Stator&r/r Combo(Electrosport Or Ricks)

CYCLEKNIGHT

Replacing stator&r/r due to burnt/melted harness,stator finally went out, who's better? With all issues involved, higher output,too hot wires,durability etc.. I have an 02 6th gen with 30k miles?

• Member Contributer

I just put a Roadstercycle.com FH020AA on my 06. Bought the Super kit. Not cheap but I don't want to worry about it. The white stator connector I cut off had a melted connector in it so I was glad I spent the money and did this. The stator had already been replaced on bike before I bought it with 19k miles on it (US bike). I bought the mounting plate and mounted the RR sideways on the adaptor with one bolt, as it won't fit upright. It worked out fine. Get an extra foot of wire on the stator side and the battery side and it is perfect. Crimp or solder three wires and shrink and you are good to go. I also installed a volt meter so I can keep an eye on things.

http://www.roadstercycle.com

• Member Contributer

I sent my stator core to Custom Rewind (see post in the electrical section). So far so good. You can ask them for extra wire length and send your connector along if you want.

Order of best to worst

1.) Shindengen FH020 or SH775

from roadstercycle.com

I have tried both. I liked the fh020 more because it ran cooler, but the sh775 with its series circuitry could in theory keep the stator cooler, as series rr's only pull as much power out of the stator as needed, while MOSFET RR's are just a newer more efficient digital form of a shunt RR which pulls all available power from the stator and shunts the excess to ground.

2.) Ricks MOSFET RR

I guess these are okay. I have used their stators and rr's and was not impressed. Their stators outputs were far too high, creating more power for the RR to have to dissipate.

3.) A potato

Available from grocery store

It won't get you far, but at least you won't have to worry about overcharging your bike at 18 volts and melting your electrical components.

4.) Electro sport

No. Stop. Don't.

I installed an electro sport stator/RR combo on my bike. Everything tested out with in spec after installation, then a few days later, I start blowing light bulbs like crazy. Then I hear my radiator fan. It sounds like a F@#$ing jet engine. I get home and test my voltage. 18 volts AT IDLE. Never again buying from them.

I'm sticking with OEM Honda stators and Shindengen regulator rectifiers.

• Member Contributer

I still like the Honda stator and SH775 R\R. Buy the connector from Easernbeaver.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html

Is this thread for 6th gens only? Will the Honda SH775 work on an 2001 fifth gen?

• Member Contributer

I sent my stator core to Custom Rewind (see post in the electrical section). So far so good. You can ask them for extra wire length and send your connector along if you want.

:1:

With Roadster R/R kit.

• Member Contributer

Managed to post this in the wrong thread somehow...

I'm just going to throw it out there as something else to read up on, but a few of the members here are running Compufire or Cycle Electrics series style R/Rs. There is plenty on the forums about these options, so a search will bring up a good number of threads. I went with the CE 605 unit from Roadstercycle, but I have no feedback yet since the bike is still in the middle of an extensive restoration/refresh.

Stator is still OEM. The R/R was the actual 1998 OEM part when I started the resto.

• Member Contributer

I still like the Honda stator and SH775 R\R. Buy the connector from Easernbeaver.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html

Is this thread for 6th gens only? Will the Honda SH775 work on an 2001 fifth gen?

As far as I know it will Terry .

Honda never put the sh775 on a VFR or any of their bikes that I know of. Its made by shindengen, so it is OEM, but I am not sure for which manufacture, whether its kawi/Suzuki/Yamaha/etc. But the sh775 (series) installs just the same as the fh020 (mosfet) installs, its not a bolt on for either the 5th or 6th gen. You will need a kit (preferably roadster cycle), bolt the output to your battery (fused) and input crimped/soldered to your stator output wires.

As far as the compufire series RR goes, I got almost 2 years and almost 20,000 miles out of mine. That's not very good. And during that time, every time I got above 10,000 RPMs, the voltage spiked to 17 volts. That's very bad.....

Like I said, OEM honda stator plus shindengen FH020 RR is the winning combo.

• Member Contributer

I'm with CR.. I think for the moment the FH020aa is the preferred aftermarket R/R fix.

-- Eventually Shindengen will finish development on their "big honking super amperage series R/R" and I'm guessing that will be the one to have.

• Member Contributer

Honda never put the sh775 on a VFR or any of their bikes that I know of. Its made by shindengen, so it is OEM, but I am not sure for which manufacture, whether its kawi/Suzuki/Yamaha/etc. But the sh775 (series) installs just the same as the fh020 (mosfet) installs, its not a bolt on for either the 5th or 6th gen. You will need a kit (preferably roadster cycle), bolt the output to your battery (fused) and input crimped/soldered to your stator output wires.

As far as the compufire series RR goes, I got almost 2 years and almost 20,000 miles out of mine. That's not very good. And during that time, every time I got above 10,000 RPMs, the voltage spiked to 17 volts. That's very bad.....

Like I said, OEM honda stator plus shindengen FH020 RR is the winning combo.

Edit tags

3Unfollow this topic

Stator&r/r Combo(Electrosport Or Ricks)

Started by CYCLEKNIGHT, Apr 07 2015 01:05 PM

I think he was looking for options .

• Member Contributer

-- Eventually Shindengen will finish development on their "big honking super amperage series R/R" and I'm guessing that will be the one to have.

There's going to be a waiting list for that when it comes out! Can't wait . . .

3.) A potato

Available from grocery store

It won't get you far, but at least you won't have to worry about overcharging your bike at 18 volts and melting your electrical components.

Still laughing! Love the dry sarcasm CR. Keep it coming!

• Member Contributer

There's going to be a waiting list for that when it comes out! Can't wait . . .

It been like 5 years dont think so .

• Member Contributer

I finally found a r/r I bought from WireMyBike with my VFRness. I have not used it yet.

It is a Hot Shot Honda Rectifier-Regulator 2001 Honda Street Bike VFR800 Street Bike (10-126H)

Description
Hot Shot Honda Rectifier-Regulator: Designed with Mosfet technology; a cooler running rectifier-regulator. *Rick's design eliminates the use of the OE black wire.

Does anyone have an opinion on this particular r/r? Since I already paid for one it'd be nice if this was better than the oem on my machine which has a HS number code.

• Member Contributer

I finally found a r/r I bought from WireMyBike with my VFRness. I have not used it yet.

It is a Hot Shot Honda Rectifier-Regulator 2001 Honda Street Bike VFR800 Street Bike (10-126H)

Description

Hot Shot Honda Rectifier-Regulator: Designed with Mosfet technology; a cooler running rectifier-regulator. *Rick's design eliminates the use of the OE black wire.

Does anyone have an opinion on this particular r/r? Since I already paid for one it'd be nice if this was better than the oem on my machine which has a HS number code.

Hot Shot Honda Rectifier-Regulator

kdx220%

Manufactured by Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Not sure Rick's really makes it .

I have the same R/R from wiremybike & it's been working perfectly for the past year/20,000 miles. THE key is to ensure ALL connections are tight.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info. That's a start. Next is connecting it to the VFRness. I'm going to look at that tomorrow.

Ordered everything electrosport, cleaning all electrical connections tommorrow while waiting on parts. I know every situation, ,system and bike is different so we will see what happens after installs!!!!

• Member Contributer

Ordered everything electrosport, cleaning all electrical connections tommorrow while waiting on parts. I know every situation, ,system and bike is different so we will see what happens after installs!!!!

Good luck. Hope you come back from the wars alive and in one piece.

Archived