New Vfr800's Not Selling Very Well

cavman69

I would buy one, and be happy I'm sure, but I think the 1200 spoiled me. I really want the extra power and better brakes. Just wish it was in the lighter package.

Thanks for the perspective. I'm finding it difficult to line up a test ride at local Bay Area (SF) locations.

I'm empathetic to your comment above, and as a result have been afflicted with a condition known as, "Holy shit I want a KTM Super Duke GT-itis". At 2x the cost of an 8th gen VFR, it would be a tough battle for my wallet, and marriage.

For the money the 8th gen is a fantastic bike. I was quoted 13,000 OTD down here for a deluxe. The build quality is very good. There is nothing wrong with it, other than I already own a 17 year old version. If you are look for a new version of what you have, it is really nice.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even think of paying that much for an 8th gen. There are Deluxes out there going for under 10k and Standards going for under 9k. Even with transport costs from another state, you can find a much better deal than 13k.

Don't even think of paying that much for an 8th gen. There are Deluxes out there going for under 10k and Standards going for under 9k. Even with transport costs from another state, you can find a much better deal than 13k.

Yeah, they are 10K here, but when you add CA sales tax (8.5%), registration and dealer fees it is easy to get to 13K OTD. Price we pay for year round riding I guess. I'm leaning a little towards the 1200 anyhow, and would probably buy a used one.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, they are 10K here, but when you add CA sales tax (8.5%), registration and dealer fees it is easy to get to 13K OTD. Price we pay for year round riding I guess. I'm leaning a little towards the 1200 anyhow, and would probably buy a used one.

$2K in registration and dealer fees?

Holy sh, er, crap...

Sounds like the stealer wants to hit you with $2K in prep and paperwork fees. That's savage butt-rape. Seriously.

Holy sh, er, crap...

Sounds like the stealer wants to hit you with $2K in prep and paperwork fees. That's savage butt-rape. Seriously.

That is why I'm trying to get out of Cantafordya. 10,000 base. 310 freight, 1200 dealer fees= 11,500 + 8.5% tax= 12,477 + 350 in registration = 12,827 I contacted several dealers and they were all about the same. I am leaning towards buying another member's 7th gen anyhow. Might be moving to NC anyhow. In that case I would buy something there.

I pay over 100.00/ year to register my 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Holy sh, er, crap...

That is why I'm trying to get out of Cantafordya. 10,000 base. 310 freight, 1200 dealer fees= 11,500 + 8.5% tax= 12,477 + 350 in registration = 12,827 I contacted several dealers and they were all about the same. I am leaning towards buying another member's 7th gen anyhow. Might be moving to NC anyhow. In that case I would buy something there.

I pay over 100.00/ year to register my 5th gen.

Wow.

OK, seriously, you'd be FAR better off doing a fly 'n ride. Price something outside of Kalifornia where they won't bother with either freight or prep (and I mean seriously, set-up effort for a new VFR is miniscule, so those dealers should be ashamed), and ride the darn thing home.

Must be Arnold's fault.

• Member Contributer

Seems to me the only unreasonable fee there is the dealer charge of $1200 to open a crate, add fluids and give her a wipe. 8.5 percent tax isn't far from or even a bargain compared to taxes in NY (so friends of mine that live in manhattan tell me). But then, I was born in Can'taffordya so I'm a little biased :) Now live in VA.

P.S. I am a little biased against honda dealers. I really believe they are the real cause of this thread even existing. Again my story-I tried to buy a deluxe for over 3 months from my local dealer that I have purchased from before (I'm loyal to a fault) and finally gave up after having them repeatedly tell me I didn't want one even though I went in every weekend and sat on the darn thing (standard) and finally coaxed them into letting me test ride it. And I am a cash buyer so that wasn't a problem.

Honestly, the difference between triumph and bmw dealers (my only experience outside of honda) and honda/japanese bike dealers is shocking.

And to those saying the 8th gen doesn't have enough power to have fun, I offer this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIjIEPKMCBo. I;m not commenting on the rider's style but the bike does seem quick enough to have fun and I love the sound of this puppy.

Seems to me the only unreasonable fee there is the dealer charge of $1200 to open a crate, add fluids and give her a wipe. 8.5 percent tax isn't far from or even a bargain compared to taxes in NY (so friends of mine that live in manhattan tell me). But then, I was born in Can'taffordya so I'm a little biased :) Now live in VA.

P.S. I am a little biased against honda dealers. I really believe they are the real cause of this thread even existing. Again my story-I tried to buy a deluxe for over 3 months from my local dealer that I have purchased from before (I'm loyal to a fault) and finally gave up after having them repeatedly tell me I didn't want one even though I went in every weekend and sat on the darn thing (standard) and finally coaxed them into letting me test ride it. And I am a cash buyer so that wasn't a problem.

Honestly, the difference between triumph and bmw dealers (my only experience outside of honda) and honda/japanese bike dealers is shocking.

And to those saying the 8th gen doesn't have enough power to have fun, I offer this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIjIEPKMCBo. I;m not commenting on the rider's style but the bike does seem quick enough to have fun and I love the sound of this puppy.

I agree completely about the service at the Honda dealers. I love the products, but the dealer experience sucks. Test rode an Indian Scout and the dealer experience was fantastic.

I'm not saying the 8th gen doesn't have enough power to have fun, but it would be a lot more fun with 40 more. = )

• Member Contributer

Dunno, the Honda dealer here in Long Island CIty, in Queens and walking distance from Manhattan, treats me really well.

The small dealer in Nyack where I got one of my 4th gens, he was a total cork-soaker. Human excrement. No shock when his business closed a couple of years later.

Our BMW Manhattan dealer is SO awful that I was compelled to write a web page partially about the suck-fest there.

Triumph is a mixed bag, with horror stories about a shop in Nassau County yet nothing but high praise for a shop near Bear Mountain.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right dealer, regardless of marque.

Soon after I bought my 8th gen in LIC, that shop gave my nephew a substantially better deal on a special order CBR300R than any of the NJ dealers local to him would offer - even one that had the bike on their showroom floor. And the LIC shop dropped it off in his driveway fifty miles and two expensive bridge tolls away in NJ.

They also take appointments for service while-u-wait.

• Member Contributer

My comment about honda versus bmw and triumph was focused mainly on making life easy when choosing and buying a bike. My experience, though limited (4 bike purchases), is that honda dealers don't stock a full array of test bikes and don't offer test rides to purchasers unless part of a "ride along special event". They seem to think you should just buy a bike and hope it works for you -- that's if its in stock. This has been my experience with three honda dealers in my area.

Bmw and triumph stock a full array of bikes for test rides and encourage you to take a test ride.

I don't think this observation is anything new just stating it more to make the point that vfr sales suffer due to the lack of dlx models in stock and the lack of dealer's encouraging test rides. You can't sell what you don't have and certainly if you don't promote it. My two closest dealers kept telling me I didn't want to buy a vfr since it was an old man's bike. I have gray hair so I don't understand why there is a mismatch -- :)

I too have had less than stellar service experience with my triumph dealer even though I have purchased two bikes from them. They seem very focused on selling but service not so much of a priority.

I have actually had good experience from my closest honda dealer service department and accessories. They have been quite good now that I think about it.

• Member Contributer

After being on the FZ8 for about 2 years now and then riding my wife's new 8th Gen, I can say that I had forgot what good wind protection the VFR has. The FZ8 has excellent fuel injection, and with the Guhl reflash to get rid of the factory restrictions, that bike is truly amazing. However, I think it might be time to come back to the fold as I do miss the wind protection for commuting and long distance touring. I just had an offer from my dealer on a Red 2014 Standard with 0 miles for $6,800 out the door. Now that puts the price of the 8th Gen in competition with any other bike and the fact that the factory luggage system is amazing and the bike can be ridden comfortably on long rides has me thinking that it might be time to let the FZ8 find a new home and come back to the VFR. Anyone looking for a truly amazing canyon carver with every farkle known to man send me a PM :wheel: .

I just had an offer from my dealer on a Red 2014 Standard with 0 miles for $6,800 out the door. Now that puts the price of the 8th Gen in competition with any other bike

:ohmy:

The VF800 F sells for 10600 euros (ie 12k$) currently here in France.

The is your Deluxe US version. We don't have your "standard" version here in Europe.

These days there is a lot of competition from naked style bikes eg Yamaha MT09 and soon to be MT10 which have gained in popularity over the fully faired mid size sportstourers like the VFR which despite its update is showing its age concept wise with its highish center of gravity and weight and much slower handling than a lot of the more modern bikes.

I am not knocking the VFRs (I have 2 of them) but riding some of the more modern bikes mentioned above with their more comfortable ergos is quite a revelation.

• Member Contributer

I can't believe I'm starting to see new 2014 8th gens for $7k & $8k USD on the dealer floor now... prices are dropping already!

That is amazing. I paid $8,500 for my 5th gen when it was new - 15 years ago!

I used an online inflation calculator which states: "What cost $7000 in 2014 would cost $4985.64 in 1999."

FIVE GRAND!

Saw this recently in a magazine: Bikes in general are less expensive now in real dollars.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Back to the OP's question......

Interceptors aren't selling because:

They are heavy

They need more power

The list price is high and people won't shop or try to deal.

The wheel base is a tiny bit long.

The brakes are a little wimpy.

The electrical system is a little weak IMO.

And last but not at all least, they have never sold well in the USA and what has changed so that they will sell well?

All that said, go find another sporty bike you can ride all day long and not be dead tired. Go find another bike that, with good rider skills, can keep up with most anything out there...all day long... in the Smoky Mtn. twisties (done it countless times). Go find another bike with such an utterly bullet proof engine that will take a merciless beating. Go find another bike where it is so easy to take both wheels off for a tire change (never discount the value of a single sided swing arm). And, as far as price, there are new ones at a dealer today for sale at $9362 not counting TTL. Local dealers never have the best price. Two others do. :smile2:

• Member Contributer

Back to the OP's question......

Interceptors aren't selling because:

They are heavy

They need more power

The list price is high and people won't shop or try to deal.

The wheel base is a tiny bit long.

The brakes are a little wimpy.

The electrical system is a little weak IMO.

And last but not at all least, they have never sold well in the USA and what has changed so that they will sell well?

All that said, go find another sporty bike you can ride all day long and not be dead tired. Go find another bike that, with good rider skills, can keep up with most anything out there...all day long... in the Smoky Mtn. twisties (done it countless times). Go find another bike with such an utterly bullet proof engine that will take a merciless beating. Go find another bike where it is so easy to take both wheels off for a tire change (never discount the value of a single sided swing arm). And, as far as price, there are new ones at a dealer today for sale at $9362 not counting TTL. Local dealers never have the best price. Two others do. :smile2:

Reads like you have made your mind up ..???

Archived