No 2015 Vfr 1200?

RogueWave

I know sound is completely objective, but I can't imagine anyone hearing a VFR 1200 and saying it sounds "superb". I've not once had anyone compliment the engine note of my VFR1200, but several people have ridiculed it.

Yeah yeah we know, sell it and go somewhere else...

Great community you guys have here.

How about you buy my bike and I'll leave?

Don't mind him, he gets incredibly angry whenever someone criticizes the 1200 :-D ...

I don't get angry when 1200 is being criticized...I cant stand only this one...he doesn't seems to know what he wants, even a single bit.

Hes expecting something from this forum users but we also have no idea what the hell he wants. He should change his nick from ImZombie to ImMalcontent...

We normal humans sell something which we don't like - there's no brain tumor here!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Zombie, you're welcome in this community, regardless of your take on the 1200. I think we can all agree on one thing - it is a love-hate type bike, hence the on-going discussions. That said, I'd never compare it to an R1 on handling...apples-oranges. If you look at it a bit differently, you may actually have a perfect set of bikes in your garage - if sport oriented riding is your preference. Can't get much better than the R1 for pure sport riding and the VFR for sport-touring. I notice you have but 1700 miles on your 1200, which isn't a whole lot to fully vet a bike like the VFR. Maybe go on the summer road trip you mention and evaluate the 1200 under conditions it was designed for. It may give you a better appreciation for the bike. First, I'd lose the OEM tires as in my experience they under steer, lack grip and mileage. Second, have DMr "fix" the suspension - for $700 US you can't beat the improvement it'll make. Let us know what you think when you get back.

As to the exhaust note, I'm with Volfy...I love the sound of the 1200.

are you one of those guys who drives through town at 8000 RPM in first gear so that you can enjoy the sound of your bike???

Zombie, you're welcome in this community, regardless of your take on the 1200. I think we can all agree on one thing - it is a love-hate type bike, hence the on-going discussions. That said, I'd never compare it to an R1 on handling...apples-oranges. If you look at it a bit differently, you may actually have a perfect set of bikes in your garage - if sport oriented riding is your preference. Can't get much better than the R1 for pure sport riding and the VFR for sport-touring. I notice you have but 1700 miles on your 1200, which isn't a whole lot to fully vet a bike like the VFR. Maybe go on the summer road trip you mention and evaluate the 1200 under conditions it was designed for. It may give you a better appreciation for the bike. First, I'd lose the OEM tires as in my experience they under steer, lack grip and mileage. Second, have DMr "fix" the suspension - for $700 US you can't beat the improvement it'll make. Let us know what you think when you get back.

I didn't realize people were going to get so riled up over me not thinking the VFR12 is the best thing on two wheels... I was the first to admit I had unreasonable expectations for the VFR, I wanted the best of both worlds, instead of a jack-of-all-trades.

I think probably my ideal bike would be the new Ducati Multi, but I can't afford that sort of ride. I will also take back my statements about the VFR not being much more comfortable than the R1, I took the VFR out for a long ride last weekend and the R1 out for a long ride yesterday, and I was slightly bored after the VFR trip, but my arms and butt were destroyed after a similar trip on the R1. Guess I needed a back-to-back comparison to get rid of the purple tinted glasses I have whenever I look at my R1 :P

I am in agreement that the OEM dunlops are probably a large part of my handling problems, they don't seem to grip very well. Some people have said they should have been changed out due to age anyway, and they're probably right. Have any of you guys tried the Michelin PR4's? I have the 3's on my R1 and love them, they last forever and grip really well for a "sport touring" tire.

I will not back down on the exhaust note of the 12, tho... My R1 sounds mean at speed, the VFR still sounds like an ATV :P

Seriously, does anyone have a video after a gutting the cat with a slipon? Can the sound of this thing be saved?

(and for the record, no I don't drive through town at 8,000 in first gear, since on my R1 that'd be highway speeds ;)

• Member Contributer

I can run my VFR1200 at 30mph in 4th gear with no problems what so ever, no whiplash through the transmision, drive-train, or what ever you prefer to call it. Get your fueling sorted out, and the VFR1200 is perfect.

FWIW, the PO of my bike put on a TwoBro Titty slip-on, so I never did ride much with the stock can. Then when I put on the Givi V35s, the TwoBro can was a bit too long to clear the V35. I have two options:

1. Lowering the can with a longer hanger strap, or...

2. Shorten the can

I chose #2, mostly for looks. Oh boy... did the VFR1200 sound glorious after that. The wail from mid-range up was reminiscent of an angry Lambo V10 bull let out of the holding pen. Heck, it was so glorious I could hear it over the foam earplugs I always wear while riding.. These days, i wear them earplugs for a reason... I like my peace and quiet, which lets me savor the riding experience, without the distraction of wind/road noise and... yes, exhaust sound.

So in went a P1X PowerTip, which is supposedly good for -7 to -8 dB. Ah... much better. I'm pretty sure it's still louder than stock can, but not bad unless I whack the loud handle. I like just enough feedback to let me know what the engine is doing. Any more, it would bother me to think it might bother other folks.

• Member Contributer

I didn't realize people were going to get so riled up over me not thinking the VFR12 is the best thing on two wheels... I was the first to admit I had unreasonable expectations for the VFR, I wanted the best of both worlds, instead of a jack-of-all-trades.

I think probably my ideal bike would be the new Ducati Multi, but I can't afford that sort of ride. I will also take back my statements about the VFR not being much more comfortable than the R1, I took the VFR out for a long ride last weekend and the R1 out for a long ride yesterday, and I was slightly bored after the VFR trip, but my arms and butt were destroyed after a similar trip on the R1. Guess I needed a back-to-back comparison to get rid of the purple tinted glasses I have whenever I look at my R1 :P

I am in agreement that the OEM dunlops are probably a large part of my handling problems, they don't seem to grip very well. Some people have said they should have been changed out due to age anyway, and they're probably right. Have any of you guys tried the Michelin PR4's? I have the 3's on my R1 and love them, they last forever and grip really well for a "sport touring" tire.

I will not back down on the exhaust note of the 12, tho... My R1 sounds mean at speed, the VFR still sounds like an ATV :P

Seriously, does anyone have a video after a gutting the cat with a slipon? Can the sound of this thing be saved?

(and for the record, no I don't drive through town at 8,000 in first gear, since on my R1 that'd be highway speeds ;)

Well I loathe the sound of a traditional inline 4. I've never liked it on a bike or car. Sounds like trash and reminds me of a trailer parks and Fast and Furious cars :D

After the cat removal and slip-on, yes it sounds good. It's loud, throaty, and sounds proper. At 168/92 to the wheels, like Dave said, it matters much less.

Your sore spot about the bike is exactly what makes it. Due to Honda going with this degree of V4, they could make the V4 smaller, more compact. This leads to mass centralization and is exactly what makes the bike....the handling. That's the best thing I could say about it, mass centralization. After 5500 miles I still can't believe how well this bike handles. I've thrashed it into turns, overcooked a corner, come into a corner sideways, and the bike just shrugs it off. I have overshot a corner, started scraping my boot, thinking I'm in big doo-doo and after I get through the corner the bike is like "wtf you worried about man, you suck, that was nothing." I've never been able to beat on a VFR like this bike and have the bike just deal with it like it's nothing. So that exhaust note is exactly why the bike is so good. Handles extremely well for what it is, handles better than it should so in the handling department it's fighting OUT of its' weight class. That's all due to that engine.

I'd let you ride mine but you are too far away. You need a slip-on (Dam) and you can do the cat removal if you are handy. If not a muffler shop can sort you out. Or maybe you can find someone closer to you that has one decently setup.

I've got a friend who's a red seal welder, so I imagine between the two of us, we can figure something out :)

The Dam is nice, but the canadian dollar is in the toilet versus the euro and shipping is a bitch from europe. I think I might give the comp werkes pipe a try since I can buy that in .ca.

First step is new rubber, though. Anyone have any feedback on PR4's or PR4 GT's on a VFR1200?

• Member Contributer

No. I just purchased my first pair of Slippelins in like 15 years. Never have been a fan and always prefer the Metzeler/Pirelli compounds or Bridgestones. I'm running the 23GT's right now and not a single complaint. Bought T30's (successor to the GT) for my next set and they are sitting on the rack. Bridgestone was offering $40 off (Got my prepaid visa a few weeks ago) so you might look into if the program is still going.

Most around here like the PR3's with some migrating to the PR4's.

the stock Bridgestones sucked...i switched to the PR3s and they made it handle like i expected it to from the factory.....i think Michelin used the 2010 VFR1200 for R&D on the PRs because there used to be a few videos on their website that featured the VFR...i have been getting around 8000 miles to a set of 3's as opposed to 5500 on the Bstones ...they're great in the rain....just put a set of PR4's on over the winter....Michelin doesn't suggest the GTs for the VFR so i went for the standards since i ride solo without luggage

• Member Contributer

I've got a friend who's a red seal welder, so I imagine between the two of us, we can figure something out :)

The Dam is nice, but the canadian dollar is in the toilet versus the euro and shipping is a bitch from europe. I think I might give the comp werkes pipe a try since I can buy that in .ca.

First step is new rubber, though. Anyone have any feedback on PR4's or PR4 GT's on a VFR1200?

I went with the straight PR4's and they seem to handle really well. I've pushed it a bit and the grip has just been there. I haven't gone to the limits of the tires, not even sure the bike would provide the feedback I get from my Tuono, but I have no complaints from the PR4's. My research said skip the GT's, not necessary (I ride solo, often with a briefcase with computer and files in the topcase).

- Dan

• 9 months later...

YEAH, the pig has died :cheerleader:

Just think in 20years your pristine VFR12's will be in demand, from collector of the rare & ugly, it will be worth a fortune as it qualifies in spades :blush:

Ironic, looking at that horrible, crab eyed lump of shit in your avatar ;)

YEAH, the pig has died :cheerleader:

Just think in 20years your pristine VFR12's will be in demand, from collector of the rare & ugly, it will be worth a fortune as it qualifies in spades :blush:

Ironic, looking at that horrible, crab eyed lump of shit in your avatar ;)
Since this thread was brought from the dead here ^^^

This motorcycle is amazing, I have a Z-bomb, heated grips, OEM hard bags and a givi trunk. It's also the non-DCT. It's snappier than the combersom FJR, and the Concourse 14 is just a loose mess of a...thing. K1300 is exquisite, but I haven't run into a SINGLE MOTORCYCLE that can beat me off the line. The Kawasaki speed-death-trap-14, CBR1000RR, R1, whatever. And I live in a town with one of the largest Naval air stations in the world! So a lot of people have money, they have motorcycles, they have model motorcycles! I have yet to lose.

This thing, fully loaded handles better in the corners than my beloved Saab, and that's saying something. So ride better? Also, powershifting. I'm fast, I use the bike to commute, tank is a bit low, but who cares? Buy a car if you want 400+ miles. And I'm sure as shit that I have pissed people off now :-D

EDIT: Lastly, since I'm all worked up about this now, best bike for what it does, and it does everything well, no question...Except off road. Because dual-sport is stupid. I'm NEVER selling this bike.

And while I remember, I've achieved 62 MPG once, and I got flamed for being an idiot. I don't always ride hard. It's not uncommon to do REALLY well with fuel consumption. Some days it's more economical to ride my 750, a lot of times its not.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

snip

but I haven't run into a SINGLE MOTORCYCLE that can beat me off the line. The Kawasaki speed-death-trap-14, CBR1000RR, R1, whatever. And I live in a town with one of the largest Naval air stations in the world! So a lot of people have money, they have motorcycles, they have model motorcycles! I have yet to lose.

snip

Lol, well there are a lot of bikes that will completely destroy the vfr1200, off the line and everywhere else, some cars too. You just haven't come across anyone interested and capable of racing

snip

but I haven't run into a SINGLE MOTORCYCLE that can beat me off the line. The Kawasaki speed-death-trap-14, CBR1000RR, R1, whatever. And I live in a town with one of the largest Naval air stations in the world! So a lot of people have money, they have motorcycles, they have model motorcycles! I have yet to lose.

snip

Lol, well there are a lot of bikes that will completely destroy the vfr1200, off the line and everywhere else, some cars too. You just haven't come across anyone interested and capable of racing

Never said it was the fastest. A 2.7 0-60 is still hard to beat. I have yet to reach that, my best was 2.92, and that bike is more than capable of attaining more than that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

i don't care if someone owns a bike that is a few tenths of a second quicker that my VFR.....i ride for my pleasure and the VFR suits my needs perfectly

I have ridden or owned more motorcycles then I can remember and have driven some fast cars as well. Ducati 1098 comes to mind which was no slouch and maybe a tad faster but I can't remember (so it couldn't have been much better if it was) and a Vette Z06 with mods putting out 808 HP ( a friends). All of that said, the VFR1200 with either a Z-Bomb or reflash is one fast SOB off the line with the right guy/gal behind the controls. There is only a small fraction of cars that might beat it and really only a small number of motorcycles as well. I believe the test pilots for many of the moto mags had it doing under 3 seconds for the 0-60 mph and this was without the Z-bomb or reflash, which easily makes this a faster bike off the line, no questions than a stock bike. Anyway there are faster bikes and maybe a few cars but not many............

A lot of sport bikes do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Its really nothing to brag about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles_by_acceleration

In fact, would you look at this:

This is the road test for the VFR800, taken from the superbike collection :goofy:

0-10 0.38 secs
0-20 1.01
0-30 1.21
0-40 1.61
0-50 2.27
0-60 2.87
0-70 3.47
0-80 4.37
0-90 5.56
0-100 6.73
0-110 8.34
0-120 10.27
0-130 12.77
0-140 18.21
0-153.2 (top speed) 42.41 Standing Quarter mile 11.41 secs/123.4 mph

A lot of sport bikes do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Its really nothing to brag about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles_by_acceleration

Yes but VFR1200 does 2.7s with restrictions...never heard of any restricted SPORT bike.

Try without?

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2013janperfindx.pdf

you can get all of the fastest bikes together at the drag strip and the best rider will win on whichever one that they're on

I had a 2010.....great bike and the styling grew on me.id most likely still have it if the Poland springs truck didn't run it over....don't like buying the same bike twice so I replaced with a 13 cb1000r

Yes but VFR1200 does 2.7s with restrictions...never heard of any restricted SPORT bike.

Try without?

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2013janperfindx.pdf

The vfr1200 restrictions are 1st and 2nd gear from idle until 6000 rpms correct? If that is the case, a competent rider would be launching at over 6000 rpms and not be effected by the factory restrictions.

Furthermore, there are many many sport bikes with factory restrictions. Currently the zbomb is avaliable for all gsxrs 600/750/1000/1300 and cbr600/1000, as well as the vfr1200. Why do they make a zbomb for those sport bikes? Because they have factory restrictions.

The CBR1000rr has a restriction of 9* timing retard being applied from 10750 rpms until redline.

The cbr600rr has pretty much the same restriction from 12500 until redline.

I could go on for ever, because nearly all sport bikes are restricted in one way or another, from the factory.

Archived