No 2015 Vfr 1200?

RogueWave

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

^^ You forgot to mention all the new 2010's still out there. Don't believe me? Check cycletrader.com (and since that's just the dealerships advertising there, imagine how many are really out there). Some dealerships are asking $17k for them, if you can believe that. No joke.

I am pretty sure the 7th gen as we know it is done. I don't see how they can call it anything other than a failed bike at this point. It's truly a shame too since it is a brilliant bike. They just marketed it completely wrong. I would not be surprised to see it reskinned to look more tradional. If it looked more like the new 800 with a bigger tank and marketed like the 800, I bet it would be far more successful. Oh, and drop the price to a $15K with all the options.

I only say this because Me personally; I love the bike the way it is, but I have read the reviews all say the same thing over and over. I never would have bought mine at what Honda said it should be though. At $7500 OTD my bike was a steal!

• Member Contributer

What hurt the '10 is the limited range, polarizing looks, and high price tag.

The 6th gen. displaces 781 cc's and has a 5.0 gallon tank. The 7th gen. displaces 1,237 cc's and has a 4.9* gallon tank. Let's do some simple math: displacement increased 58% while the gas tank shrunk 2%. This has never made sense to me.

The 7th gen. was too radical a departure from the 6th gen. in terms of looks. The 8th gen., on the other hand, looks more like a natural progression of the 6th gen. The problem with the 8th gen. is it's basically a parts bin bike. It's frame and motor are identical to what Honda used on the '02 (the first year of the 6th gen.) The swing arm came from the (now defunct) CB1000R. There are a number of bits and pieces on it that are 6th gen. as well (the rear sets, for example). A lot of people wonder what Honda was thinking with the 8th gen. My personal belief is they had to come up with something quickly to replace the 7th gen. that was clearly unprofitable. When the decision was made to stop the bleeding (actually, more like hemorrhaging), Honda simply didn't have the time to develop an all-new motor, frame, forks, etc.

Despite all this, the 7th gen. isn't a bad bike. I've ridden both the DCT and non-DCT and am quite impressed with it. And if I had to get another bike right now, it would be the 1200.

*I realize it was increased to 5.0 for the '12 model year but that's only good for about four miles.

Local dealer here still has a brand new '10. Finally marked down to $8900 "+ fees". 3yrs ago, wen I started looking at the 7th gen, I told them they should blow it out the door, but they wouldn't drop 1 cent below $12k. Yap... looks like they really want to keep it on the floor.

There is nothing wrong with the VFR1200's design, Honda simply copied the wrong formula. Dumbfinds me why they chose to benchmark the K1200S, a bike that doesn't sell that well for BMW, either... at least not in NA. Had they modeled the RT, they would have sold like hot cakes.

• Member Contributer

I believe I know exactly why this motorcycle is not a "hot cake" in US...

Ok, I'll bite...why? I'm sure we all have an opinion on this one...:-)

• Member Contributer

I believe the VFR1200F didn't and doesn't sell well for a number of reasons. As always YMMV. FWIW, I own a 2012
that I bought in Oct. of last year for $9650 OTD, less taxes. I've got about 6500 miles on it.

1. It was priced high for what most percieved it to be and Americans tend to be cheap on their motorcycle
purchases. Its priced between sportbikes and larger sport-touring bikes like the FJR and ST1300 which is where it fits in
for its use so the pricing actually makes sense from that stand point. Add to the fact that the fit/finish
of the VFR is 2nd to none IMO and still less than the cost of its closest competitor the K1300S the MSRP seems
justified. The look of the VFR1200 is debatable but the design of its parts and how its put together is undisputedly
excellent. Really the only part of the bike that is of slightly lower spec is the lack of fully adjustable
suspension.
2. The market for this type of bike is small and its generally going to be experienced riders who ride a lot that
are willing to pay a premium for a premium made, non-boutique brand product.
3. It was introduced in the middle of a major financial recession.
4. Percieved or real lack of fuel range. Almost everyone of my fill-ups comes after 200+ miles and 200 miles
is what I consider to be an acceptable range for the Western US. The reported bad mpg was one of the big things
that always held me back from getting a VFR1200F but I guessed and hoped it was usual case of people riding aggresively
and then wondering why the mpg is crap and took a chance and bought one. The MPG is there if you care about it.
Better than my 6th gen.

As was said I don't think we'll see another year of VFR1200F. I am very happy with my purchase.
And I hope I am able to put a ton of miles on my VFR.
I am fortunate enough to be able to buy pretty much any bike I'd like but there is nothing
out now that I'd choose over the VFR1200. The S10 would be my next choice.

I believe I know exactly why this motorcycle is not a "hot cake" in US...

Ok, I'll bite...why? I'm sure we all have an opinion on this one...:-)

Who tawd who tawd???? :computer-noworky:

Becouse its V4 does not sound like an v8 or a proper v4 like v-max and it dont have a...well...starts at 37s:

Of course I was kidding :)

Firstable I believe its to expensive. If it would cost about the same as it runs now it would have been a lot better.

500 for a stand, 3 grands for a pannier...common the bike is great but the way of selling it was catastrophic...

Nobody likes a bullshit like that - a few american friends of mine would have shoot a honda manager for that.

One more thing to mention.The MOD MONKEY trend would just ruin this bike. There is nothing you could really

modify beyond some mirrors and stickers. You cant chop the frame and use it as a race bike. The whole

machinery is very well build with no place for non stock things. Its a great thing to archive for a manufacturer, a real

thing to be proud of not necessary a good way to go with your custom ideas.

With our EU bureaucratic society, which can lure you into real trouble for just putting other set of tyres then stock,

the place to just sit a ride may sound like a best way to go. Just fired it up and ride...wait no need to adjust anyting?

Just ride and go? Yes and it handles very well - this is the prime advantage of this bike.

Is it a great fun to own this motorcycle? No, but its a great pleasure to ride it.

satariel666, What are you talking about, that you can't improve the VFR1200 by modifying it or aftermarket components What a load of ballocks.

Not in the way I did my vmx1200 for example. You can buy some stuff like PCV or the ohlins shock, some heated grips and muffler - like for any other bike.

Its not something major like billet swingarm, supercharger kit or NOS...NOS for a VFR1200...that would be a real load of crap.

Its never going to happen like it did for a mentioned v-max.

Its not a first time you strongly disagree with someones else opinions like a hunt for a top speed, a hunt which is clearly beyond your comprehension.

Chill out pops, you aint my sensei.

Yes my opinion, start talking some sense, then you may get a different response.

I don't care it make no sense for You. Can you imagine that mate?

Sense or not, its my opinion and pls save those grumpy epithets for yourself. Cheers!

• Member Contributer

The BMW K series (1200S/1300S) is in dire need of a makeover. Aside from a 136 cc bump in displacement (1,157 to 1,293), it's basically been the same bike since 2004. It would be interesting to see if they replace it with a bike capable of taking on the ZX-14R and Busa. The S1000RR clearly shows what they're capable of doing. The problem is, it would sell for in the neighborhood of $20k and a lot of people aren't willing to pay that much for a bike.

Going back to the VFR1200, I wouldn't mind it one bit if Honda brought it back and addressed the major gripes people have against it.

• Member Contributer

I believe the VFR1200F didn't and doesn't sell well for a number of reasons. As always YMMV. FWIW, I own a 2012

that I bought in Oct. of last year for $9650 OTD, less taxes. I've got about 6500 miles on it.

1. It was priced high for what most percieved it to be and Americans tend to be cheap on their motorcycle

purchases. Its priced between sportbikes and larger sport-touring bikes like the FJR and ST1300 which is where it fits in

for its use so the pricing actually makes sense from that stand point. Add to the fact that the fit/finish

of the VFR is 2nd to none IMO and still less than the cost of its closest competitor the K1300S the MSRP seems

justified. The look of the VFR1200 is debatable but the design of its parts and how its put together is undisputedly

excellent. Really the only part of the bike that is of slightly lower spec is the lack of fully adjustable

suspension.

2. The market for this type of bike is small and its generally going to be experienced riders who ride a lot that

are willing to pay a premium for a premium made, non-boutique brand product.

3. It was introduced in the middle of a major financial recession.

4. Percieved or real lack of fuel range. Almost everyone of my fill-ups comes after 200+ miles and 200 miles

is what I consider to be an acceptable range for the Western US. The reported bad mpg was one of the big things

that always held me back from getting a VFR1200F but I guessed and hoped it was usual case of people riding aggresively

and then wondering why the mpg is crap and took a chance and bought one. The MPG is there if you care about it.

Better than my 6th gen.

As was said I don't think we'll see another year of VFR1200F. I am very happy with my purchase.

And I hope I am able to put a ton of miles on my VFR.

I am fortunate enough to be able to buy pretty much any bike I'd like but there is nothing

out now that I'd choose over the VFR1200. The S10 would be my next choice.

You hit the nail on the head with 2 and 3, and Satarie correctly points out the expensive options had an influence too. This bike should have come stock with bags or adjustable suspension at the original asking price. That said, I love my 1200.

500 for a stand, 3 grands for a pannier...common the bike is great but the way of selling it was catastrophic...

Are you talking SFr here as I've never seen listprices that high. When you bought the bike without hardcases and later bought them seperatly, then yes, I too think the price of those is very steep. But several European distributors offered a Grand Tour version that came with the panniers, heated grips, center stand and touring screen for about an extra €1500. Honda UK still has it on their website: http://bikes.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/sport-touring/vfr1200f-2013/specifications.html

• Member Contributer

the 1200 didn't sell in the USA because our economy is in the crapper

Don't tell the auto manufacturers that. They seem to be doing quite well the last couple of years.

Are you talking SFr here as I've never seen listprices that high. When you bought the bike without hardcases and later bought them seperatly, then yes, I too think the price of those is very steep. But several European distributors offered a Grand Tour version that came with the panniers, heated grips, center stand and touring screen for about an extra €1500. Honda UK still has it on their website: http://bikes.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/sport-touring/vfr1200f-2013/specifications.html

Yeah sure, the year 2012 onward was already cheaper after Honda realized its too damn expensive. Since 2010 they dropped the price tag at least 20% for motorcycle and accessories.

I remember seeing in 2010 side panniers with top box for 2400 euro a set in Germany - I'm talking the dealer price when buying a new bike. Spooky stuff.

Yea, I agree with a user somewhere above that the 1200 as we know it is done and gone and is already replaced by the Interceptor.

After the initial offering flop due to the high price tag and no dealer allowing test rides due to low stock and basically Honda being too proud of their ish, Honda had a chance to recover on the 2012. Actually they had multiple chances and they blew it. All they had to do was listen to their customer base or maybe god forbid hop on a board like this but they didn't. I remember back when we were waiting for the 12s to come out and all people wanted was a normal color for the U.S. market and some other small things fixed. What did they come out with? Light Blue? Not that its a bad color but Lt blue is not a very popular on any type of motorcycle in the U.S.. Hell, do it like Kawasaki. Offer whatever color and black. By the time the 13s came out it was too late for Honda on this bike.

Archived