used. It is slightly round in shape tho. The Kestrel is kind of a hot helmet and buffets in traffic sometimes. This is the modular I had and I prefer it actually. Super stable and cool.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-window-pure-carbon-helmet

• Member Contributer

I have the Bell Star helmet with the Transition lens face-shield. This thing rocks. Its so convenient and transitions as fast as you would need it to. To me, changing and storing multiple lenses sounds like a pain in the arse. I also don't want to wear glasses under my helmet. I highly recommend this lens.

Agreed. I just picked up one last weekend. Hate having to carry around a spare shield when I know I'll be out after dark.

Archived