New Vfr800's Not Selling Very Well

cavman69

I'm in the throes of this topic right now. Feeling like I want to increase the safety envelope around me (ABS, TC) during my 70 mi r/t commute as I await the birth of my second child, my 6th gen ('02) rides great though feels dated without the electronic extras (again, just for safety, not for pure motorcycling joy). Having just changed the clutch and brake fluid as well as coolant, and fixed up some broken plastic rivets to cut down on rattle... the riding experience with Staintunes, Heli bars, NWS hugger, Penske rear and revalved fronts... it's dialed in and great.

Now feels like the window of opportunity though, with an implicit ok from the wifey (who can argue against safety?), before I have two kids to entertain on weekends. Took the FJ-09 for a ride, fun motor, but the riding position made me slouch and fit and finish was not up to VFR standard. Something about that insecty looking front as well.

Tomorrow I test an R1200RS. Kinda wish I didn't read all the negative stuff from other guys on here as it may have biased me, but the cost alone gives me great pause. That leaves a test ride on the new Interceptor, which is not easy to come by it seems. The reach on my '02, even with Heli bars, is a bit long so that's my biggest concern (I'm about 6'1", 33" inseam) with the new VFR. But everything else mentioned about Honda barely touching the engine, keeping the frame... makes it hard to get excited about that cash drop.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the seasonal price drops, though the season in Northern Cali never really stops. Fly-ride!

The RS was a comfortable bike, but it had no soul, IMO. I also hated that boxer engine. It is not a sports bike engine. I wanted my old 5th gen back in a hurry. You'll have to decide for your self. Post your opinion here.

Ridered-- I just did a writeup of my test ride this morning:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81624-visit-to-bmw-dealer-saved-me-20k/?p=1008192

You read my mind, although I thought the controls were very numb. I like the feel of the honda better. The harder the brakes are squeezed the more force required. I felt the BMW always used the same about of force no matter how hard I braked. I feel on the Honda I can feel the rotors with my fingers, on the BMW you just feel the bike slowing.

You summed it up perfectly. The BMW is coldly efficient, where as the VFR maybe slower, but there is just a joy in riding it that the BMW couldn't deliver. I also want to upgrade to ABS, TC etc. or I would just buy a low mileage 5th gen and upgrade it.

Maybe someone can answer: Does the 8th gen have the same magic combination that makes the 5th gen such a good bike?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things then:

Pricing - TAXES ! how much of the list price is government taxes, in the UK it is 20% VAT purchase tax (not sure about any import duties). So does this mean that motorcycle manufacturers will have to make bikes cheaply in developing countries, so that customers can still afford them when their respective governments have stuck a huge lump of tax on top ?

Would you really rather have a Yamaha MT-09 over a Honda VFR ?

Recalls - I bought mine in May, it went on tour almost straight away, no recalls. I am not being used to test a BETA version of a new bike that will spring who knows what kinds of trouble.

Below a picture taken near my mums house, rolling, winding, cresting, diving, farmland and coast roads - magic on a VFR - imagine doing this on a GS1200 - rather have the VFR thanks.

Bikes like the GSXR and CBR outdated because they do not have the computer power of their rivals - like that is going to influence me from not buying a Repsol Honda CBR1000 RR - like it might be a bit slow !

Wind it on in fourth gear .......... :biggrin:

20194684192_e0f97b94c9_o.jpgVFR800 Coast Road by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Took my VFR for a 200+ mile ride today. While on the ride I traded bikes with my friend for about 40 miles and rode is Vstrom 600. Nice bike, but talk about slow. We have nothing to complain about. I could pin that thing at max throttle all the time. On the VFR you have to work to go really fast, but it will do it. The Vstrom is a nice bike, I can say anything bad about it, but I'm sure a brand new 8th gens would destroy it. My aging bike felt it's age in the suspension, it becomes unerved over rough pavement. The Vstrom maintained composure. I am looking forward to a new bike for new tight suspension, and if the 8th gen is as good as everyone says, it must be phenomenal.

My friend did say you would like to buy my bike when I sell it to have a sport bike. I may just keep it, hehe.

• Member Contributer

Took my VFR for a 200+ mile ride today. While on the ride I traded bikes with my friend for about 40 miles and rode is Vstrom 600. Nice bike, but talk about slow. We have nothing to complain about. I could pin that thing at max throttle all the time. On the VFR you have to work to go really fast, but it will do it. The Vstrom is a nice bike, I can say anything bad about it, but I'm sure a brand new 8th gens would destroy it. My aging bike felt it's age in the suspension, it becomes unerved over rough pavement. The Vstrom maintained composure. I am looking forward to a new bike for new tight suspension, and if the 8th gen is as good as everyone says, it must be phenomenal.

My friend did say you would like to buy my bike when I sell it to have a sport bike. I may just keep it, hehe.

If you have Jamie re-work your suspension, it will be transformed. The handling is amazing.

I am constantly surprised at how Honda is cheapening their brand year after year, generation after generation. They have def. lost touch with the average consumer and should start reading a bit more about what customers want versus reality (at least when it comes to the VFR)
I think the VFR has been on a downhill slope since the 6th generation.

5th to 6th gen -

+ Better Looks
+ Panniers

- VTEC

- Cam Chain
- Less HP

- More Bulk

6th to 7th gen

+ Bigger motor

+ more touring

- Less sport

- More bulk

- Fuel Tank!!!! (:O Where they effing drunk)

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Exhaust covers the beauty of the SS Swingarm

- Engine and frame = 13 years old

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

I moved from a 3rd gen up to the 6th. I always loved the look so in the looks department i still find myself staring at it for minutes on end :), but that doesn't suffice for what is essentially a worse bike (quality wise) from my previous 3rd gen.

Oh and how the eff did they not fix the electricals until now... I wonder when we will start hearing 8th gen Reg/Rec issues! :))

Bottom line is that we now have so much more to choose from. No longer are Honda Bulletproof, Yamaha's with crappy transmissions, Suzuki's with bad frames, and ducati's coming with mechanic certifications. :)

So yeah, make the 9th gen 1000cc, put the accent on the sport while not forgetting the comfort, move back to gear driven cams, fix the electrics, and then you can charge what you are charging for the 8th gen :).

• Member Contributer

There are dreams and then reality. Honda seems more focused on making money than leading the industry; maybe in the current market that's wise.

After doing probably too much research on the 8th gen while waiting for my dealer to get a 2015 dlx, I heard a constant refrain: the engine needs to be replaced.

I still think it should be possible for Honda to either 1) just re-engineer the 1200 v4 into the 8th gen with upgraded drivetrain as needed; or 2) re-engineer (cylinder sleeve/liner?) the 1200 to a 1000 cc motor exactly as is and again re-engineer to stuff it into existing 8th gen.

All agree the 8th gen is gorgeous and handles like a champ. All it needs is a better non-vtec v4 and they can sell it for what they want and should sell plenty of them.

Then honda can have both the "Sport" touring vfr in the 8th gen with a 1000 v4 (non-vtec) and a "Touring" v4 in the 1200.

If anyone has Honda's ear please forward this request :smile2:

• Member Contributer

I am constantly surprised at how Honda is cheapening their brand year after year, generation after generation. They have def. lost touch with the average consumer and should start reading a bit more about what customers want versus reality (at least when it comes to the VFR)

5th to 6th gen -

+ Better Looks

+ Panniers

- VTEC

- Cam Chain

- Less HP

- More Bulk

6th to 7th gen

+ Bigger motor

+ more touring

- Less sport

- More bulk

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

I moved from a 3rd gen up to the 6th. I always loved the look so in the looks department i still find myself staring at it for minutes on end :), but that doesn't suffice for what is essentially a worse bike (quality wise) from my previous 3rd gen.

Oh and how the eff did they not fix the electricals until now... I wonder when we will start hearing 8th gen Reg/Rec issues! :))

Bottom line is that we now have so much more to choose from. No longer are Honda Bulletproof, Yamaha's with crappy transmissions, Suzuki's with bad frames, and ducati's coming with mechanic certifications. :)

So yeah, make the 9th gen 1000cc, put the accent on the sport while not forgetting the comfort, move back to gear driven cams, fix the electrics, and then you can charge what you are charging for the 8th gen :).

Do you happen to own an 8th Gen bike?

• Member Contributer

5th to 6th gen -

+ Better Looks

+ Panniers

- VTEC

- Cam Chain

- Less HP

- More Bulk

6th to 7th gen

+ Bigger motor

+ more touring

- Less sport

- More bulk

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

Do you happen to own an 8th Gen bike?

I am going to take a stab in the dark and say that he owns the bikes listed below his avatar which do not include and 8G VFR but confirm what he stated in his post, that is that he traded "up" from a 3G to the 6G he currently has.

But then by your avatar you don't own any bikes so not everyone completes their member profile nor updates it.

• Member Contributer

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

Build quality?

PS, you mean the exhaust covers the wheel. The swingarm is on the other side.

I have had mine now for 14 months and covered 12,076 miles to date:

1. Quality item, well made, attention to detail.
  2. Up-to-date clocks and dials, good anti-lock brakes and Traction control.
  3. Excellent thin heated grips, centre stand that is almost hidden from view and not a huge piece of iron work ,like on some other bikes (Tiger)
  4. 21 litre fuel tank
  5. Handles a dream, corners great.
  6. Low rev torque. It does pull well from very low revs, unlike some fours that need to be revved a bit before they make progress
  7. It is quick enough that you can enjoy winding it up a bit on "B"roads without getting into triple figures ( I do quite a bit of riding in France where that sort of behaviour will put you in prison or big on the spot fines and bike confiscated - serious stuff).
  8. The bike gets lots of admiring comments, from different sorts of people
  9. It looks great, elegant - not like it was made by a Soviet tractor manufacturer !
  10. It sounds nice, when giving it the gas (better with an aftermarket can)
  11. Good riding position, balance between wrists bum and feet
  12. Smooth, only vibey at a certain mid low RPM
  13. Reasonable service intervals.
  14. Starts every time (providing some clown has not flipped your kill switch for you - thanks !)
  15. Victory Red !

Not so good

1. Not a 1000 cc
  2. Rev range a bit limited, as I generally change up a gear before getting into that peculiar 7,500 RPM VTEC bit, which seems all noise really - not the leap into hyper-space just more noise.
  3. The swing arm surface gets chain oil dirty and is a bit difficult to clean, as it is some sort of not-smooth surface.
  4. Horn position above the indicator switch means a few unwanted Pips on the horn when reaching for the indicator that is positioned below - to be fair this is greatly reduced with time and practice - but on continental roundabouts where the bike is leaned over to the left, when going round it makes it a bit harder to reach the indicator switch to indicate right for the exit - easier on UK roads as the bike will be leaned over to the right, when going round a roundabout, and the indicator switch is then more accessible. (the indicator switch is on the left hand side handlebar).
  5. Stock exhaust a bit weak sounding (but looks okay)
  6. Quite high revs when started cold, but let it run for a minute or two and the revs drop - always give it a minute or two for the revs to drop before setting off. It can sometimes splutter a bit if you try and wind it from cold - like it needs to clear all the extra fuel from the choke. When it is up to temperature, no issue.

Overall it is a nice looking bike that is great to ride and not so expensive for what you are getting.

• Member Contributer

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

Build quality?

Hence my question.

• Member Contributer

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

Build quality?

Hence my question.

LOL, yeah...

Maybe it's just more whinging about the TC override button?

The frame isn't unchanged... The swingarm design is improved and there's a lighter subframe (thanks in part to losing the pillion warmers) that leaves more storage space. I have no idea why the main section of the frame would even need any changes. {shrug}

FWIW claimed peak power is down from the 6th gen but magazine dyno tests tell a different story. The actual rear wheel horsepower difference appears to be a toss-up (maybe even more with the 8th gen according to some sources) but more importantly the 8th gen offers much more torque than the 6th gen from around 3500 RPM to maybe 6K. Which suits me fine, personally, since that's where I live most of the time.

Also the 8th gen is lighter, comparably equipped.

Price is an interesting point by the way. The MSRP on a non-ABS 2002 was $10K. A 2014 standard is $12.5K. Adjusting a 2002 price for US CPI lands you at a bit over $13K. Fact is, the VFRs have never been inexpensive.

The swing arm surface gets chain oil dirty and is a bit difficult to clean, as it is some sort of not-smooth surface.

Quite high revs when started cold, but let it run for a minute or two and the revs drop - always give it a minute or two for the revs to drop before setting off. It can sometimes splutter a bit if you try and wind it from cold - like it needs to clear all the extra fuel from the choke. When it is up to temperature, no issue.

The swingarm seems to have more texture than the one on my '97 but WD40 takes the mung right off no problem. Then you can chase the WD40 off with whatever cleaning agent you normally use on your bike. or detail it with Honda Pro Spray Polish or similar. Use a small, soft scrub brush if necessary. If you wanna be fancy-paints use chain cleaner spray instead of WD40.

Is your bike perchance one of the ones that the dealer left set to 3000 RPM idle?? ;-)

After riding a number of friends various newer (and heavier) "sport touring" bikes, I still prefer the VFR for long trips and back road fun. 'Decided to see what's available to replace my 2002 Interceptor with 58K miles on it, rather than drop a bundle on rebuilding forks, new shock, 60K service etc. For the 2014 model, Cycle Trader has over 200 bikes listed and another 200 for the 2015 model. Biggest dealer incentives are for base model 2014 of course. At MSRP, the deluxe makes sense for $1K more, but when the difference becomes $2.5K, I opted for a 2014 base model, pearl white for $9K with no dealer prep charge. I could have saved a few hundred more out of state, but by the time I factored in getting it shipped to Ohio, I stayed closer to home and used the internet quote to get the area dealer to sharpen their pencil.

6th to 8th gen

+ Pannier design

+ Electronic Gizmos

- Lack of power

- Build quality

- Price

Build quality?

Hence my question.

LOL, yeah...

Maybe it's just more whinging about the TC override button?

The frame isn't unchanged... The swingarm design is improved and there's a lighter subframe (thanks in part to losing the pillion warmers) that leaves more storage space. I have no idea why the main section of the frame would even need any changes. {shrug}

FWIW claimed peak power is down from the 6th gen but magazine dyno tests tell a different story. The actual rear wheel horsepower difference appears to be a toss-up (maybe even more with the 8th gen according to some sources) but more importantly the 8th gen offers much more torque than the 6th gen from around 3500 RPM to maybe 6K. Which suits me fine, personally, since that's where I live most of the time.

Also the 8th gen is lighter, comparably equipped.

Price is an interesting point by the way. The MSRP on a non-ABS 2002 was $10K. A 2014 standard is $12.5K. Adjusting a 2002 price for US CPI lands you at a bit over $13K. Fact is, the VFRs have never been inexpensive.

The swing arm surface gets chain oil dirty and is a bit difficult to clean, as it is some sort of not-smooth surface.

Quite high revs when started cold, but let it run for a minute or two and the revs drop - always give it a minute or two for the revs to drop before setting off. It can sometimes splutter a bit if you try and wind it from cold - like it needs to clear all the extra fuel from the choke. When it is up to temperature, no issue.

The swingarm seems to have more texture than the one on my '97 but WD40 takes the mung right off no problem. Then you can chase the WD40 off with whatever cleaning agent you normally use on your bike. or detail it with Honda Pro Spray Polish or similar. Use a small, soft scrub brush if necessary. If you wanna be fancy-paints use chain cleaner spray instead of WD40.

Is your bike perchance one of the ones that the dealer left set to 3000 RPM idle?? ;-)

It revs a bit high when started from cold, and I mean cold and not So Cal cold ! - then it drops to about 1,500 RPM -

My dash is set up to show engine temp, which will show - - when properly cold then by the time it shows 34 C it is all warm and ready. If I remember rightly 34 C is the first reading after cold.

The high revs thing is not an issue as they drop back to normal with a little bit of heat in the engine. I just do not like setting off before the tickover has dropped to normal - slipping the clutch. Just give it a minute to warm up a bit, and then away you go.

I had the dealer turn down the idle at the 800 mile service. They put my hot idle at 900 rom, but the cold idle still tops 2000 rpm. At least it does not last long, and the VFR does not seem happy until it is a bit warm.

• Member Contributer

I had the dealer turn down the idle at the 800 mile service. They put my hot idle at 900 rom, but the cold idle still tops 2000 rpm. At least it does not last long, and the VFR does not seem happy until it is a bit warm.

Hi Barrypz.

Warm Idle at 900 rpm is a bit slow it should be 1200, your cold idle is normal. Best to adjust the warm idle yourself as it is so easy. The adjuster is the knurled knob just above and forward of the clutch slave cylinder on the left hand side of the bike (opposite side to previous gen VFR's).

Hi Barrypz.

Warm Idle at 900 rpm is a bit slow it should be 1200, your cold idle is normal. Best to adjust the warm idle yourself as it is so easy. The adjuster is the knurled knob just above and forward of the clutch slave cylinder on the left hand side of the bike (opposite side to previous gen VFR's).

Thank you

• Member Contributer

I passed on the '14 because it was similar to my '90 in looks and specs. I liked it, but didn't want to pay 14K for something I already have. Then I saw, and rode the 1200...........

Awesome looks - except in magazine pics....I thought it looked like a pig until I saw it in person......

"Hand of God" feeling, rolling on the throttle

More substantial for two-up

Same price out the door

Two different bikes in the garage

A BIG upgrade over the '90

SOLD...............

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I love my 6th gen but at that price range for the 8th gen I could buy a lightly used Yamaha FJR ES and not have to drop another round of cash for hard cases, bar risers, etc to make it road trip worthy.

In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my paid for 02.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I was probably also among the first owners of the new 8th Gen, so had mine for 14 months when I sold it.

What did it was a long haul 3,500 mile trip - and in particular the bit across France and Holland - where continental speed limits are 80 mph (and motorists seems to add a few % to that if you see what I mean). I am not sure what your speed limits are in the US.

So it was four days of throttle pined at +- 80 mph, and being overtaken by larger capacity bikes, that made me realise that 800 cc 100hp is probably still not enough. Touring is a big part of my motorcycling life, not commuting.

But I still like a smaller bike, not the big FJR, GS, GTR style of bikes, so traded the VFR800 in for a Honda Fireblade. The Fireblade has plenty of power, and I do not mind crouching behind a screen to make progress at higher motorway speeds - it almost the same body position as crouching behind a computer screen which is what I do all day !

I have just come back from another dash across France, this time down to the Moto GP in Spain - the Fireblade did the run from the South of France to the ferry port in St Malo, against a strong headwind, in 5 1/2 hours - that is what the VFR 800 would have struggled with.

• Member Contributer

Fireblade is a fine bike but that VFR of yours... throttle pinned for just 80 (or even 100) MPH?

Unless you weigh 600 lbs something tells me you got a lemon.

Or you're exaggerating just a smidgen.

Archived