• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Back to the OP's question......

Interceptors aren't selling because:

They are heavy

They need more power

The list price is high and people won't shop or try to deal.

The wheel base is a tiny bit long.

The brakes are a little wimpy.

The electrical system is a little weak IMO.

And last but not at all least, they have never sold well in the USA and what has changed so that they will sell well?

All that said, go find another sporty bike you can ride all day long and not be dead tired. Go find another bike that, with good rider skills, can keep up with most anything out there...all day long... in the Smoky Mtn. twisties (done it countless times). Go find another bike with such an utterly bullet proof engine that will take a merciless beating. Go find another bike where it is so easy to take both wheels off for a tire change (never discount the value of a single sided swing arm). And, as far as price, there are new ones at a dealer today for sale at $9362 not counting TTL. Local dealers never have the best price. Two others do. :smile2:

Reads like you have made your mind up ..???

Pretty much for this Springtime if the stars and planets line up well. The only other thing I can see that might appeal is the Yama FZ's but I don't really want to deal with a weak rear suspension and they are a little too upright I think. I learned to like the stock VFR riding position and the stock seat never really bothered me. I adapted well to all the negatives I listed above. Really, there are only four kinds of motorcycles: Harleys (that's a stretch), sport bikes, cruisers, and VFR's. So, take your pick.

Honda just sold one today! Just brought it home.

Congrats and WELCOME from the "WORLD FAMOUS DRAGON " ...

Looks like the Dragon tamed him..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Back to the OP's question......

Interceptors aren't selling because:

They are heavy

They need more power

And last but not at all least, they have never sold well in the USA and what has changed so that they will sell well?

All that said, go find another sporty bike you can ride all day long and not be dead tired. Go find another bike that, with good rider skills, can keep up with most anything out there...all day long... in the Smoky Mtn. twisties (done it countless times). Go find another bike with such an utterly bullet proof engine that will take a merciless beating. Go find another bike where it is so easy to take both wheels off for a tire change (never discount the value of a single sided swing arm). And, as far as price, there are new ones at a dealer today for sale at $9362 not counting TTL. Local dealers never have the best price. Two others do. :smile2:

Reads like you have made your mind up ..???

Pretty much for this Springtime if the stars and planets line up well. The only other thing I can see that might appeal is the Yama FZ's but I don't really want to deal with a weak rear suspension and they are a little too upright I think. I learned to like the stock VFR riding position and the stock seat never really bothered me. I adapted well to all the negatives I listed above. Really, there are only four kinds of motorcycles: Harleys (that's a stretch), sport bikes, cruisers, and VFR's. So, take your pick.

Honda just sold one today! Just brought it home.

Congrats and WELCOME from the "WORLD FAMOUS DRAGON " ...

Looks like the Dragon tamed him..... :goofy:

+1

• Member Contributer
They are heavy

They need more power

I don't think Honda has ever done a great job of marketing the VFR line. Sort of like Buells did in the Hardley dealerships.

There have been lots of improvements in the 8th gen. For example the remark about the electrics makes me believe you're head is still stuck in the 4th gen days. The new bike has more reliable connectors and a completely new, more automotive -like alternator and regulator design. Plus the reduced power demand from the LED headlamps leaves more headroom. And the brakes have a great progressive feel and stop very well. But most folks will look at the VFR's price tag and keep moving without even swinging a leg over it, and the sales people won't bother persuading potential buyers if they are perfectly willing to buy the CBR or GL or their ilk that is five to twenty-five feet away.

And yeah, argue about weight, power, wheelbase, etc. but look at the bikes you see still rolling around today with 100,000 miles on the clock. :cool:

• Member Contributer
They are heavy

They need more power

I don't think Honda has ever done a great job of marketing the VFR line. Sort of like Buells did in the Hardley dealerships.

There have been lots of improvements in the 8th gen. For example the remark about the electrics makes me believe you're head is still stuck in the 4th gen days. The new bike has more reliable connectors and a completely new, more automotive -like alternator and regulator design. Plus the reduced power demand from the LED headlamps leaves more headroom. And the brakes have a great progressive feel and stop very well. But most folks will look at the VFR's price tag and keep moving without even swinging a leg over it, and the sales people won't bother persuading potential buyers if they are perfectly willing to buy the CBR or GL or their ilk that is five to twenty-five feet away.

And yeah, argue about weight, power, wheelbase, etc. but look at the bikes you see still rolling around today with 100,000 miles on the clock. :cool:

You're right. My head is in the sand on 8th gens. if you'll follow my posts I'm trying to learn what's changed from the 6th gens. No need for that kind of "stuck in the sand" comment when I wrote highly of VFR's at the end of my quoted post which you chose to leave out or didn't even read. I've put plenty of miles on two VFR's so I believe I know what I'm talking about on the older gens. but wanting to learn about the 8th gen. Maybe you can constructively help me and others that might want to learn more about 8th gens.

• Member Contributer

Mostly I quoted what was relevant to what I had to say.

I did not say "stuck in the sand" but "stuck in the 4th gen days". Read that as "stuck in the past". Which by your own admission is correct. If you want to know more about the 8th gens all you really need to do is look back in this very thread just a little. In the time it took you to get huffy about this you could have read half the thread.

Please go read the thread now. Seriously. There's little to say that hasn't already been said in this thread, two or three times even.

With Honda's blowout prices now in effect it seems that the value proposition is aligning with what riders see in the package. Honda shot themselves in the foot in a way by repackaging the old frame/motor combo in there. I would have felt fine paying the original MSRP with a new/marginally lighter frame and a minimal performance/displacement bump. Happy to have paid what I did for what I have though. Spring can't come soon enough.

Actually, one could argue that the US prices have simply been brought into closer alignment with the prices in Japan for this bike.

1.35 million yen has always been the price in Japan, which is $11,388 USD today, for the equivalent bike to the DLX. (That includes Japan's consumption tax, and is more or less a delivered price- your $9500 advertised bikes will work out to most of that out the door in most situations- add sales tax, dealer prep, and whatever else dealers can tack on)

www.honda.co.jp/vfr800f/

I test rode one as a replacement for my aging 5th gen. It was really nice, but just not nice enough for me to pull the trigger. I don't want to knock it, because it is a good bike, but I decided on something else. Still a VFR, but a 1200 I pick up on Saturday. If the 8th gen was 1000cc and had better brakes, I would have bought one. But for the money the 1200 offered a lot more performance, although in a less nimble package.

I noticed your have an FZ1 in your garage. Mind sharing your thoughts on how it compares to the RC79?

Well, I've only been able to take the RC out for a short ride before the weather hit, so I can't give you a full run down. VFR has much better suspension/sportbike chassis feel. Better seat, too - the FZ1 seat is funky. FZ1 brakes feel better, hands down. Will see how the VFR brakes bed in. FZ1 is put together pretty nicely. Great fit and finish, really, and quite easy to work on. Overall fit and finish near equal to the VFR and without the silly plastic clips everywhere. My FZ1 has the Ivans Performance ECU flash, catalyst removed, and PCV, so it's no comparison there -the FZ1 motor just blows the VFR away for power and linearity. Ivan is a wizard, no doubt. A little thirsty at the pump though.

I like the FZ1 quite a bit, but it's just not for me. Too upright, and maybe a bit too devious with its wicked motor. Suspension can be improved easily, but it will never have clip-ons.

Immediately upon setting off on my first ride on the VFR I was smitten, though, HP and weight be damned. I just like sportbikes, I guess. VFR feels great, sounds great, looks amazing in just about every regard, and is plenty fast. Plus it has a good spread of modern tech.

FZ1 is for sale.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Magsz, on 28 Jul 2015 - 1:04 PM, said:Both the 7th and 8th iteration of the VF/R models are great bikes. Not a great bike at the list price but I know that if the 2015 VFR800DLX had a list price of $8,800 or $9,750 with hard bags they would sell a helluva lot more. The VFR1200 that I spent 10 days on in Europe last fall is also a great bike. A great bike that needs to have hard bags included and the suspension done to approach a fair value at the list price. As they come standard without bags it should be approximately $10,000 plus $1,200 for the bags (all three).

:laughing6-hehe:

Um, you DO realize a CBR600RR lists for $11,490, right??

They are getting closer to real world pricing...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/83274-honda-officially-drops-price-of-interceptor/#entry1033868

Maybe Honda doesn't know how much a CBR600 sells for?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I can't believe how cheap these are getting at dealerships. There is a new '14 in Cedarburg, WI for $6,976. I am almost thinking about it now. Jeez.

• Member Contributer

New VFR's have never sold well. Nothing new there.

On top of that, politicians have done a stellar job of disposing with disposable income for much of the country. Disposable income is what pays for motorcycles. Vote the bastards out!!!!

Lastly, anyone that pays list price for any kind of motorcycle is either nuts or knows nothing about negotiation. Over and out..... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I can't believe how cheap these are getting at dealerships. There is a new '14 in Cedarburg, WI for $6,976. I am almost thinking about it now. Jeez.

That's crazy

• Member Contributer

The 2014 is clearly not a "redressed" 6th gen.  I've owned a 5th and 6th gen.  The '14 has a different frame, engine with different cams and electronics, and is lighter but not by much.  Most parts are not interchangeable.  All one has to do is read the specs. and compare them.  This bike is more applicable in Europe and one that knows geography can easily figure out why.  Honda chose to keep the V4 engine because it works well, people seem to like them, and people here tend to not like inline fours.  No, it isn't a liter bike but the vast majority of people riding a VFR can't use all of it's HP anyway so why should Honda change that?  The VFR has never sold well in the states and Honda certainly looks at the world market when it markets a motorcycle.  It will never cease to amaze me that people will buy a VFR then trash them on a VFR forum.  There are a lot of other choices but, no, let's go buy a VFR then say what a crappy bike they are here.  Go figure.    

How do you figure the frame is different? The rear subframe is different, but the frame is identical. OK, so there are new cams in the engine and a different map, but the rest of the engine is the same as what was released in 2002. When two main components are the same such as these, people tend to call it a redress and not a new bike. 

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that it is every bit as good of a bike as any other VFR, it's just not what many die hard VFR fans were wanting.

Archived