Slip Ons

I just took delivery of a '99 VFR with 8000 miles on it. I'm in love. Anyhow, I want a slip on and price is an issue. Delkevic seems to be the first choice as price is a factor. However, I want to be able to keep my center stand. The pictures I've seen on ebay with Delkevic slip ons seem to be missing the center stand. What's up with that? I found a shorty slip on ebay for about $165. This is something I can afford (after getting a "you just got the bike, what do you need that for" from the GF). Is this center stand friendly? Thanks in advance for all your help and direction, it's appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Why do you need a new pair of shoes, you already have a closet full? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

You'll have to ask Delkevic. I looked up the one I think you are referencing, and it's inconclusive. Installed, it looks like there is the bump stop for the C-stand. I don't see it on the uninstalled parts. It does say "track use only".

• Member Contributer

I have one of their mid lenght silencers & the link pipe it came with had a center stand stop on it.

Mine wears a Jardine can I got from a member here. It connects by the passenger footpeg.

The center stand bump stop is well in front of and below that. I did not change that pipe.

You should not have a problem with clearing the stand if you keep that pipe and only change the can. :happy:

Just ordered the high-mount 14" for the 800 today.

Says I'll get it on 5/26, will let you know how it goes.

I poked around on the interwebs a bit before ordering -- saw a couple guys who said there's a flange and you just have to transfer the rubber bumper to it.

• Member Contributer

I've got an 18" Delkevic slip-on installed on my 2000 VFR800 and it sounds fantastic. I usually run the pipe with the decibel reducer installed as IMHO it sounds better that way. Gives the bike a nice deep growl, especially under acceleration, and it never sounds tinny or brash. The pipe is just loud enough to give a much better and deeper growl but you can still here the gear whine. I have the low mount version of the Delkevic and the centre works fine and the link pipe came with the little foot installed that the centre stand rests against.

post-25028-0-79992700-1431904660.jpg

The quality of welds is excellent, and the pipe looks fantastic. Best $150 I've spent so far. LOL

Love that pipe on the 2000 VFR above. I like the ability to take the baffles out, if I wish, but that gear whine is just awesome. I've done some searching on Delkevic's sight, and have a better handle on this. Took me a minute to figure the sight out. All better now, except for I have to work tomorrow. And I don't mix business with pleasure and won't ride to work.

I know it's more money but I loved my Micron high-mount. The really nice thing with that is the exhaust didn't have to come off to remove the rear tire.

• Member Contributer

I have the SW Motech removeable side racks and Givi's...it is really difficult to use bags with the hi-mount if you like hard bags...

If you ride without...the high mounts are visually MUCH more appealing...

I have a low-mount Staintune. I LOVE the sound, but do wish it were high-mount. If you're gonna do a single-sided swing arm, might as well get the exhaust out of the way to see how sexy it is. But, I do use SW Motech carriers and little E21 Givi hard bags with some frequency, so I've got to stick with the low-mount. You cannot have it all, I guess! My center stand does work fine with the Staintune, though. I think it had a little bung that I transferred the rubber stop onto (IIRC). But installation didn't involve anything more than that and tightening a pipe clamp once I slipped it on behind the cat (I've got a 2000).

Found one used. IIRC I paid $300 for it? Anyway, if I've got a fun machine I wanna hear it. My Viffer sounds great, and I put an exhaust on my M3 that sounds like it will rip your head off...from four blocks away. The wisdom of installing it wasn't fully realized until my wife refused to drive it because "she doesn't like people looking at her." She'll gladdly ride pilion on the Viffer, though.

• Member Contributer

I use a Delkevic 18" low mount and I have a centre stand. The quality is great and the sound is lovely. I went for the low mount like everyone else who uses luggage. The only thing I had to do is flair the delkevic link pipe as the Honda headers have a seal at the joint that makes them wider than delkevic headers.

Ive compared delkevic to staintune, the delkevic sounds nicer but the staintune just beats it in quality, but only just.

Plus one for the staintune pipe here. When I got my current Gen 5, it didn't have a staintune. I had the option for a few other exhausts, but held out. To me the sound of the staintune is a perfect compliment to the Viffer.

Just to answer the OP's question - yes, the Delkevic exhaust has the flange and the rubber bumper for the centerstand preinstalled.

Phone pic, sorry for the low quality.

post-8099-0-94103400-1432413335.jpg

I just unpacked my Delkevic 14" SS high mount...bumper for centre stand was already attached. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the old gasket off or am I supposed to open the flange up more to fit over it? I bought a new gasket just in case but not sure if s gasket is needed with the flange system?

Only real complaints about the Staintune slip-on exhausts for VFRs, especially for the 3rd 4th and 5th gen models, other than they do not provide any power rise (which is mostly ridiculous to expect anyway) is that when new, the exhaust sound that comes out from them tend to bit high pitched and kinda tinny at higher revs. compared to other exhausts like Micron that out of the box comes out with a full bass sound. Kinda like comparing a bongo drum sound to a bass drum, I guess, but then the Staintunes Do improve with age when the stainless steel packing in it starts loading up with some exhaust soot after some years and miles. Still not as low toned as the Microns, but a vast improvement over new. The tinny sound is long gone from my high right Staintune!

I just unpacked my Delkevic 14" SS high mount...bumper for centre stand was already attached. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the old gasket off or am I supposed to open the flange up more to fit over it? I bought a new gasket just in case but not sure if s gasket is needed with the flange system?

I didn't use the re-use the gasket (it came off easily) or use the included gasket-in-a-tube. No leaks, I was just careful to put the bands over the sealing end of the flanges. The sound is amazing...toss that baffle.

• Member Contributer

You need to take off the old gasket; I had to cut mine off as it was well stuck to the header. The Delkevic mid pipe should be a snug (not tight) fit onto the bare header, and I smeared the red VHT silicone that they supplied onto the bare, cleaned header surface before slipping the mid-pipe on. Best to leave the clamps a little loose and give every thing a good wiggle to get it lined up properly first. You might need to rotate the mid pipe a little to get the centrestand stop into the right position.

After feeding the Mosquitos even more it was determined that this system would not work with the gasket given the size of the pipe and the new gasket. Removal of the old gasket was made easier with a hack saw. System sounds nice. The only complaint I have is that Delkevic does not send the nut and bolt for the mufflers support strap.

I didn't use the re-use the gasket (it came off easily) or use the included gasket-in-a-tube. No leaks, I was just careful to put the bands over the sealing end of the flanges. The sound is amazing...toss that baffle.

Was your bike new. That gasket on my 99 was not going anywhere. I do like the sound, nice idling rumble. My wife was a little concerned that I might wake the kids at 11pm last night after she was installed and the mess cleaned . We had some extra fun with the retaining grouse t for the tail piece which somehow fell inside the frame and had to be fished out. I have not tried it with the baffle removed yet.

You need to take off the old gasket; I had to cut mine off as it was well stuck to the header. The Delkevic mid pipe should be a snug (not tight) fit onto the bare header, and I smeared the red VHT silicone that they supplied onto the bare, cleaned header surface before slipping the mid-pipe on. Best to leave the clamps a little loose and give every thing a good wiggle to get it lined up properly first. You might need to rotate the mid pipe a little to get the centrestand stop into the right position.

Thank you for the feedback. That is exactly what I ended up doing. Also made sure that I washed them system off very well before firing her up to make certain there was no sweat, body oils or residual gasket goop anywhere. Liking the sound, can't wait until it matures a little with some carbon.

Archived