Broken Frame: Is This Fatal?

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

I'm wondering: can this be welded (safely) and is it worth the effort?

This is on one side only. It is the fitting that mounts the rear subframe to the main frame.

post-13282-0-11333100-1426358074.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone. I'd like to not have to completely disassemble too much, as much as I'd like Sebspeed to do the welding. I'm sure it would be a work of art. I can trailer the bike to some one if necessary; thanks for that tip motormike. I'll check that out. I'm just glad I do not have to remove the motor and everything else and scrap the frame.

I rode this bike off the road in Arkansas last fall. The left side got fairly damaged. The rear subframe was twisted. I have another fifth gen ,2001, that took out a deer last spring, suffering front end damage only. So I've been contemplating combining the two. Deltaboxii sold me some yellow replacement parts and I have the subframe from the '01 to rebuild the y2k. I did not see the broken frame until yesterday. I'll end up with an extra engine and some other bits. Before too long I may end up opening a fifth gen used parts supply business. (blush)

I still need an upper (front) cowl and a left lower cowl if any one was wondering. :)

I had my second 98 welded in the same area. Took them the bike with just the subframe off. It worked just fine.

• Member Contributer

I found Braith Mobile Welding when i searched. The guy come to you. Don't know if he's any good.

make sure he is using TIG!!

and not a mig with a spool gun !! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

make sure the battery is disconnected.

AND......I have a complete GSXR minus the engine, so I have first dibs on yer spare lump.

Hey Timmy, first dibs are yours. There is no one I'd rather have it than Timmy's Rebuild Shop.

You haven't put on weight have you Terry ?

Ha! I wish. Still trying to keep from blowing away in the wind. That's why I have to wear heavy boots. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the positive advice peepl. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Oh deer. :wacko:

You just wait 'til I get to LA. :wheel: :3: Hope to head to the PCH directly from SumSum3.

Archived